Tethering w/ 3GB Datapro plan on ATT & LUMIA 920

ealexand#CB

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Im looking into switching to ATT for Lumia 920 and because Verizon is killing group messaging on Windows phone. I want an individual plan with the 3GB DataPro package.

ATT rep tells me that if i go with 3gb Datapro plan I can't tether/internet share/ I need to use 5gb plan for that. But if i do that it's the same price as a family share plan.

His exact response: "Tethering generally cause heavy data usage and very often can cause overages. AT&T always wants to protect its customers against overages."

HA!

Does anyone know of workaround for this on Windows Phone?

I thought the FCC ruled that if customers are paying for limited data buckets, they can use it however they want to.

Thanks

ealexand#CB

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's what's upsetting. The 5gb datapro package on an individual phone plan allows tethering, but it essentially costs the same as the family plan for one person. I don't need 5gb, I only need 3. Heck, I only want tethering capability as a last resort for when I'm traveling. There is no reason why ATT cant offer tethering on the 3gb plan. I'm still paying for 3gb, isn't it my choice how I use it? They just want to force users into this $20-30 price increase they and Verizon have recently instituted. I thought this was precisely what the FCC said they can't do.

im an so upset with both biz and att right now. My plan is going from $85 to $110 per moth and I'm getting less service.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
That's what's upsetting. The 5gb datapro package on an individual phone plan allows tethering, but it essentially costs the same as the family plan for one person. I don't need 5gb, I only need 3. Heck, I only want tethering capability as a last resort for when I'm traveling. There is no reason why ATT cant offer tethering on the 3gb plan. I'm still paying for 3gb, isn't it my choice how I use it? They just want to force users into this $20-30 price increase they and Verizon have recently instituted. I thought this was precisely what the FCC said they can't do.

im an so upset with both biz and att right now. My plan is going from $85 to $110 per moth and I'm getting less service.

Im with you. There stupid argument that "Tethering generally cause heavy data usage and very often can cause overages. AT&T always wants to protect its customers against overages" is bs, plain and simple. Im not going over my 3 GB usage or even close. I should get the same option to tether with a 3 GB plan as the 5 GB plan. I dont need the 2 GB extra, I dont want it. Forcing us to buy a larger data plan just to use tethering is garbage. I am like you, it's only me. I dont need a family share plan either.

I had my issues with Verizon, but even with them, I could tether. And I honestly only did it on a very low scale when I was out working and needed certain files from the internet/email.

b_wilson

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
As I type, I'm tethering wifi to my laptop via Lumia 920 with a 3GB DataPro plan (not shared). I guess I'm not supposed to....but I am. I'll find out if I'm getting any nasty fees in a month.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
As I type, I'm tethering wifi to my laptop via Lumia 920 with a 3GB DataPro plan (not shared). I guess I'm not supposed to....but I am. I'll find out if I'm getting any nasty fees in a month.

did you flash to Amber with the French Rom? VisceralMonkey here flashed and went to Amber and now has tethering enabled on his 2Gb plan. Thinking of flashing myself tomorrow (I've been using TetherX successfully so far, but built in would be better of course...)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros