Rogers Lumia 920 buying and unlocking experience

chris2go

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I posted this as a reply to the t-mobile post, but i thought that I should share my experience in a different thread so that any one who wants to buy and unlock this phone from Rogers will get an idea on how to do it. I was able to buy and unlock it at the same day Please read below:

I bought my phone yesterday because I wanted to use it on Wind/Mobilicity or possibly Fido

So, here's what I did:

A. Went to a Roger's Plus corporate booth Downtown Vancouver @ Pacific Centre
B. Bought the phone for $550+HST on a month to month (they tried to sign me up for 3 year contract, no thanks)
C. Here are my steps to get it unlocked:

1. Went to rogers.com and entered my credit card info for automatic payment (so that they can charge me for the unlocking fee, this is so IMPORTANT to avoid payment hassle)
  2. Got a non-rogers micro sim card (I used a Wind Mobile one)
  3. Shut down and and insert the micro sim on the Lumia Phone, restart, phone asks for unlock pin
  4. I called up customer care from a different line and told them that I want to unlock my phone and the sales rep that I dealt with told me to contact them
  5. Transfered to multiple departments, asked for my IMEI number, said they will charge me $50 on my credit card, waited until forwarded to the unlocking team
  6. I talked to a guy named Mohammed, he confirmed my last IMEI 4 digits and gave me the pin
  7. Entered the pin and then bam, Phone said: "Pin accepted", restarted phone and made sure the Wind Mobile 3G works and it did

So, I will cancel my LTE plan this weekend, probably gonna try the Mobilicity network.

But man, LTE/4G makes me feel really good! :p

Yes, the Rogers Lumia 920 phone is pentaband. Loving the phone so far.

Anyone know where the Data Sense is?

mapleleafs89

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
You got it for $450 in Canada? I thought it was $550 on a month to month?

edit: Datasense is exclusive to certain carriers, I think only Verizon has it now?

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Were you an existing Rogers customer? How did you get the $550 month to month price if you already had a plan? I had to pay $599 + tax although I had a plan with them already.

chris2go

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I ported my Wind mobile number to them. I would assume that you can just sign up for a month to month plan with them as long as you pay the phone (they charged my credit card right away), you will be billed monthly. They had to check my credit background for this. I also have a Fido account but they didn't really ask about that.

Richhy

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I urge anyone wanting to do this to be cautious. I also bought a Rogers Lumia 920 and got the unlock code from calling Rogers. I've managed to got 90% of the phone working on the Telus network. However, myself and many other users have been unsuccessful in getting Internet Sharing (Wi-Fi Tethering) and MMS working properly. I've tried many tips and APN settings found on the web to try and remedy this issue but my success has been flaky at best.

I got Internet Sharing working but then lost Data connectivity all together shortly after by using the foreign keybord + tethering APN trick.

I got MMS working to the point where I can send an MMS and receive from other Telus users (sometimes), but not from people of other networks.

And I don't know if it's a cause of being unlocked but my Data is fairly unstable dropping randomly for a short time during the day.

This is just a warning to others who are looking to buy and unlock a Lumia 920. It comes with problems!

Richhy

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Were you an existing Rogers customer? How did you get the $550 month to month price if you already had a plan? I had to pay $599 + tax although I had a plan with them already.

If you can find one at a Windows Store they are $550 outright (but locked to Rogers still)

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I urge anyone wanting to do this to be cautious. I also bought a Rogers Lumia 920 and got the unlock code from calling Rogers. I've managed to got 90% of the phone working on the Telus network. However, myself and many other users have been unsuccessful in getting Internet Sharing (Wi-Fi Tethering) and MMS working properly. I've tried many tips and APN settings found on the web to try and remedy this issue but my success has been flaky at best.

I got Internet Sharing working but then lost Data connectivity all together shortly after by using the foreign keybord + tethering APN trick.

I got MMS working to the point where I can send an MMS and receive from other Telus users (sometimes), but not from people of other networks.

And I don't know if it's a cause of being unlocked but my Data is fairly unstable dropping randomly for a short time during the day.

This is just a warning to others who are looking to buy and unlock a Lumia 920. It comes with problems!

