Have you tried turning off GPS for battery life?

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
One of the latest reviews (from Ubergizmo) says that not turning off GPS completely kills the 920s battery life very quickly. On the other hand when they had GPS turned off they got an astounding 49 hours and still had 37% left. Has anyone tried this and how has your device responded?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JGtz

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why that would help, I only see the GPS icon turn on when I accidentally press the search button and Bing pops up ( I have location access on for it). My battery has been all over the place, often good, sometimes terrible.

The 19th after an overnight charge and disconnect at 6am I was down to 10% at 3pm. With a total 75 min of random browsing, gaming, calls, texts, tweets ( I kept track of what I used).

I made one change: Disable gmail sync. My hotmail, outlook and Work Outlook accounts were left unchaged at 1hr sync intervals.

Today, after charging it fully last night (the 19th) I disconnected it at 11pm (of the 19th), woke up at 6am, battery still 100% (no drain during the 7hrs of standby), Right now it's sitting at 13% after 18hrs of being disconnected. I used it heavily (by my standards), this meaning 335 total minutes of calls, tweets, sms, browsing , picture taking, gaming (I played geoDefense swarm 75 minutes and it drained 20% battery).

I was originally thinking about returning it but today's performance has changed my mind. I do have dust inside the front camera so that might be a cause for exchange... Decision Decisions, only 3 days left to exchange to ATT.

Fred Garvin MP

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the need for it with the experience I have had so far. I did, however, turn off NFC - which made a dramatic change in the battery life. With my normal daily use, I get easily the same or better battery life than my old 4S did, also same or better than my other nexus too. I have had it unplugged for well over 24 hours now and am still at 60%

Turning it off will definitely save you some battery, for sure. But, to me, the loss of the features it provides don't make it worth having to turn on and off throughout my daily use. If I had to make it stretch for some reason, though, I would definitely shut it down temporarily as well.

*Edit* After running around using tethering for an hour or so, and also some light calling and medium surfing / emailing and texting, I am still showing 38% (10 hours est. remain) and time since last charge was 1 day 4 hours.

Last edited:

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
i dont feel like i should turn off location, it should work on apps or features that i choose to when i use them. If i am not using bing search, location shouldn't be on until i actually use it. Turning off all location would essentially mean im not taking advantage of features on the phone. I should be able to leave locations on and turn off for specific apps without worrying about signifiant battery drain considering i've never had a battery drain issue before on other phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs