03-20-2013 10:53 PM
52 123
tools
    Rajesh, some providers seem to be more compatible with each other than others.

People on T-mobile and Fido have been reporting more success than people on other providers. Some people on Bell and Wind are reporting successful MMS configurations only. People with AT&T devices are not even able to unlock their phones yet.

Posting links that don't provide solutions for people having problems or telling people their information is incorrect without providing correct information is not very helpful...

The point we're trying to make here is the phone is not working the way it should when unlocked.
    Who's to blame? We don't know yet.
    Is it fixable? For many, No. For some Yes, but requires research and tinkering and headaches.

We'd love see a simple solution or at least hear something from Nokia or Microsoft or the Carriers that they're looking into the issue.

If someone has a fix for Telus, I'd love to hear it. The fix on XDA is not working very well.

Richhy,

That link was provided for the previous poster who asked me to show him one person who had Internet Sharing working on a branded 920. I did just that.

As for the rest, I am only responding to your point about something being baked into the Rogers ROM that prevents the rest of the carriers working properly. If that was indeed the case, we should have similar behaviour across all carriers (with the exception of Fido, which is on the Rogers network, so the discussion about Fido is moot).

I agree with your point that the no one seems to found settings that work for Telus or some other carriers - but that's a different discussion than trying to work with Nokia/MS to see if there is an issue with the ROM. Maybe there is, but it would seem that we need to find the correct settings.

And as for providing solutions, I was trying to help determine what the problem was here. We do have folks who have tethering working - so why not connect with them to see what they've done?
    11-20-2012 04:42 PM
    For APN settings on the 920 I can enter one APN that works for Data only

On Telus' website they tell you to enter sp.telus.com for data and this works fine on the 920
    For tethering Telus tells you to enter isp.telus.com in the APN settings. This kills data on the 920.
    https://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/...etupdata.shtml

The iPhone for example has two APN settings, one for Data and one for Tethering. As seen here:
    iOS: About cellular data network settings (viewing or editing the APN)

On an Android phone, do you need to enter both the APN's to get tethering working with data?
    11-20-2012 04:46 PM
    Richhy,

That link was provided for the previous poster who asked me to show him one person who had Internet Sharing working on a branded 920. I did just that.

How is that proof?????? If it was XDA I might actually believe it - not hofo.

One guy says he can do it with no evidence and that is proof?

Also, there was an initial batch of Rogers phones that came out prior to oficial launch that were unlocked out of the box - possibly debranded if this guy is telling the truth.

I still say Internet Sharing is NOT possible on branded phones unless dev unlocked and custom rom'd.
    If you want to believe it fine but I have been living it for 3 years now until I gave up.
    Last edited by luv2skipow; 11-20-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    11-20-2012 04:54 PM
    How is that proof?????? If it was XDA I might actually believe it - not hofo.

One guy says he can do it with no evidence and that is proof.

Also, there was an initial batch of Rogers phones that came out prior to oficial launch that were unlocked out of the box - possibly debranded if this guy is telling the truth.

I still say Internet Sharing is NOT possible on branded phones unless dev unlocked and custom rom'd.
    If you want to believe it fine but I have been living it for 3 years now until I gave up.

The original Rogers phones were unlocked but still branded.

You can believe whatever you want, but I pointed you to a guy who claims to have it working. Maybe worthwhile posting up on HoFo and asking him questions. Or maybe get him to post on XDA Dev to add some credibility to that post.

BTW, I'm not sure what you've been living with for three years but this phone has been around for less than a month!
    11-20-2012 05:08 PM

BTW, I'm not sure what you've been living with for three years but this phone has been around for less than a month!
    OMG....living with branded WP's unlocked and not having wireless tethering. I give up....moving on.
    11-20-2012 07:30 PM
    OMG....living with branded WP's unlocked and not having wireless tethering. I give up....moving on.

Before you move on, here's some more information for you. Maybe this might change your mind?
    Could anyone please confirm if Rogers Lumia 920 tethering works with non-rogers SIM? - Page 4
    11-20-2012 07:47 PM

Before you move on, here's some more information for you. Maybe this might change your mind?
    Could anyone please confirm if Rogers Lumia 920 tethering works with non-rogers SIM? - Page 4
    Do you have a Rogers phone that is unlocked? If you had first hand experience like some of us have then you would realize that there are issues getting MMS and internet sharing to work on carriers that is not Rogers. If you don't believe us then you should try yourself if you have the phone.
    11-20-2012 08:01 PM
    I believe luv2skipow is referring to the Lumia 900 and possibly other Lumia devices that are carrier locked and all have the same issues with tethering and MMS.