Try downloading this app if you can: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/network-setup/b95840dc-a542-42a6-bee4-7d1a12f62d2c
You may need to download it from your phone. Using this app I was able to get all the features working on my Lumia 710 on Fido. It may work for you as well.

Richhy

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Try downloading this app if you can: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/network-setup/b95840dc-a542-42a6-bee4-7d1a12f62d2c
You may need to download it from your phone. Using this app I was able to get all the features working on my Lumia 710 on Fido. It may work for you as well.

Thanks, but it appears this app doesn't work on new Windows 8 devices.

I get a message saying:
This app uses features your phone doesn't have. Learn More.

If I click Learn More it says:
App not compatible
App only supports the following resolutions: WVGA (480x800)

rajeshr68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but it appears this app doesn't work on new Windows 8 devices.

I get a message saying:
This app uses features your phone doesn't have. Learn More.

If I click Learn More it says:
App not compatible
App only supports the following resolutions: WVGA (480x800)

No need for this app on WP8. You can manually enter the APN and MMS settings for your provider.

Richhy

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

No need for this app on WP8. You can manually enter the APN and MMS settings for your provider.

Then the problem is
1) There are not enough settings available to get Internet Sharing and MMS to work proper on unlocked devices
2) There is something baked into the Rogers ROM preventing it from working properly
3) No one as figured out the correct settings yet

Until Nokia, Microsoft or the Carriers (Rogers, AT&T, etc) comment on these issues we are stuck with non-working features and constant tinkering to try and find a reliable fix.

jfmanzo

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why anybody would pay Rogers $50 for unlock codes when you can get it from cellunlocker or cellfservices et al for much less. Cellunlocker is charging $14.99 for Rogers 920 codes.

Richhy

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why anybody would pay Rogers $50 for unlock codes when you can get it from cellunlocker or cellfservices et al for much less. Cellunlocker is charging $14.99 for Rogers 920 codes.

As of yesterday most people who have tried 3rd party unlockers have been unsuccessful and were told to try again next week.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
My story is that after some probably 20+ years on Telus I finally switched to Rogers and got the phone for $99 on a three year Small Business Plan

-$450 subsidy price on the phone to start that keeps dropping
-contract means nothing these days - just buy out what is left
-3100 minutes +6GB data +canada wide + unlim eve/wkds + more for $85/month

Tired of the unlocking game and not having MMS and internet sharing working. This was the big one.

Not regretting a minute so far.

rajeshr68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Then the problem is
1) There are not enough settings available to get Internet Sharing and MMS to work proper on unlocked devices
2) There is something baked into the Rogers ROM preventing it from working properly
3) No one as figured out the correct settings yet

Until Nokia, Microsoft or the Carriers (Rogers, AT&T, etc) comment on these issues we are stuck with non-working features and constant tinkering to try and find a reliable fix.

There are quite a few folks on XDA-Developers who seem to have gotten it to work. Point #1 is incorrect as you are allowed to specify the APN settings like any other phone (Android). #2 may be correct, but there's no definitive proof for this.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site

There are quite a few folks on XDA-Developers who seem to have gotten it to work. Point #1 is incorrect as you are allowed to specify the APN settings like any other phone (Android). #2 may be correct, but there's no definitive proof for this.

Show me where anyone has gotten Internet Sharing to work on a branded Nokia Lumia phone.
Hasn't happened.

MMS with Nokia Setup yes............ but ICS....NO!

the92playboy

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I did the exact same thing. Was with Bell, and I did a lot of research, but Roger's didn't really have a plan that would work well for me (a high data user) and my wife for a reasonable amount of money. That is, until you look at their small business plans. And you don't really need to be a small business, as they don't ask for any type of proof or anything; just say you are a sole proprietor and the company name is the same as your name.

Also, they will credit up to $300 to your account if you are porting in from another carrier. And they are currently waiving the $35 admin fees.

Richhy

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm one of those folks on the XDA-Developer forum. It works sometimes or temporarily then stops. Very unstable.

#1 - I have an Galaxy S3 and the Lumia 920 and I've compared it to other android devices. Android phones have APN settings that the Lumia doesn't. Such as MMC, MNC and MMS Proxy settings (this last one could be the WAP gateway on WP8).

#2 - You're right there is no proof. So why don't the settings provided by my Network Provider (which work just fine on other devices) work?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers