Fix for bricked 920's after reset. Flash Process defined inside!

Red87

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Unable to get this to work. Product Support tool cannot see the rm-821 stuff and I have downloaded and redownloaded and checked and double checked directory structure. It is in the C:\Program Data\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-821. I really don't know what to do as everything that would normally work in troubleshooting has failed me.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Looks like I'm going to need this now as my 920 has the endless cogs issue... If the instructions work I'll re-sticky the thread :)

Red87

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Unable to get this to work. Product Support tool cannot see the rm-821 stuff and I have downloaded and redownloaded and checked and double checked directory structure. It is in the C:\Program Data\Nokia\Packages\Products\rm-821. I really don't know what to do as everything that would normally work in troubleshooting has failed me.

Found the issue. Make sure you are using an updated version of Nokia care suite. All the OP's links are dead and the one posted above mine is an old version that does not support the Lumia 920. You can, however, go into the Nokia Care Suite and there is a check for update button that will allow you to auto-update to the most current version.

sheriffmitchell

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Tried for six hours today to do this - finally got the correct FW in place in the care suite but the handset hung on the gear and lightning symbol. And refused to get any further. This is most frustrating thing I'm ever encounter. I had to use my dads old PC on a terribly slow connection as I'm a Mac user. Going to try another PC at a friends house tomorrow.

I emailed Stephen Elop in a fit of rage on Xmas Eve. His response was

"Hello there,

I am sorry that you have encountered these problems. I will ask my team to assist.

Regards,

Stephen"

Good that he got back to me but of course I won't hear anything for days yet. I really want to avoid having to take the phone into a phone shop, although I took out a new contract to get the 920 only a month ago I know from other users that EE will refuse to put it right as it's over the 14 day period.

I'll try to update the Care Suite tomorrow to make sure I have the latest version. When I tried today it said I had insufficient privileges to do this. After years of using Macs I've completely forgotten all my Windows know-how.

mav4life

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
My phone finally crashed after my first reset on portico.

I have a couple dings on it from falls and I'm wondering if I should take it back to ATT and maybe get a new one or just try this process and save myself the trouble of going to att?

What were people's luck in exchanging it, did y'all get a new one or refurb?

Mika_Laurens

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Solution for people face Qualcomm MSM drivers is try installing nokia pc suite, or plug others Nokia with symbian that have usb setting "connect to pc suite" because a driver will be automatically installed and change Qualcomm MSM to RM-821 Lumia 920 (but still asking for driver)

This driver's issue makes me so frustating for a day!

But, finally because of luck, i found the solution, please try my solution:

- Connect Lumia 920 via usb
- Then open wifi
- Connect to internet
- Open phone's setting
- Open Phone Update
- Check for updates. At this time, windows 7 will automatically install driver for Lumia 920 (the installation is something about Winusb driver)
- then after installation, in device manager rm-821 nokia lumia 920 will change to Nokia USB Connectivity
- DONE

For flashing with Nokia Care Suite,
unplug Lumia from USB, then:

Nokia_Care_Suite_5.0_2012.45.4.5 Directions:
1. Launch Nokia Care Suite
2. Click the Product Support Tool for Store 5.0
3. Click File
4. Click Open Product
5. Choose RM-821 (Nokia Lumia 920)
6. On the bottom left click Programming
7. Click Recovery
8. You should see the firmware you downloaded and copied earlier under the Properties field.
9. Click Start
10. The software will check the package contents, it will fail to find the phone, and ask you to reboot and give you a button to click retry.

- Plug the phone to usb
- Hold the Volume Down and the Power button till vibrate
- Click Retry
- You will see the software say "Rebooting"
- Wait the process.
- Done, your Lumia 920 is flashed to new firmware :)

the only problem i face now is when i connect to nokia care suite, the fuse application always stopped. I don't know why but I don't care because i have succesfully flashing my Lumia 920 :)

Hope this can help you, if succeed, please respond and write your exact step, because I found it only because of luck not in exact step.

vieuxclou

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Excuse me but i tried it all night long and nothing.
Everything works fine except on this step.

1. Plug the phone into your PC
2. Hold the Volume Down and the Power button, click RETRY on the Product Support Tools Window
3. After you feel a vibration in the phone immediately release the Volume Down and the Power button and hold the Volume up button.

When i do this (step 1 to 3) my phone automatically return to the cog wheel screen, and nokia suite to the retry screen, i continue to hold the
up button but nothing happen:unhappysweat:

4. Continue to hold the volume up button, you will see the software say "Rebooting"
5. After about 15 seconds you will see a top NOKIA logo and the software will start flashing the phone.

i didn't see step 4, nokia care always show me ths screen with retry :unhappysweat:

i don't know if battery level could influence the process ? because my battery level was low, i charge it all nigt and it still shows me the battery on my Lumia 920 (sometimes).

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Vieux, your issue seems to be that you are not holding the volume up button immediately after you feel the short vibration. You need to do that to put the phone in a state where it can be flashed

mav4life

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I just went to ATT about this and after an hour, they decided to restart the phone without the SIM in.

Guess what? It finally boot up after all that. So maybe if before you try reflashing, try taking out the sim and rebooting the device.

My info: 920 was stuck on spinning gears after portico hard reset.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue with one I was returning directly to Nokia. Did a reset to wipe my data and got stuck on the gears. Following all the directions but I never could get Nokia Care to see the phone to flash it. Tried Several times with no luck.

Finally just went ahead and popped the sim card and put it into my replacement 920 and did a soft reset and it booted right up.

FUR2D2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
on step #8

8. When complete, browse to: C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages

When I look for that folder its not there. Am I doing something wrong or what?

FUR2D2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It's a hidden folder, make sure you can see them in the view option of your window.

how do I do that? I cant seem to find anything. I'm on windows7 BTW

edit: I found the option for hidden folders but it was already checked. I copy and pasted the C/ url from above and it still doesn't take me to that folder.

FUR2D2

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I figured out my mistake from earlier but now it keeps telling me I have to install the VC ++ packs even after I already did. Anyone had this issue or know what I'm doing wrong this time?

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I figured out my mistake from earlier but now it keeps telling me I have to install the VC ++ packs even after I already did. Anyone had this issue or know what I'm doing wrong this time?

you have to install both the VS C++ 2010 redistributable and the 2005 redistributable service pack 1.

They both exist to download from Microsoft's site just may need to hunt for them. Also you want the x86 versions not x64 :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077