Which brings me to my reasons for thinking this is a problem created by the Carrier. I came across these:
    Could anyone please confirm if Rogers Lumia 920 tethering works with non-rogers SIM? - Page 2
    Post # 16

and
    [Q] How to Flash a ROM onto the 920? - Page 3 - xda-developers
    Post # 30

Users of the 900 started fixing their tethering problems when TelCel started selling the Lumia 900. By flashing the device with the TelCel ROM they were able to fix all their problems. In fact, they didn't even need to fuss around with APN settings.
    11-20-2012 08:09 PM
    Do you have a Rogers phone that is unlocked? If you had first hand experience like some of us have then you would realize that there are issues getting MMS and internet sharing to work on carriers that is not Rogers. If you don't believe us then you should try yourself if you have the phone.

Yes, I have a Rogers phone working with Fido. I do realize that there are issues, but I wanted to show that someone had got it working to someone who claimed that not one person had got it working. I also assumed (mistakenly, I guess) that linking that thread here might get the folks with problems working with the individual on HoFo.

Last edited by Rajesh Rao; 11-20-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Removed frustrated response bits! :-)
    11-20-2012 08:25 PM

Yes, I have a Rogers phone working with Fido. I do realize that there are issues, but I wanted to show that someone had got it working to someone who claimed that not one person had got it working. I also assumed (mistakenly, I guess) that linking that thread here might get the folks with problems working with the individual on HoFo.

, I didn't mean for it to sound like it was an attack but it's frustrating hearing someone say it's working when it's clearly hit and miss for people. I was never able to get it to work successfully and I was using the same settings that people who said they got it working did.
    Richhy likes this.
    11-20-2012 08:50 PM
    I was at the Rogers store the first day it launched and ran into the MMS and tethering issue with my Telus Sim in the phone. I walked out of the store without the Lumia 920. I decided to order an HTC 8X factory unlocked, put in the exact same settings I had in the Rogers Lumia and voila everything worked great right out of the box. Definitely something in the Rogers ROM causing issues, even though its unlocked.

And finally, I am extremely satisfied with the 8X cause I can just concentrate on using the phone and ALL the features immediately working without hassles! :))
    Last edited by spikenet00; 11-26-2012 at 10:26 PM.
    11-23-2012 11:52 PM
    I urge anyone wanting to do this to be cautious. I also bought a Rogers Lumia 920 and got the unlock code from calling Rogers. I've managed to got 90% of the phone working on the Telus network. However, myself and many other users have been unsuccessful in getting Internet Sharing (Wi-Fi Tethering) and MMS working properly. I've tried many tips and APN settings found on the web to try and remedy this issue but my success has been flaky at best.

I got Internet Sharing working but then lost Data connectivity all together shortly after by using the foreign keybord + tethering APN trick.

I got MMS working to the point where I can send an MMS and receive from other Telus users (sometimes), but not from people of other networks.

And I don't know if it's a cause of being unlocked but my Data is fairly unstable dropping randomly for a short time during the day.

This is just a warning to others who are looking to buy and unlock a Lumia 920. It comes with problems!
    I got mine working, however, on Telus network only getting 4G, got LTE for short time last night.

I have a Galaxy SIII that has perfect LTE signal on Telus. I think the Samsung has better radio's, they seem to pull in a signal better
    12-09-2012 06:01 PM
    So it 100% works on Wind?
    12-10-2012 10:13 PM
    So it 100% works on Wind?
    yes.
    12-10-2012 10:38 PM
    For anyone following this thread previously. There is an app called Access Point from Nokia which configures your internet APN setting to your carrier. With this app I'm finally able to get Internet Sharing to work.
    access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

P.S. MMS still does not work properly.
    12-28-2012 01:08 PM
    12-29-2012 05:18 PM
    For anyone following this thread previously. There is an app called Access Point from Nokia which configures your internet APN setting to your carrier. With this app I'm finally able to get Internet Sharing to work.
    access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

P.S. MMS still does not work properly.
    Rogers L920 on any Canadian network should be fully functional. In what way is MMS not working for you?
    12-29-2012 05:51 PM
    Rogers L920 on any Canadian network should be fully functional. In what way is MMS not working for you?
    I can receive MMS from people who use the same carrier as me (TELUS) but not from people on other carriers.
    12-31-2012 10:49 AM
    I can receive MMS from people who use the same carrier as me (TELUS) but not from people on other carriers.
    have you unlocked and tried the following steps:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...ing-steps.html

Let me know if that works for you, as most have had success using this method as opposed to manually entering apn settings. Give it a try
    12-31-2012 10:24 PM
    I called Nokia customer care for repair/replacement and they told me send it through Rogers. Unfortunately, they need an account in order to send it to Nokia which I don't have. Do I need to send it directly to Nokia?
    01-02-2013 12:41 AM
    Unfortunately not all WP8 Devices got Data Sense.. Lumia 920 is one of the devices that missed out.
    01-17-2013 10:45 AM
    Was given a Rogers Lumia 900 and wanted to use with Bell. Unlocking and connecting experience was the same as I experienced with a Samsung Focus that I used six months ago. Perhaps this might be useful for others; even with the 920 but acknowledged that I don't know.

1. Received free Micro SIM card from Bell store (without providing any information: "It's just plastic to me," said the rep)
    2. Provided IMEI number to cellunlocker.net and $15.00. The unlocking PIN was provided 12 hours later.
    3. Inserted SIM card and entered unlocking code (it worked).
    4. Called Bell customer service and they ported my cell phone number after I provided them with the serial number on the back of the SIM card.
    5. Adjusted APN settings: Settings >> Cellular >> Add APN
    APN: pda.bell.ca
    Proxy port: 80
    Proxy server/URL: web.wireless.bell.ca

With one exception, everything works. I cannot send or receive pictures via SMS (text messaging). In attempting to fix this, I realized that I could not delete/change the SMS center number (messaging >> Settings) that is currently set to +14382762000. Any attempt to save another number or to delete it all together simply doesn't work. In other words, the SMS center number remains unchanged. One other factor that may or may not be connected to this issue. When the phone is restarted, the "Rogers" graphic continues to be displayed. The assumption is that both of these issues are related to some branding that has nothing to do with the network locking. There does not seem to be any viable solutions that have been posted to this or to any other forum. Personally, I have chosen to live without this ability since I can still text photographs through "WhatsApp," or e-mail attached photos.

This experience was identical with unlocking my Samsung Focus and my Nokia 900. I hope this helps.
    02-13-2013 07:55 AM
    I thought i would share some insight into the Telus issue listed on the first page.

It has nothing to do with the Rogers ROM, i can confirm that because I have been experimenting with many different ROMs on my Lumia for the last few days in order to solve my Telus issues.

During that time, i stumbled across the international developer ROM through navifirm. I immediately thought this would be the solution to my problem.

Well after installing this developer ROM I immediately noticed that alot of things that were different about it.

1. 4G and LTE are now called H, H+ and L on this ROM
    2. Tethering works!
    3. Access Point app is built into the phone and sets up your sim card during the initial set up
    and the obvious:
    4. no rogers boot screen!
    5. no carrier branded apps!

I had a friend of mine on rogers try to send me an MMS message.... AND I GOT IT!!! I was freaking out and thought my problem was over... Nope.

The next day I went downtown to class and had all my friends try sending me MMS to see if it worked consistently. I noticed that
    1. MMS took me a good 5 min to recieve after they sent it
    2. I could only recieve MMS from my friends who had Rogers/Bell/Telus phones, friends on Wind or Mobilicity could not send me MMS (it would just never show up on my phone).

Did some further testing and found that the phone worked flawlessly with my friends sim cards, just not Telus sims. So it appears this is purely a Telus issue. I did a little bit more searching through forums and it appears that the lumia 900 had these same issues when unlocked from rogers and used on Telus.

You would think that a big company like telus would do some internal testing on all of the flagship phones because its almost guaranteed that people are going to get them unlocked from rogers and bring them over to Telus. Rogers is one of the few companies i have found that is willing to sell you a phone straight out without a plan.

TLDR

Dont buy a lumia if you plan on using it on telus.
    03-13-2013 09:00 PM

I got MMS working to the point where I can send an MMS and receive from other Telus users (sometimes), but not from people of other networks.

And I don't know if it's a cause of being unlocked but my Data is fairly unstable dropping randomly for a short time during the day.

This is just a warning to others who are looking to buy and unlock a Lumia 920. It comes with problems!
    I think it might just be telus. I had an htc surround on telus and the mms never got working. Even with wp7.5... I switched to Rogers and the l900 and I've never had a problem. Just sayin
    03-13-2013 10:59 PM
    If I bought this phone from Rogers Canada and tried to use it on Fido (basically same company)
    Will I encounter issues?
    Does anyone have an APN for Fido?

If I don't buy from Rogers - where's the best place to buy this phone from to ensure a successful unlock to use on Fido?
    03-13-2013 11:22 PM
52 123