Lumia 920's screen is easy to scratch?

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
My screen has a deep scratch in it and I don't know where I could have scratched it.....

I did not drop it, nor did I put it with my keys in my pocket...

anyone had that problem?

I thought Gorilla Glass 2 was tough... I was wrong apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 920's screen i easy to scratch?

I have a feeling your "deep scratch" is actually a shallow scratch, in the oleophobic chemical layer that prevents smudging/oil build up. In which case, the gorilla glass itself is unaffected.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

I have a feeling your "deep scratch" is actually a shallow scratch, in the oleophobic chemical layer that prevents smudging/oil build up. In which case, the gorilla glass itself is unaffected.
I can feel the scratch under my finger which is probably the deepest scratch I had on a device... and I had a lot of phones with plastic screens... It kind of piss me off in a way

o1legacygt

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

So far no case and had the phone for a few weeks. In my jean pocket, coat pocket, car cup holder and no scratches here. :)

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

Can you get a pic of your scratch? It should be fairly visible based on how deep you describe it as. It's not that I don't believe you, but it would be interesting to see documented deep scratches on the glass itself. If you can feel the scratch, I'd say it's a safe bet that this is the glass that's scratched, just as you claim.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Of course. like everyone else here, I watched that video...
but I took my phone out of my jeans' pocket and it was scratched... so i'm quite pissed off... it's not like I drop it or something....

Can you post a picture of it?

You aren't the first one to report this with the new Gorilla Glass.

I don't get it. My wife had a Nokia N8 and now a Nokia 808 with Gorilla Glass. She jams her phone into a small purse, then tosses her keys, mirror, tweezers in there. I've seen her keys up against the screen. Her phones have never had a scratch or ding on the screen.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

2012-11-21T17-56-18_0.jpg Alright here it is sorry for the quality.. but I sadly couldn't use the Lumia 920's heavenly good camera so I was stuck with my iPod as a camera... but as you can see, it's really obvious...

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

What people are not understanding in this thread... is that I am not complaining about my 920....... it love that phone... but I was expecting the gorilla glass to last longer than a week and half before it scratches like that... What's even more annoying is that I cannot remember when this could have happen... If only I dropped it or tried to scratch it and succeed (that would be really dumb, but I know some people who could be dumb enough to try)... I really just used it normally and at the end of the day I saw the scratch...

Last edited:

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

It's not clear with the quality of the picture but it's not a straight scratch it's as if someone took a sharp thing and scratched it while having shaky hands... not the kind of scratch I would have expected

CheekyTaurus

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site

I too got a small nick/scratch on mine as well after 2 days and have no idea how either. I treated the think like it was delicate as rice paper.

Same exact thing happened to my 900 in the *exact* same spot on the screen.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

Yeah it's annoying not to know how this could have happened... I have a friend who carries his GS3 in his tool bad when he's working and everything is scratched except the god damn screen...

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I hate to say this, but there is a big ugly imperfection in the middle of my screen. I don't don't know how it got there but it is quite ugly and if i can't get rid of it I may return my 920.

Oops, never mind, that was my reflection. My screen is a big field of shiny happiness.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

It also make a sound when I pass my finger nail on it, so it's quite deep... Anyone ever had a screen replacement or you gotta buy a new phone? cuz really I can see the scratch when the device is on which is annoying

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

That's bad. You're certain that there's not a clear piece of thin plastic on top of the screen that you can pull off?

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

I hate to say this, but there is a big ugly imperfection in the middle of my screen. I don't don't know how it got there but it is quite ugly and if i can't get rid of it I may return my 920.

Oops, never mind, that was my reflection. My screen is a big field of shiny happiness.

I am truly sorry about your self-esteem. But knowing that your Lumia 920 is just fine makes me feel better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs