What's the deal with the "FatBoy"? Does anybody want this thing?

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I just can't understand why this would appeal to literally anyone.

A pillow for your phone? It has absolutely no utility above the normal charger, and takes up more space than the regular charging pad. Why is Nokia sending this thing to reviewers like Gizmondo, who then complain that it's odd?

Does someone need to explain to Nokia that phones do not feel "comfort"?

[confused]

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a nicer looking charger to have around visibly than the regular plastic charging plates. Also personally I like the fact that the charger is bigger than the phone, which isnt the case with the regular one.

I know it's the exact same charger inside, but I'm talking total physical dimensions.

Caikems

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think it's just a preference thing. I'm so careful when I slowly place my phone down on the hard-plate wireless charger.

With the pillow, I feel like I would carelessly toss it on it's cushion with no fear of scratching it haha

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought one. It's perfect for the nightstand. It keeps the phone nice and secure instead of having it precariously balanced on the little charging platform by itself.

I'll just use a naked charging platform on my desk at work though.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Idk, but my wife wants one. Haven't been able to find one though. When I checked last, they were on backorder (online) and not available at any stored near me.

jholso

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
For me I want one Fat Boy, because I will run the cord up through my recliner and set the pillow on the arm of the chair. In my head, the pillow will be more secure to put my phone on in a recliner arm type setting than the plastic charging pad.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather see it being available than not. Lumia has already been positioned as a device of more choice. More colors, more accessories. So why not the fatboy? I actually didn't like the fatboy at first, but now I want it as my main wireless charger and put it on a night stand.

It's all about choice. Or would you rather be offered a phone in two colors and a single type of charger?

And it's not about phone comfort. It's about comfort for yourself, knowing that nothing will knock the phone off and that you won't misplace it when you wake up at 4am and decide to do some browsing.

anon(2255)

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
For me, the phone balancing on the charging plate is awkward, mainly because my cat will bat at it overnight, and knock it off the charger. Having it resting on the pillow makes for a more secure connection for me.

Honestly though, why didn't Nokia include magnets in the phone/charger like Palm did for the touchstone? Would have been so much better.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... ok. Seems like it has quite a few fans! I'm certainly not complaining it's available, I'm genuinely curious as to why anyone would want one... and also IF anyone would want one.

So it seems to come down to:

(1) It may be "cuter" to some (or at least "better looking" to some)
(2) Some think the regular charger plate may damage their phone if they are not careful putting it down on it
(3) Some think the phone is more secure laying on the larger surface

I don't personally agree with any of these reasons, but at least now I know! Seems Nokia is smart to offer it after all.

I should also note I have seen neither of these in person... maybe it will make more sense when I do. I have the vertical charge stand which is very nice (though seems overpriced as I have no desire to use the NFC), and I have the free regular charger coming from AT&T at some point.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

The marketing of the carriers has definitely worked on you. You are a bit foolish if you think the price of the phone is below 107 bucks. The price of the phone is just transferred into your carrier's contract/plan.

Here in Finland (and I guess most countries in Europe) most phones sold are sold at full price (which for the Lumia 920 is about 600€), but we don't really have as much air in the contracts than fe. US contracts. We pay fairly much less in a 2 year cycle than for example US customers. I pay a max 15€/month for a contract that most US customers pay closer to a 100 dollars for.

But yeah, the price of the wireless charging pads is too high. The only reason I think they will be any kind of a success is that a lot of them are given free or with good discounts. I get my fatboy at a discounted price for around 30€ (down from 80€) for buying my Lumia 920 from a certain place. It's still a tad much for a charger, but for a wireless charger I can still pay that 30€.

So yeah, let's not fool ourselves that the phones actually cost 100 bucks :p

rekkid

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
In case some of you dont know... Fatboy is a company that makes/designs household products using mostly that ripcord, parachute pant (if anyone is old enough), tough fabric.

So it's really just a cross-promotional team up between companies... Like Nike designing exercise accessories for iPhones or the Kinect.

We have a dog bed that looks nice... but the dogs dont like it... not sure if its the outer material or the bean-bag stuffing inside. You can, however, put your minds at ease if you were worried if your dog might chew it up... they'll stay away :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills