Fix for bricked 920's after reset. Flash Process defined inside!

timetex

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Mine's going back. I went to another EE store and purchased a replacement on PAYG, and popped my TMUK and then my EE SIM in (UK) and everything works...

So they can take back the faulty phone and credit me...

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
i can't install the second file, it won't let me install it because it first says I need windows VC ++ 2010 redisbuted then it says to download teh 2005 VC +++ SP1 , and repeats this even after I download that version.

I have windows 7. I have a windows 8 computer, i doubt that will work. Any help would be much appreciated.

- Bob

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Here is the million dollar question. Is this a permanent fix or those that had this issue will just have it again the next time they hard-reset?

itxjobe

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Here is the million dollar question. Is this a permanent fix or those that had this issue will just have it again the next time they hard-reset?

No unfortunately the image is broken OOB. They will need to release a new full image with the fixes in it for the reset in the software to work correctly. I have wiped and rewiped and tried reset and it will still brick the phone.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
No unfortunately the image is broken OOB. They will need to release a new full image with the fixes in it for the reset in the software to work correctly. I have wiped and rewiped and tried reset and it will still brick the phone.

So even replacement 920s have this issue and it's chance related?

itxjobe

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So even replacement 920s have this issue and it's chance related?

I have seen a majority of them still doing it. I even called my AT&T business rep at my local store, had him pull out a new one, start it up, reset it, and it froze. Others haven't had the issue, its been hit or miss, mostly hit.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
i can't install the second file, it won't let me install it because it first says I need windows VC ++ 2010 redisbuted then it says to download teh 2005 VC +++ SP1 , and repeats this even after I download that version.

I have windows 7. I have a windows 8 computer, i doubt that will work. Any help would be much appreciated.

- Bob
I tried it on my windows 8 computer and it didn't work :( good news I bought a new phone from the microsoft store and returned the bad unit to at&t

Emcee

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have seen a majority of them still doing it. I even called my AT&T business rep at my local store, had him pull out a new one, start it up, reset it, and it froze. Others haven't had the issue, its been hit or miss, mostly hit.

Personal experience: First one bricked, second one worked just fine. It's random.

alzam

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm unable to get the recovery process to begin. Here is what happens....

I press the volume down and power button and then press retry on the recovery tool.
I immediately release both buttons and press the volume up button and hold it. I'm always returned to the screen with the lightning bolt and gear.

Any ideas or tips? Anyone else running into the same problem?

Thanks,
Alex

Silly Putty

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

I press the volume down and power button and then press retry on the recovery tool.
I immediately release both buttons and press the volume up button and hold it. I'm always returned to the screen with the lightning bolt and gear.

Thanks,
Alex

Same here

DharmeshP304

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much. This saved my phone. For those wondering, I've been experiencing random freezes when on calls and using bluetooth. After flashing my phone, I've experienced the freeze at least once. It's only been a couple days, so I'm sure I'll experience it more.

Tried doing a factory reset, it was taking too long (20+ minutes) so I restarted during factory reset and bricked my phone. AT&T wouldn't help me because I had dropped my phone once, and there was a small chip in it. I'm very confident the drop did not cause the issues I am having, but their policy is not to exchange phones that have been dropped.

Anyway, phone is back up and running.

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Thanks,
Alex

That happened to me. The instructions in the program were slightly different from what's posted here so I just followed them and it seemed to work. If I recall correctly it didn't involve holding down the volume up button...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo