Rogers Lumia 920 buying and unlocking experience

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
For anyone following this thread previously. There is an app called Access Point from Nokia which configures your internet APN setting to your carrier. With this app I'm finally able to get Internet Sharing to work.
access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

P.S. MMS still does not work properly.
Rogers L920 on any Canadian network should be fully functional. In what way is MMS not working for you?

flame l

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I called Nokia customer care for repair/replacement and they told me send it through Rogers. Unfortunately, they need an account in order to send it to Nokia which I don't have. Do I need to send it directly to Nokia?

cwhiteot

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Was given a Rogers Lumia 900 and wanted to use with Bell. Unlocking and connecting experience was the same as I experienced with a Samsung Focus that I used six months ago. Perhaps this might be useful for others; even with the 920 but acknowledged that I don't know.

1. Received free Micro SIM card from Bell store (without providing any information: "It's just plastic to me," said the rep)
2. Provided IMEI number to cellunlocker.net and $15.00. The unlocking PIN was provided 12 hours later.
3. Inserted SIM card and entered unlocking code (it worked).
4. Called Bell customer service and they ported my cell phone number after I provided them with the serial number on the back of the SIM card.
5. Adjusted APN settings: Settings >> Cellular >> Add APN
APN: pda.bell.ca
Proxy port: 80
Proxy server/URL: web.wireless.bell.ca

With one exception, everything works. I cannot send or receive pictures via SMS (text messaging). In attempting to fix this, I realized that I could not delete/change the SMS center number (messaging >> Settings) that is currently set to +14382762000. Any attempt to save another number or to delete it all together simply doesn't work. In other words, the SMS center number remains unchanged. One other factor that may or may not be connected to this issue. When the phone is restarted, the "Rogers" graphic continues to be displayed. The assumption is that both of these issues are related to some branding that has nothing to do with the network locking. There does not seem to be any viable solutions that have been posted to this or to any other forum. Personally, I have chosen to live without this ability since I can still text photographs through "WhatsApp," or e-mail attached photos.

This experience was identical with unlocking my Samsung Focus and my Nokia 900. I hope this helps.

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I thought i would share some insight into the Telus issue listed on the first page.

It has nothing to do with the Rogers ROM, i can confirm that because I have been experimenting with many different ROMs on my Lumia for the last few days in order to solve my Telus issues.

During that time, i stumbled across the international developer ROM through navifirm. I immediately thought this would be the solution to my problem.

Well after installing this developer ROM I immediately noticed that alot of things that were different about it.

1. 4G and LTE are now called H, H+ and L on this ROM
2. Tethering works!
3. Access Point app is built into the phone and sets up your sim card during the initial set up
and the obvious:
4. no rogers boot screen!
5. no carrier branded apps!

I had a friend of mine on rogers try to send me an MMS message.... AND I GOT IT!!! I was freaking out and thought my problem was over... Nope.

The next day I went downtown to class and had all my friends try sending me MMS to see if it worked consistently. I noticed that
1. MMS took me a good 5 min to recieve after they sent it
2. I could only recieve MMS from my friends who had Rogers/Bell/Telus phones, friends on Wind or Mobilicity could not send me MMS (it would just never show up on my phone).

Did some further testing and found that the phone worked flawlessly with my friends sim cards, just not Telus sims. So it appears this is purely a Telus issue. I did a little bit more searching through forums and it appears that the lumia 900 had these same issues when unlocked from rogers and used on Telus.

You would think that a big company like telus would do some internal testing on all of the flagship phones because its almost guaranteed that people are going to get them unlocked from rogers and bring them over to Telus. Rogers is one of the few companies i have found that is willing to sell you a phone straight out without a plan.

TLDR

Dont buy a lumia if you plan on using it on telus.

Eyes Pried Open

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I got MMS working to the point where I can send an MMS and receive from other Telus users (sometimes), but not from people of other networks.

And I don't know if it's a cause of being unlocked but my Data is fairly unstable dropping randomly for a short time during the day.

This is just a warning to others who are looking to buy and unlock a Lumia 920. It comes with problems!

I think it might just be telus. I had an htc surround on telus and the mms never got working. Even with wp7.5... I switched to Rogers and the l900 and I've never had a problem. Just sayin

Vectraat

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
If I bought this phone from Rogers Canada and tried to use it on Fido (basically same company)
Will I encounter issues?
Does anyone have an APN for Fido?

If I don't buy from Rogers - where's the best place to buy this phone from to ensure a successful unlock to use on Fido?

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If I bought this phone from Rogers Canada and tried to use it on Fido (basically same company)
Will I encounter issues?
Does anyone have an APN for Fido?

If I don't buy from Rogers - where's the best place to buy this phone from to ensure a successful unlock to use on Fido?

No need for APN settings. Access Point takes care of it for you. Mine is working on Bell, yours will work on Fido.
In fact, it may work on Fido without having to be unlocked. Grab a SIM and try - I know it has worked for Rogers' locked phones in the past (but not always)

For Access Point instructions, see:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...rs-l920-internet-tethering-working-steps.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077