Lumia 920's screen is easy to scratch?

rnaveen1989

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 920's screen i easy to scratch?

in knife test we have seen the back surface of the body doesn't get any scratches.. Is this only for the poly carbounate body or also for the matte finished black.. Does the black matte one survives back scratches

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

in knife test we have seen the back surface of the body doesn't get any scratches.. Is this only for the poly carbounate body or also for the matte finished black.. Does the black matte one survives back scratches

It does get some damage when you use a knife on the back... there is a video that shows it... maybe it's only because of the image quality that you didn't see the scrashes

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up that same Zagg kit at my local AT&T store. It went on great except for one problem - I got distracted when applying the front shield and I applied it upside down (Doh!!!) so it's covering the earpiece. I couldn't help but laugh when I noticed. I'll leave it that way until I get a replacement front shield which I'll order tomorrow. The back side went on perfect and to my surprise is matte. My L920 is white gloss and the fingerprints, though not extremely noticeable, were aplenty. It looks great in matte white.
give it a few days , I had one on mine too and it makes your beautiful white phone look dingy and discolored :(

Chaudhry73

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Scratch on Lumia 920 Screen

It was very bad to see a scratch newly purchased Lumia 920. Despite of careful use i was surprised to see scratch on screen. The videos on Youtube regarding Hammer and Knife test looks fake and scrap. This Gorrilla -2 glass needs more improvement rather than advertisements and posting fake videos. Nokia should re-think on the technology adopted for this Flagship mobile for both Nokia and Windows. This going to earn bad publicity for Nokia.
I visited the Nokia Care they asked for repair charges. :eck:

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Scratch on Lumia 920 Screen

It was very bad to see a scratch newly purchased Lumia 920. Despite of careful use i was surprised to see scratch on screen.

LOL. Gorilla glass is what it is - very good for non-point impact, but after all still glass. I've had mine without screen protector for 45 days. No scratches. I've had gorilla class based phones for 5 years no screen protectors, no scratches. My kid managed a small scratch on her iPhone4s. I guess that will earn Apple bad publicity too :)

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

I also find out that I have 4 minor scratches on my phone after carefully used for a week, should have used screen protector. Scratch free gorilla glass is BS

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Scratch on Lumia 920 Screen

It was very bad to see a scratch newly purchased Lumia 920. Despite of careful use i was surprised to see scratch on screen. The videos on Youtube regarding Hammer and Knife test looks fake and scrap. This Gorrilla -2 glass needs more improvement rather than advertisements and posting fake videos. Nokia should re-think on the technology adopted for this Flagship mobile for both Nokia and Windows. This going to earn bad publicity for Nokia.
I visited the Nokia Care they asked for repair charges. :eck:

Im pretty sure that the knife tests are not fake, metal won't scratch your screen from just sliding over it, they are not hard/sharp enough. Having a grain of sand or something on your screen while you wipe it off on the other hand can scratch it badly, no matter what screen you have. Im just happy with any scratch resistance I can get, would suck if keys/any metal object would scratch it easily too.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

Gorilla Glass is overhyped IMO. I remember first getting my Omnia 7, which just has a "scratch resistant screen", and I was pretty worried about the lack of GG. Hasn't mattered one bit, no visible scratches as of yet. Yours is a pretty bad scratch, kinda crazy it happened out of the blue.

striker1064

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Just out of curiosity, is this an issue with pretty much all gorilla glass phones, or does the Lumia use some other type of GG?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Just out of curiosity, is this an issue with pretty much all gorilla glass phones, or does the Lumia use some other type of GG?

No. My wife had a Nokia N8 and now a Nokia 808. She jams it in her purse, tosses her keys on it and her gorilla glass screens have never been scratched. I am really surprised it doesn't have a scratch.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site

All of these screens scratch. They're just scratch resistant. A fine point and enough pressure will still scratch it. A jeans pocket seems unlikely though - perhaps the rivet at the pocket has a sharp bent edge protruding? I see the scratch is horizontal and that just makes the pocket as the source even more unlikely.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

Most people have pockets filled with sand/dirt/grains which can hurt any glass gorilla or not , If your keys were dirty they'll scratch the screen ...

Zenite

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

I tried to scratch my screen with knife and keys - no success. Phone was scatchless until I dropped it from pocket to bus floor where gravity slided it screen down some 3 meters on sand and mud - finally got many really tiny scratches on screen. I'll keep my phone still naked but the screen doesn't like sand - sand is making scratches like diamonds - don't try at home. With keys and knife you cannot scratch it. Yeah sure the 920 screen is one of the best but not immortal.

dabdoub81

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

I think that someone has done this to you :confused:
Maybe ex-girfriend !!!

The people who is the screen can not be scrached , just give it to me for two mins and i promise you will regret it :evil:

tedacura1

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

I baby my cyan 920 and constantly wipe off the screen but I also notice some surface scratches on the screen... I never put the phone in my pocket I have a poach for it...I cant see the scratches with the screen on (a good thing) but just knowing that they are there bothers me I am constantly trying to rub them out.... Its my OCD and the fact that I dont know how they got there.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

On my first 920 (Got a warranty replacement) after only a few weeks I already had some micro scratches nothing bad but noticeable under direct light with the screen off. This surprised me because I really expected this device to be better in this regard. To be fare I did a bunch of metal drilling the first week I got the 920. I got a piece of metal stuck to the magnet on the inside of the case I was using to carry the device. This scratched the back of the device and might have caused the micro scratches. This is why when I am at work my new 920 is in a Otterbox Defender case. I seldom carry my devices in my pocket at work because I am always getting debris like metal flakes and dirt in my pockets. Something to keep in mind when carrying your device in your pocket. Pockets love to catch flying debris.

K Rad

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Same for me.. today morning noticed a few scratches which are visible on a switched-off screen :( Now replacing it would also a pain for me, coz I got my device from outside India :/

Just remember a fall face down on a flat surface. And I carry it in my pocket with keys at times. I never thought of a screen guard thinking of Corning Gorilla and all, plus a few reports of screen guard actually using up battery coz of the Lumia's sensitive screen.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
RE: Lumia 920's screen i easy to scratch?

I use a dedicated pocket for my Lumia. It is rarely in contact with anything other than my hands and that pocket.

Never use a case, my 800 (black) had gotten a nice shiny patina to it and I expect the 920 to age gracefully as well.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs