Weather app for 920 with WORKING live tiles?

pjeung

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I like the MS weather app. It's so simple, and kind of blends in with the other "standard" tiles, and yes it updates in a timely manner =)

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I like the MS weather app. It's so simple, and kind of blends in with the other "standard" tiles, and yes it updates in a timely manner =)
What I didn't like was that when opening from the tile, it only opens the city that is pinned. There didn't seem to be a way to get to another city without opening the app from the app list. Also, it doesn't change locations as you move. The pinned location is the pinned location, not your current location.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Amazing Weather does work. I just forgot that you have to PIN your location to the start screen, not just pin the app...

pjeung

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What I didn't like was that when opening from the tile, it only opens the city that is pinned. There didn't seem to be a way to get to another city without opening the app from the app list. Also, it doesn't change locations as you move. The pinned location is the pinned location, not your current location.

ahh yes that is true.. I guess i'm selfish and only care about the weather that directly affects me haha.

leftturney

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've just been using USA Today because it flips between highlight photos and the weather, but the app itself doesnt have much weather info.

anon(361265)

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
You are pinning the livetile to the home screen, right? Swiping over to the apps and holding on the app icon to pin it will not give you live updates. Most weather apps have a "pin" button when you have the app open and running.

Most "metro" style weather apps are really weak on the information side of things. The stock weatherchannel app, as fugly as it is, is the only one I like.

Can you elaborate on this please? I don't know a method of pinning something besides swiping to the Apps screen, long pressing, and selecting Pin.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Can you elaborate on this please? I don't know a method of pinning something besides swiping to the Apps screen, long pressing, and selecting Pin.

Apps can support multiple tiles, not just the primary. You could, for example, Pin two different cities weather or two of your favorite sports teams. The primary tile isn't necessarily live.

In weather channel (Nokia version) you go to locations, long press on the location, and select show live tile. This sort of thing is app specific.

anon(5399450)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The Weather Channel by Nokia works the best for me. There is an "identical" app out by Microsoft that was updated more recently that works as well, but I don't like it as much because the live tile seems to be lower res/quality, although it does flip through an extra animation (a map I believe).

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the Nokia one installed. I pinned it ad a large size tile and the graphics look great. The backside shows a 3 day forecast.

racerjim

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You are pinning the livetile to the home screen, right? Swiping over to the apps and holding on the app icon to pin it will not give you live updates. Most weather apps have a "pin" button when you have the app open and running.

Most "metro" style weather apps are really weak on the information side of things. The stock weatherchannel app, as fugly as it is, is the only one I like.

This solved the issue for me.....thank you stig!

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm using World Weather Free. Very thorough. The live tiles work and it flips showing the High and Low along with current temp and then current temp with a "Feels Like" temp. Also, I think the live tile shows a scene from somewhere close to your location, since mine shows up with a beach type scene. Also, the scene changes with the time off day and current conditions. Looks to have Dawn, mid-day, dusk, and night tiles.... The program itself has some pretty neat features.

TotalLamer

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, one type of app Windows Phone ISN'T lacking in is weather apps, haha. :winktongue:

I like Microsoft Weather, Weather Flow and Weather Master, personally.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I will be setting up my 920 this week...moving from a Titan II. On WP 7.5 Amazing Weather, and WeatherLive work beautiful. Live tiles update on location. Granted, it is done hourly or so, therefore, I could be in a new city and the tile has not updated yet. I compared the two, and couldn't decide, so I purchased both.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234