What's YOUR average battery life?

Scrach

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't mean to bring a topic back from the dead but i just drained my battery to 0% and i am charging it, once it is done i will see how well it performs :D here are what i use:
Facebook chat
Whatsapp
hotmail
youtube
don't really game meh
texting frequently
xbox smartglass on odd occasions

All this without battery savers will run for a very short amount of time but with battery saver it adds around an hour (according to the battery saver menu)
Anyway, i don't know but i should guess draining the battery before putting it on charge will help as it will be a 'fresh' battery life.

Venugopal Jakhotiya

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi all
I just installed the IM+ app a couple of days ago and the battery life became really worse. Did not realise it was the app that was creating the problem. I thought it was the portico update as I had just updated 3-4 days back. Gonna uninstall the app and see if it helps.
Will update this post with more.

sleewok

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had this phone since release. I have to say that the battery life has stabilized and it is AWESOME. I easily get 1 - 2 days out of the phone with moderate usage.

Some statistics I have been tracking (gathered since release)

• My current average time between charges is is about 22 hours.
  • My average hourly burn rate is -0.5 to 1.6%/hour.
  • Average run-time from full charge - 27 hours

Cheers!

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I got 24 hours with a lot of use. My battery is great :) Compared to my Desire HD the HD is bad, really bad.

Last edited:

JeepGuy25

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
My 920 REALLY irritates me.

I pull it off charge at 6am after being plugged in all night. I always have BT, GPS (location ?), WiFi, and Cellular turned ON. NFC, sensitive touch, and anything else is turned off. All background tasks disabled.

Ill go a few days and have stellar battery performance. Like less than 3% an hour drop. Then...the next day, without changing ANY settings or downloading ANY apps, it will drop 10% an hour or more. Today...it was unplugged at 6, and by 9 had dropped to 70%. And I didnt touch it. And the back was warm. So I turned off as many services as I could when the battery reached 39%. I restarted the phone...now Im at 31%.

For the record, my battery percentage NEVER goes UP when I restart. Its always less.

I just dont understand this. I hate how these phones handle GPS. Even with nothing runnin in the background and most location services off, i still see the little dot light up frequently. I shouldnt have to turn off things like data or bluetooth just to get a good days life out of the phone. Thats ridiculous.

I would LOVE to see functionality like Android has where I can see what is using battery. They have a list of things, along with how much of the drain is attributed to each function. Screen, standby, GPS, etc etc. My fear is that its a known issue...and its going to take forever to sort it out, if it ever does. The apps for WP are always unpolished it seems. Some people have zero issues...like the guy above that has 2x more stuff turned on and uses his phone WAY more than I do for streaming music and all...and he is getting awesome battery.

Grr.... Tonight Im going to try the discharger app and let the phone drain. Put it on charge and turn all the services I want to leave on, on. And first thing in the morning restart the phone. And see if its better than today.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd just like Microsoft or Nokia to acknowledge that they're aware of the problem and that it will be addressed in a future firmware update. Give us some hope...

Of course the only way they'd not be aware is if they're not using the devices.

rareohs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
No hard numbers, but man, the battery issue is killing me. I had a bunch of success initially uninstalling certain apps (like facebook) but then still had problems. I then conditioned the battery (full drain and recharge 3-4x) and again, initially it seemed fixed. But it's not.

Woke up this am, took off charger at 6:30am at 100%. Read emails/surfed for 5 minuted. Idle while I got ready for work. Read on Kindle app for 20 minutes (kindle set to dark screen with white letters) and by 8:00 am already had dropped to 80%.

It's not even 10am, and with minimal use - a couple of texts, maybe < 5 min internet, it's now at 63%.

bluetooth, NFC, wireless, etc OFF. the only apps allowed for background are battery level, cnn, weatherflow and wpcentral. that's it.

And count me as one of the folks who think that it's not an acceptable solution to basically cripple your phone by turning everything off or uninstalling your favorite apps in order to get a day's use out of the thing. that's ridiculous. I didn't get a flagship phone to not use it's features. I mean really? Turning off location?? Uninstalling nokia drive?! WTF.

sigh. So frustrated. if i thought there was a chance in **** best buy would let me swap this out for an iphone 5 i'd have to consider it. which is a huge bummer, because i LOVE the phone - the screen, the OS, so many things are so fanstastic... but so many achilles heels, as well.

machater82

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I have been getting decent battery life up until today actually. I have been using it like I normally do at work and I'm already down to 20%. Usually I get out of work at 5pm and have 60-60% battery left. Today for some reason something is draining my battery hard. I have all that stuff off and no background tasks. The funny thing is that the same thing happened to my dad today with his 920. He only has 16% left and been using it like he normally does.

Anyone else seeing odd draining today?

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
39 hours since my last charge and the battery is at 52%.

Usage consists of some text messaging, reading emails, browsing apps, a couple of short calls, 1-2 hours of gaming and some other miscellaneous stuff. I wouldn't go as far as to claim moderate use, but pretty normal for a work day.

There is definitely considerable drain when gaming, but that's pretty much a universal problem amongst all devices. The odd thing is that some graphically intensive games are less of a hog than others. Crimson Dragon and Dredd vs Zombies are both pretty good. Doom & Destiny is bad; Where's My Water is terrible.

I'd say battery life has been consistently good except for a few hiccups. I suspect Doom & Destiny was the culprit behind excessive battery drain, probably due to all the crashing. That required a restart to address the problem. Although, I haven't tried the game again to confirm if it was the cause.

The second instance was when I set down the phone after getting home from work. I returned a few hours later to find it totally dead. So dead it wouldn't even start up when I first plugged it in. The problem is that I don't know where the battery was when I put it down. However, if it had been low I would have noted it, so I want to say it was at about half charge.

Heavier usage has generally netted me a day's charge. I might be at 20% when I plug it in. I'd leave it for the next morning, but I don't have the confidence it will last through the night. Beyond that, it's pretty consistent with the experience friends have had with their phones; this includes Android, iPhone and Blackberry.

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm beginning to think it might not be just individual incidents, but rather caused by certain carriers or networks.

For example, like one person mentioned above, both his and his dad's 920's power is draining fast today, so is mine. On other days, I've noticed whenever I have a bad battery day, I would notice similar complaints online. I use AT&T network in NYC, maybe this has something to do with it?

I've also noticed that my phone would randomly send large chunks of data to AT&T when I'm not using the phone. By random, I mean when I log into my ATT account to check data usage, I can trace just about every single one of them if I keep my usage simple, but a few of the data transfer amount would be larger than 20MB, which makes no sense when all I did was sending texts. And those seem to be all labeled as sent out from my phone, rather than receiving. I would think if my phone is randomly sending out data throughout the day, that would be wasting some battery (not to mention bandwidth).

These are just some thoughts. Normally my phone goes about 11~12 hrs with moderate usage (gaming, browsing, call, text).

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I tend to agree with Xellsama....i think networks does cause a lot of battery drain, sometimes even though the phone shows full bar for connection. I noticed this especially when I am at work. The full bars doesn't mean much because the phone can still be searching for the best network to connect to and switch constantly from full bar ones to 1-2 bar ones, resulting in the phone getting warm.

sleewok

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had this phone since release. I have to say that the battery life has stabilized and it is AWESOME. I easily get 1 - 2 days out of the phone with moderate usage.

Some statistics I have been tracking (gathered since release)

• My current average time between charges is is about 22 hours.
  • My average hourly burn rate is -0.5 to 1.6%/hour.
  • Average run-time from full charge - 27 hours

Cheers!

cruzcat

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I usually get around 1.5 days off a full charge with normal usage.
Medium brightness
WIFI always ON.
4G/LTE connection at home and @ work.
1 outlook account (Push notifications)
1 GMAIL (set as Exchange, set to receive mail as it arrives)
1 Yahoo (Set to check every hour)
Browse Web for an hour or so during the day. Read Engadget and Verge for 20 mins in morning. Whatsapp and metrotalk running. Accuweather and XE currency live tiles running. No FB account set up.
Talk for about 45 mins - 1 hr per day.
NFC off.
Bluetooth Off.
Location mostly off.
Every now and then after I install some new app like Poynt etc I notice the battery drains quicker and reverts back to normal after I have uninstalled the app. Skype used to be a major battery hog and I havent had any problems since I uninstalled it .
wp_ss_20130117_0001.png

JGtz

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I've had the "battery status" app installed for a few weeks now and it
keeps updated stats of the battery so I think that's better than the
constantly changing battery info under settings

I use the same battery saving tips everyone else uses. Always in at least 2 bars LTE At&t coverage. I did notice in my trip to California that under constant regular 4G coverage my battery was amazing.

dat battery.png.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I usually charge my phone every other night, so around 40 hours between charges (sometimes I do it every night if I use my phone loads) and I usually have around 20-30% left when charging (sometimes 40-45% if I haven't been using it much). I usually stream music a few hours, a few hours of phone calls, a few (around 20 over 2 days is normal) texts, a few emails, snap a few photos, do some banking and checking facebook/ineternet now and then between my charges.

No Wifi, LTE always on, No battery saver, Location/NFC/Bluetooth is off. Have had it at auto brightness but super sensitive touch off.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have been getting decent battery life up until today actually. I have been using it like I normally do at work and I'm already down to 20%. Usually I get out of work at 5pm and have 60-60% battery left. Today for some reason something is draining my battery hard. I have all that stuff off and no background tasks. The funny thing is that the same thing happened to my dad today with his 920. He only has 16% left and been using it like he normally does.

Anyone else seeing odd draining today?

I had unusual drain the day before that, but I restarted my phone before I charged it on my charging pad when I went to bed. Yesterday it was top notch again! I guess it was an application or something who was draining the battery, and the restart did the trick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss