WIndows 8 and pop3 don't like each other!!!

tlegend2012

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting an error that says pop3 server doesn't support message retrieval, I've reset my phone 3 times now... I've never had this problem with other phones except windows phones!!! Help please....

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What e-mail provider are you using? If you visit the provider's website do you see any settings for the incoming/outgoing server settings? Perhaps, they do not use the default ports. Do they use SSL?

tlegend2012

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had this email for 5 yrs now...(I have the right email settings, I get emails, but I can't download anything) I tried to setup the email on Lumia 900, and it works! but my 920 started to show this error since yesterday... Provider is Networksolutions, they said everything is fine on their end, No SSL ,and ATT said everything is fine too..

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have no problems receiving from a pop3 account. The only problem I've been having is that the phone at the top says that the account was last updated on Sunday and today is Wednesday. I have been receiving my emails since Sunday though.

tlegend2012

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I get emails too, but I can't Download all content.. I tried WIFI and no difference... same issue.. it keeps on saying SYNCING but there's nothing to SYNC

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I get emails too, but I can't Download all content.. I tried WIFI and no difference... same issue.. it keeps on saying SYNCING but there's nothing to SYNC
Is it images in the e-mails that you are unable to download, or is it particular types of attachments?

For example, if someone sends you a .pub attachment, you will not be able to download and view it, since there is no Publisher on your Windows Phone.

tlegend2012

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
well, the problem is I can't download a long email that doesn't include attachments... for some reason I have to press Download message to read an email..

tlegend2012

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Is it images in the e-mails that you are unable to download, or is it particular types of attachments?

For example, if someone sends you a .pub attachment, you will not be able to download and view it, since there is no Publisher on your Windows Phone.

Microsoft rep was able to fix it... He told me that I have to put the port number in this format xyz@yourdomain.com;110 then he told me to go in and remove the number... strange but it worked!!! wow!

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Come to think of it, I have been having problems trying to only send emails. I had to use my own smtp server that I'm running in my office since Time Warner will not allow off-network smtp. I know my smtp server works fine and the settings and everything are correct but it will not send. I get error code 80048802.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Come to think of it, I have been having problems trying to only send emails. I had to use my own smtp server that I'm running in my office since Time Warner will not allow off-network smtp. I know my smtp server works fine and the settings and everything are correct but it will not send. I get error code 80048802.
Have you tried changing the port from 25 to 2525 or 587?

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried changing the port from 25 to 2525 or 587?

I just tried adding :25 and :587 and no go... it gave me another error code. I know it's not 587 since I don't have the port open on my router anyway. It's not a big deal to me since I dont send a lot email from that address anyway. I can wait for a fix :)

Spence2020

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been running into this since purchasing my phone on Saturday and having it work perfectly on Saturday and Sunday. The minute I got into work the POP3 email fails! I thought something was wrong with the phone, but this error only occurs when when I attempt to access my POP3 email through my company network which goes through a fairly significant firewall. The error is as follows:

"We're having a problem syncing information. This POP3 server does not support partial message retrieval.
Error Code: 80048811"

OK, but when I turn off the company network on my phone and then turn on the Cellular connection, the email works perfectly.

It's my belief that this error has something to do with the way the phone retrieves email messages when going through a firewall (in this case a Fortinet 100D).

All other functions on the phone work fine over the company network and through the firewall EXCEPT the POP3 email retrieval.

Spence2020

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been running into this since purchasing my phone on Saturday and having it work perfectly on Saturday and Sunday. The minute I got into work the POP3 email fails! I thought something was wrong with the phone, but this error only occurs when when I attempt to access my POP3 email through my company network which goes through a fairly significant firewall. The error is as follows:

"We're having a problem syncing information. This POP3 server does not support partial message retrieval.
Error Code: 80048811"

OK, but when I turn off the company network on my phone and then turn on the Cellular connection, the email works perfectly. Nothing has changed, even the error is the same with 80048811. (This POP3 server does not support partial message retrieval.) Although everything works fine on the Cellular connection. And on simple WiFi connections in other places that are not in a Domain environment.

