Phones 4U install incorrect firmware on Nokia Lumia 920's for EE in UK

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I know its possible to debrand your 920 - you can read all about it over on XDA. This might provide a more permanent solution. I hope your new phone works properly :)

Ericldn610

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Got the same problem with the lumia 920 bought from P4U and a SIM Only plan from EE. It didn't brick my phone though, it just doesn't seem to accept/recognise the SIM. Spoke at length with EE and in the end, they're getting my phone unlocked. We'll see if this resolves the problem. Have to wait up to 48 hours now, so probably not before Monday.

stueyboy

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
OK,
For all you EE customers out there here is what I did and how I got it working on 2G and 3G but not 4G.

1. Get a phone that can take your 3G SIM. I found my Nokia Lumia 800 for carphone warehouse worked.
2. Put your SIM in and let it register 2G.
3. On your 920 with no SIM in, go to Settings -> mobile network and TURN DATA OFF
4. Get your now registered SIM from your old/other phone and put it in your 920 and boot it up.
5. The phone should now boot and not crash.
6. Go to Setings -> Mobile Network and change "Highest Connection Speed" to 3G and then turn the "data connection" back on.
7. Life should be pretty good now (unless you live in a 4G area).

I don't so if someone can take the obvious next step and turn 4G back on and see if it crashes again I would appreciate it.
Thanks,

I bought a 920 unlocked and sim free from P4U yesterday and it was absolutely fine all day yesterday while I was setting it all up and making it all shiny with my apps (used to have a lumia 800). No problems at all but it was using wifi all the time, so today, away I go to the coast for a spot of kitesurfing and it must have rebooted about 20 times. Froze all over the place (IE, lock screen, making a call and more). I have a 3G Orange sim card but I've just tried this suggestioin by using a lumia 620 we have in the house to do the above. If it works, I will report back and will probably agree to have your childern if it works...... exciting isn't it ?

stueyboy

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
OK a quick update on my post above. The trick to get the SIM registered on a different phone seemed to do the trick for me for a couple of hours but then went back to randomly rebooting every time I used the phone for more than a minute. So based on the observation that I didn't get any rebooting when using wifi and also that the phone is stable with the SIM card removed or data switched off, I did some further digging and found the following page on EE's website about manually setting the internet APN.

Nokia Lumia 920 - Manually setting up a data connection

So far this seems to have done the trick as my phone will now syncronise all the accounts, dig out skydrive pictures (something which made it freeze previously) and fingers crossed, for the past 3 hours hasn't rebooted at all, which believe me is a long time given the past two days of annoyance I have had. I of course have the connection set to 3G and not 4G as I have a 3G SIM

I'd urge anyone suffering problems lke mine who are on EE, Orange or T-mobile to give this a go as you have little to lose.

SRVO

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Same problem. I got a Lumia 920 from Phones4u on 10th November and it's always said SIM Invalid and won't allow calls or texts. EE gave me a new sim and that had the same issue. Phones4u gave me a new Lumia but still got the same issue. EE were blaming P4u and P4u were blaming EE so I'm getting nowhere. The last thing P4u told me is that they'll give me another phone but not a lumia because il have the same issue - so I'm not allowed a lumia apparently. EE told me there's an issue with Windows Phone 8 not recognising EE sims and they are waiting for a firmware update but it could be weeks. I'm just going to cancel my contract and get the phone on a different network. I tested my girlfriend's Orange sim in the lumia and that worked, so I may just sign up to Orange instead. No 4G though :(

Amarjit Lord Vadha

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I bought a white Nokia 920 from Very catalogue which I understood will only take an EE sim card and no other network sim. I am already a customer of EE and I replaced my stolen white Nokia 920 which worked fine. However this one says SIM INVALID and and after many conversations with EE they have told me that initially they were supplied with faulty Nokia white 920's and that they had software problems that blew the sims. I am on my second sim now which says the same thing. They turned round and said to me that I need to purchase another sim card and activate it in another handset then put it back into my phone. I contacted Very who said that I need to contact Nokia for a reference number before they will take the phone back. I have never been able to connect or use the phone, its been 3 weeks now without a phone service and am very di:angry:sapointed. I am thinking to get a refund now and get the Samsung S4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos