02-02-2013 06:01 PM
57 123
tools
    Horrible colossal epic disaster of biblical proportions!!!

Oh wait, that's right, I just walked into the store on launch day and bought one and walked out.

Never mind.
    Read the first post. UK. Do you know where that is? :-)
    11-22-2012 05:09 PM
    From WMPoweruser:

Clove UK team tweeted the following about the sales of Lumia 920,
    "To say Lumia 920 stock has been selling like hotcakes this afternoon would be just a bit of an understatement #flyingoffthevirtualshelves"
    Amazon:
    This item is currently unavailable

Due to tremendous demand were currently out of stock of this item and are unsure when more will be available.
    11-22-2012 05:16 PM
    I'm in the same boat. I was on orange for two years (now EE) and couldn't leave them soon enough. I could live with the occasionally poor coverage but when they switched to EE it was so much worse.To make matters worse, when I went to renew my contract the only 'offer' I was given on the L920 was 60% more for the same contract (and the phone I had before was the same RRP as the 920) AND I pay 40 for the phone. This wasn't the LTE network, this was 3G only. Needless to say I canceled on the spot.

Worse still, I'd happily settle for a Lumia 820 but there's no gorilla glass which makes it a deal breaker for me. The UK doesn't have any other variations with Gorilla glass like the operator specific models the US has.

I want to switch to Vodaphone but they just don't have a suitable phone. To their credit it's not their fault they don't have the 920. Nokia selected EE on account of their LTE/4G network and they only got that because of the combined size of the Orange/T-Mobile merger. Vodaphone won't have any news until atleast Feburary (on new models) and if the US deals are anything to go by the 920 could be EE exclusive until May. At which point a second round of Nokia phones could be hitting the market.
    11-22-2012 05:22 PM
    I've been saying this but getting eviscerated by the apologists...the launch is a disaster and whoever predicted the demand at Nokia needs to be fired.
    The carriers predict demand in their own markets and then place an order with Nokia.

And that "apologist" word comes out? Really? LoL.

Oh no! The "apologists" are disagreeing with me!! It's a global conspiracy from the 1%!
    11-22-2012 05:22 PM
    The comparison with Apple isn't valid in any way. There's a difference between being sold out, and not having stock or knowing when you'll get any. Nokia simply screwed up because there aren't very many places that recieved any phones at all. Apple sells out because they make as many as they can and they all get sold, Nokia didn't make enough for the first few days sale. Literally every AT&T store within 20 miles of me had no clue when they were getting any color in stock, and none of them had more than about 10 for sale total on launch day. This launch is an utter failure between no stock (not high demand), and limited number of carriers. Not providing product and limiting available carriers will make damn sure both Nokia and Microsoft continue to be the laughing stock of the mobile phone industry. I really want a 920, but I can't get the color I want, and AT&T can't tell me when to come back because they have no clue when they'll get any because they simply don't know. Now that I'm hearing that email tones can't be changed and per contact custom SMS tones can't be set I'm becoming much less enthused about the platform. Not to mention the store model I played with hard locked three times in 20 minutes. That's completely inexcusable.
    11-22-2012 05:36 PM
    Attached Thumbnails fail.png  
    11-22-2012 05:47 PM
    Carriers determine what expected demand will be.

It seems like that point has been really really hard for people to understand.
    Villain likes this.
    11-22-2012 05:51 PM
    Carriers determine what expected demand will be.

It seems like that point has been really really hard for people to understand.
    What part about no AT&T store within 20 miles of me had any idea when they were getting them, what color, and how many do you not understand? That particular carrier didn't have a clue on what they were going to get. I even called AT&T support and they had no clue either. If there's reported shortages on all carriers worldwide, that points to Nokia being the problem, especially since people are reporting quality issues as well.
    11-22-2012 07:24 PM
    Or the carriers substantially underestimated demand worldwide, which is what Nokia based their production on. And even if the production is on the optimistic side, depending on where they're shipping from, that have to be packaged, shipped, and clear customs in most cases. Another thing to remember is the percentage of people having issues may seem high, but you never really hear from people who are happy with the product. Working in customer service, the number of problems are probably in the 2-5% range, which is pretty standard for any new products.
    11-22-2012 07:38 PM
    Read the first post. UK. Do you know where that is? :-)
    Nickkk101 likes this.
    11-22-2012 07:40 PM
    The carriers predict demand in their own markets and then place an order with Nokia.And that "apologist" word comes out? Really? LoL. Oh no! The "apologists" are disagreeing with me!! It's a global conspiracy from the 1%!
    if you make excuses for Nokia (like you are) then yeah if the shoe fits..people here are complaining about sim free phones not being available...thats not a carrier issue. If you have the cash Nokia should be able to supply you a phone.
    Dicky_Snapples likes this.
    11-22-2012 07:40 PM
    I've been saying this but getting eviscerated by the apologists...the launch is a disaster and whoever predicted the demand at Nokia needs to be fired.
    The launch is only a disaster if you didn't get what you wanted when you wanted it.

This was no different than any other product launch for a very popular item. There are shortages.

The reason people freaked out is that the product was announced way in advance of the launch and a specific date wasn't given until the 11th hour. That built up a lot of demand and pissed people off who just wanted to know when it was coming out.

A disaster? Hardly. They are selling a ton of phones. Most of them work just fine and their owner are happy. An internet forum where people come to complain is hardly an accurate gauge of how successful the product and it's launch was.
    Reflexx likes this.
    11-22-2012 07:45 PM
    The launch is only a disaster if you didn't get what you wanted when you wanted it.

This was no different than any other product launch for a very popular item. There are shortages.

The reason people freaked out is that the product was announced way in advance of the launch and a specific date wasn't given until the 11th hour. That built up a lot of demand and pissed people off who just wanted to know when it was coming out.

A disaster? Hardly. They are selling a ton of phones. Most of them work just fine and their owner are happy. An internet forum where people come to complain is hardly an accurate gauge of how successful the product and it's launch was.
    What about all the people who live outside of the USA or the UK? Other countries aren't getting stock because suppliers (aka Nokia) can't keep up with demand. We can't just go and buy an AT&T or EE locked phone and use it, it won't work. We can't switch to AT&T or EE because they don't exist for us. The phones have launched in other countries yet no one can buy them. If they can buy them, they're only available in black.
    11-22-2012 08:07 PM

Actually we have no idea how many phones they sold or made. However if we hear they only sold a few hundred thousand this quarter, investors will punish them into bankruptcy. The better move at least a million 920s or they are done.
    11-22-2012 08:14 PM
    What part about no AT&T store within 20 miles of me had any idea when they were getting them, what color, and how many do you not understand? That particular carrier didn't have a clue on what they were going to get. I even called AT&T support and they had no clue either. If there's reported shortages on all carriers worldwide, that points to Nokia being the problem, especially since people are reporting quality issues as well.
    What part of AT&T needs to order them from Nokia before they are delivered do you not understand? And no, AT&T support isn't going to say "we screwed up and didn't order enough to meet the demand we're seeing". Furthermore, it's very unlikely that AT&T "support" has any visibility into the purchasing and expected delivery from a supplier. Separate department entirely.

if you make excuses for Nokia (like you are) then yeah if the shoe fits..people here are complaining about sim free phones not being available...thats not a carrier issue. If you have the cash Nokia should be able to supply you a phone.
    Why is it so hard to understand that someone needs to order a sufficient quantity from Nokia for them to be available for sale? If your local retailer didn't order enough then that simply isn't Nokia's fault. And I am not making "excuses" for Nokia. If you made some product and some company ordered 10 but ended up with demand for 50, is it your fault the company didn't order enough from you? Would you simply send more out without a purchase order?

You realize that you're not buying directly from Nokia, don't you? If you went to a Nokia store and they didn't have them in stock you would have a point, but you're not and you don't.
    11-22-2012 08:23 PM
    Don't take AT&T statements so close. AT&T reps NEVER know anything about shipments or contents. If you want real shipment details, contact inventory managers in AT&T stores. AT&T reps don't know because they don't care.
    11-22-2012 08:24 PM
    Actually we have no idea how many phones they sold or made. However if we hear they only sold a few hundred thousand this quarter, investors will punish them into bankruptcy. The better move at least a million 920s or they are done.
    Oh yes, that makes a ton of sense. Investors will say, "So it looks like the demand of your product is far outstripping what our expectations were, and you have the backing of a major global corporation. We're pulling the plug on you."

Remind me not to take any investment advice from you.
    socialcarpet likes this.
    11-23-2012 06:32 AM
    watch come earnings time...
    11-23-2012 08:59 AM
    Your store reps or support reps are low people on the totem pole. They'd have no idea about any inventory orders.
    11-23-2012 10:47 AM
    It depends on the agreements made in each region. If a carrier wants exclusivity, then Nokia may be limited in the amount of SIM-free phones they are allowed to make available. You also have to think about the Bands supported by the antennae. SIM-free doesn't mean one phone will work anywhere.

It sound like you just don't like hearing views that don't agree with yours, so you have to think of insults to label those who disagree. When it's pointed out to you, you defend your bad behavior. Is that really necessary? Do you think it elevates the discussion, or diminishes it?
    11-23-2012 10:55 AM
    That's not how it works. lol
    11-23-2012 10:58 AM
    You realize that you're not buying directly from Nokia, don't you? If you went to a Nokia store and they didn't have them in stock you would have a point, but you're not and you don't.
    Actually, even a Nokia store operates as a separate entity than manufacturing. A store would still have to make a guess in what expected demand would be, and then place an order.
    11-23-2012 11:01 AM
    I have a macbook pro and a L920, please don't hate on Apple that much, they spearheaded WP8 and even Windows 8. For years, OSX and iOS were far superior to everything else on the market.
    Pah-lease...
    11-23-2012 11:04 AM
    Jus happy that WP8 and the L920 are being recognized even if launch sales are far less that iPhone. At least I think there are those interested.Who would have ever thought about that? It wasn't like this with WP7 I'm sure.
    11-23-2012 03:11 PM
    Your store reps or support reps are low people on the totem pole. They'd have no idea about any inventory orders.
    Yeah, you're right. I forgot that asking store managers means I did everything wrong. Yeah, they ordered the phones and they weren't told when they'd be in, or what they would get out of their order. You must work for Nokia because you seem to ignore the entire discussion of orders were placed and not filled (and to this day still haven't been filled). You know everything apparently, you just can't believe that someone could be as smart as think you are, and asked the right people. Please forgive me for doubting you. I didn't realize that you knew exactly who I talked to, what their responsibilities are, and that I'm not smart enough to talk to the right people. I can't possibly know that Nokia didn't fulfill the basic orders, especially since there wasn't overwhelming demand, I was only the third or fourth person to ask about purchasing a 920 in four stores, and all of them hadn't received any inventory despite ordering on average 15-20 phones per store. I hate to break it to you, but don't know everything.
    11-23-2012 03:23 PM
57 123