Does the 920 have a secondary mic?

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a case on my 920 that is thin and rubbery and covers the top edge of the phone, with just a hole for the headphone jack. After seeing the 8x I was worried that maybe I was covering the secondary microphone, but looking at the top there is no hole there so I thought I was ok. The front of the phone is completely uncovered, and the bottom has cutouts for the micro holes for the speakers (and maybe a mic?).

I just read the Engadget review today , and came across this passage:

"Along the flat top edge, you'll find the pin-accessible micro-SIM slot (no nano-SIM just yet), some tiny perforations that connect to the secondary mic and headphone socket."

Is there a secondary mic along the top that I am blocking? I don't see any "perforations". Am I killing the sound quality by using this case?

Engadget is the same site whose review says the 8x has a gyroscope as well, so maybe there is hope they are just wrong like in that case.

Thanks!

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine has the headphone jack and then right next to it about 5 pin size holes for the secondary mic that is separate from the SIM access. The case i have has an opening for those pin holes

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Son of a gun... I couldn't even see those on my black model. Damn eyes!

I checked the cyan one I've been prepping for my mother to use and sure enough I see them now.

I guess I am going to have to find some way to punch a nice hole in these cases for them... they have no opening.

Thanks guys!

cdodgela

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have had a case for a few days that covers the top mic perforations with no adverse effects with normal phone use that I am aware of. I haven't found any info on what that mic does. I would think that if may work with noise cancellation or its just one of the three mics that the 920 has for normal use. The 920 has three mics even though I don't see the other two. They must be integrated in the speaker perforations at the bottom. Just in case, since I don't want to impede any function of that top mic, I got my little dremel type drill out and carefully drilled a new little hole for it. My case is a flexible plastic kind that was a whole $8 total on Amazon. Somehow, before I got the case, I managed to drop my phone from my bed to the floor and put a little 1/4" scratch in the gorilla glass... I thought it was supposed to b tougher that that....

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
But now the Apple is advertising the secondary mic as a feature on the iPhone 5, they obviously invented this feature and implement it revolutionary new ways.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234