It's my belief that this error has something to do with the way the phone retrieves email messages when going through a firewall (in this case a Fortinet 100D).

All other functions on the phone work fine over the company network and through the firewall EXCEPT the POP3 email retrieval.

Sadly, with the update on March 1, 2013, the Nokie 822 (Verizon) upgraded to version 8.0.10211.204 (SW 1532.5951.1250.1012), and has done absolutely nothing to fix the POP3 Windows Phone 8 issues in a Corporate (Domain) environment. You still have to switch to the Cellular connection and switch off the WiFi on the phone to access POP3 email.

It's amazing how little Nokia, Microsoft & Verizon are able to respond to customer problems. Especially very significant problems like this POP3 issue.

Spence2020

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Sadly, this is a problem that is not the phone but the firewall you have to get through to get your messages.

I have a Nokia 822, Windows Phone 8.

This phone can get my POP3 Email using the Cellular Connection and every WiFi Network I've used EXCEPT my work firewall. The problem is that the default settings on these firewalls is to block partial message retrieval in SMTP and POP3 emails in order to stop the message from avoiding Antivirus checks at the Firewall.

The phone itself works perfectly well. But if you can't get the firewall your WiFi network is behind to allow you to receive these partial messages then you will not be able to get them. You need to ask your network administrator of the location where you are not able to receive your email. Or switch off your WiFi and use only the Cellular connection to retrieve your email messages.

The alternative, if it's available to you, is to switch your POP3 to an IMAP email system. But I understand that can be a first class pain for many of us. (Myself included)

Spence2020

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Sadly, the newest update to Windows Phone 8 (Nokia 822) that was pushed out today (May 8, 2013) still fails to resolve the POP3 issue when the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi that is behind a firewall that includes Anti-Virus (default settings), this configuration does not allow partial message retrieval because the firewall thinks that it's a ploy to get past the Anti-Virus part of the firewall. Sadly, this is a unique problem for Windows Phone (7 to 8). Apple iPhone and Android phones do not have this problem in the same networks.

The only way for a Windows Phone to get POP3 emails is to turn off the Wi-Fi and turn on the Cellular only to retrieve POP3 emails.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
i had this problem using Rogers Yahoo...for some reason i noticed Windows, and even Android smartphones have issues syncing with Yahoo's POP servers sometimes. I manually configured the POP3/SMTP with company specific and the issue no longer happens.

Debbiechar

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I was having the same problem after the recent updates. Although, my pop3 email would not save my username/password. After countless attempts to uninstall and reinstall my email account and surfing the internet for solutions, it was a simple fix which no one bothered to tell us. Nokia, would it have killed you to tell us that our pop3 email accounts (depending on service providers) required updated, increased security; therefore, we had to change our webmail password??? I'm in Canada and went to the Shaw homepage and there were instructions there about increased security. My pop3 account works fine now.

Spence2020

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Today I finally figured out the specific problem with this. First, Windows Phone 8 is fine with POP3. The REAL problem is in how the WP8 (including 7.5) retrieve POP3 email. The only time WP8 fails to work with POP3 is when you are behind a firewall that includes a Firewall Based Antivirus. If the AV is turned on in the Firewall, then part of that AV protection is to disallow Partial Message Retrieval. For some reason, WP8 is unable to resolve this issue in the same way that every other email program or device is able to handle it. iOS, Android and full Windows programs including Windows 8 have no difficulty with this.

When I disabled the AV on the work firewall as an experiment, Windows Phone 8 (Nokia 822) was able to process email normally. When the AV was turned back on in the Firewall the POP3 email request failed with an error complaining about Partial Message Retrieval.

So if Microsoft will finally get with the program this problem will disappear. I wonder how long that will take for the arrogant knuckleheads... If it means buying a license, then fine, buy the damn license.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo