Fix for bricked 920's after reset. Flash Process defined inside!

solaris2k

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm about to ebay my phone since I've switched over to android and when I went to reset the phone it was stuck on the gear and cogs screen forever. I actually fell asleep waiting for it to load. When I woke up a few hours later it was still stuck on the screen. Anxiously, I jumped on these forums to find the a solution and found this thread. Couldn't install Nokia Care Suite on my main computer running Windows 8 so I switched to a Windows 7 laptop. Had to update VC++ and finally it installed. This didn't work on the Windows 8 machine. While I was downloading the FFU file I decided to plug in the phone to a mains to let it charge. It took about 10 minutes to download all the contents and when I went to look at the screen I noticed it had actually loaded back into the initial setup screen! I'm so relieved this damn thing is finally able to boot up again and I can make the sale and be rid of this thing once and for all. I used to love this phone but doing something as mundane as doing a restore to factory settings possibly bricking these phones is ridiculous and should be fixed soon.

flashmaster591

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone

Was in the process of the doing the downloads and while doing so I read through all the other posts. Tried removing the SIM card like some people suggested a few pages back and the reset worked fine within 5-10 mins.

My phone is Nokia 920 White locked to EE UK but purchased sim free from Phones 4U at launch and has since had portico update installed

Just thought I would remind people to try this first as my gears were stuck spinning for over an hour

Thanks to everyone on this thread - best community ever

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, I had to reset my Lumia 920 today because i was running out of space due to that weird and ill-explained "Other" section taking up more than 15GB of storage. Sure enough, the phone was stuck at the "spinning cogs" thing, and I had to resort to flashing it this way. Good thing I keep a copy of Windows 7/VMWare and was able to fire it up on my iMac. Good thing you posted these instructions too, so thanks for that.

But this is unacceptable and Nokia should be ashamed of themselves for shipping a product with a broken image that they haven't rectified.

Zster

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to share that my hard reset 920 brick cured itself.

After 2 hours of spinning wheels after a software-hard restet i did a but button-hard reset.
I then read the article about flashing my device and started to find the stuff i needed. While i did that i, out of frustation, did another button-hard reset and again maybe 15 minutes later. After 4 hard resets the phone suddenly restarted after another 5 minutes of spinning wheels. Booting up as it should! Ironically as it booted up the Nokia Care Suite was opening with the flash files ready.
It looks like i doesn't need them anyway.

MOPHR3AK

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm having trouble installing Nokia Care Suite.... says i need to "Modify" my system. I'm a windows n00b.... can someone help me out? What do i need to do to get Nokia Care Suite to install?

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Flashed my phone last night after it got stuck on the cogs doing a hard reset. Before I reset it I had Portico. After the flash though my phone no longer finds any updates. I'm pretty sure I don't have Portico installed (WIFI always on for one isn't an option).

I'm on T-Mobile in the UK which I guess would come under the EE option. I downloaded the 1232.2110.1244.3011 release which I believe is the right one.
My phone shows the OS version at 8.0.9903.10 which I believe is pre-Portico.

Anyone know why it now can't find the Portico update?

Cheers.

yukit

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone figure out the proper ROM for Portico for developer BUILD phones? Still waiting on the update here...
No. Still getting by with AT&T firmware (1232.5951.1249.001) on T-Mobile service.

I am not sure if Portico version of developer BUILD firmware exists in the wild. My BUILD phone was stock till a few weeks ago; the phone got bricked when I tried to reset it. It never received Portico Update.

As long as the phone is working for general use (call, text, wifi hot-spot & apps) I can live with it, but it would be nice to get the unbranded firmware.

RTPGiants

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
No. Still getting by with AT&T firmware (1232.5951.1249.001) on T-Mobile service.

I am not sure if Portico version of developer BUILD firmware exists in the wild. My BUILD phone was stock till a few weeks ago; the phone got bricked when I tried to reset it. It never received Portico Update.

As long as the phone is working for general use (call, text, wifi hot-spot & apps) I can live with it, but it would be nice to get the unbranded firmware.

So in my situation the issue is it got passed to me so it's got another person's MS account on it. Haven't factory reset because I've been waiting for Portico to solve the bricking problem (which I guess maybe isn't the case as it turns out). Assuming I reset it, wouldn't Rodgers be the best choice? I thought AT&T disabled some radios?

yukit

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Assuming I reset it, wouldn't Rodgers be the best choice? I thought AT&T disabled some radios?
I tried a couple of Rogers firmware, but it would not load. Maybe it is because I already put ATT version on my phone.

I tried to download the 1002 version mentioned in this thread (also on XDA-dev site) but I got a validation error from the Nokia support app. Maybe I need to try downloading the files again, but I can just easily give up on the phone. I have been meaning to checkout the new Nexus.

mr2gud2u

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
I have been fighting with this all night. I have everything setup, but I cant update my care suite. It say I don't have rights to update.

inffy

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have been fighting with this all night. I have everything setup, but I cant update my care suite. It say I don't have rights to update.

Do not update to the latest version of Care Suite, it will require passwords to get in the flashing part of the program.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just do it "offline" (down right) and "no connection" setting (up left) ... and chose your phone (rm-821) by click File and then Open Product ... if you have files in a right folder (rm-821), then you are ready to go ... click programming and recovery (you can flash any fw by this way), to start flashing ... it check first your files (your can see your files listed on a display, if you have them in a right place, in a right folder) ... it gives you an instruction window, to soft reset your phone and then imm. after vibration, click "retry" on a display ... and then you can look flashing process on your phone display - it does not take a long ...

Edit: rm-821 is for International Lumia 920 ...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion