Nokia Maps app start up issue

alex2364

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Dan - can you please tell the decision makers at Nokia to give us back the option of the native Bing Maps app? It's completely ridiculous Nokia removed it from the OS. Bing Maps is much better and never had a problem.

Sanket Alekar

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
@alex2364: Bing Maps has been replaced on Windows Phone 8 by Nokia maps for ALL devices, not just Nokia ones. Even HTC WP8 phones will have Nokia Maps. The decision was not Nokia's, it was Microsoft's. That said this Maps Update thing is such a hassle.

alex2364

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@alex2364: Bing Maps has been replaced on Windows Phone 8 by Nokia maps for ALL devices, not just Nokia ones. Even HTC WP8 phones will have Nokia Maps. The decision was not Nokia's, it was Microsoft's. That said this Maps Update thing is such a hassle.
I don't care what it's powered by. It's like Nokia decided to remove the shortcut to the native map app and re-skin it with their 3rd party solution. Go use a HTC 8X and you will see Bing Maps is still there.

muhan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Please stop spreading false information. Nokia data now powers Windows phone maps. HTC 8X does NOT have Nokia maps.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Please stop spreading false information. Nokia data now powers Windows phone maps. HTC 8X does NOT have Nokia maps.

I definitely remember reading that. The difference was supposed to be not the map itself, but on the Nokias you can download the maps for offline use.

Sanket Alekar

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
That's what I meant to say, that in the end Nokia is what is powering Windows Phone 8 maps. My apologies for making it sound like the app being used was Nokia's maps app.

pouliotf

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Have you think to make this (will be a temporaly fix, but will give time to find the real problem) : Compile the 2.9 version with a new number, like 3.0.1 and release it on windows store. Maybe this update will give to the user a funcional app.

alex2364

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else, but Nokia Maps works for me again. I noticed a lot of my Nokia apps had updates this morning so I tried reinstalling and it works again.

jadan127

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Strange, I havnt seen this update come to my phone here in the US? I do hope so badly that they make that app useful. I think its silly to think they would undo the switch to Nokia Maps form Bing Maps. This is the way its gunna be for all of us on WP. Maybe we need a dedicated thread to solutions to make it useful. For me i stopped using the app because it cant be used past the first search results. There isnt a way for me to clear results like I could in Bing Maps. Without that key bit of functionality it will never be used. Now maybe its me, but can someone explain how to hide the results, cuz al I see is the pull up results screen peeking out from the bottom! Again, I hope this update, whenever it comes out will address these and others issues... (crosses fingers...)

DROBinhood

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
As others noted it appears to be fixed.
Is it still broken for anyone else?

My Maps keeps getting stuck in the middle of download/installation, then giving me an 8103010d error code. I currently have no ability to either :
[1] Complete the update process, as it pauses midway through every time, no matter whether I'm on cellular or wifi
or
[2] Uninstall the app, as the option isn't available when the app is in its current corrupted state; the option does not become available if I cancel the download or restart my phone.

I have no idea how to get working maps back on my phone without wiping it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs