The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-02-2013 06:01 PM
57 123
tools
    Demand > Supply is good problem to have in business.
    AAPL has the same problem with the iPhone and that is 2/3rds of their revenue. Their stock price paints a good picture.

Being a NOK share holder I like to read the business news-
    Nokia Jumps 6%: Danske Ups to Buy on Better Supply, Demand Outlook for Lumia - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

Signs are pointing to a limitation on the Qualcomm processor front that is limiting supplies-
    I think the Qualcomm (QCOM) situation will get better, he tells me, alluding to constraints on the processors that form the brains of the Lumia.

Someone earlier in the thread eluded to only 100 of thousand phones shipped-
    "Rauvola raised his estimate for the total number of Windows Phone 8-based units that Nokia may ship in 2013 to 36 million from a prior estimate of 23 million."

The only real painful part is watching Amazon's top seller list and not seeing our beloved Lumia 920 at the top because of the backorder issue. Especially on Black Friday!
    Getting more into the market (free advertisement) would definitely help get the Lumia market share.

With the Qualcomm issue getting better we will see more stock coming soon, and more market share. It will be nice to see supplies roll in before the holiday season completes.
    11-23-2012 03:56 PM
    And the winner is... HTC Today I did some shopping and wanted to see if Swisscom had the 920... They sure had the 8X and Orange was promoting the 8X and the OneX+ Android... HTC is shipping plenty of Blue and Black 8X... they're selling. It a shame cause so many here would buy a 920. Lame idea to stop manufacturing in South Korea... Now they have capacity shortages.
    Last edited by Coolknight1968; 11-23-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    11-23-2012 04:15 PM
    I have a macbook pro and a L920, please don't hate on Apple that much, they spearheaded WP8 and even Windows 8. For years, OSX and iOS were far superior to everything else on the market.
    Right there with you. I'm a lifelong Mac user. But, I love Windows Phone and I think Windows 7 and 8 are great, but lets get real. Everything Microsoft did prior to that with the exception of Xbox and Zune, was an embarrassment. Windows was always a horrible ugly OS that was less user friendly than it should have been. Windows Mobile was a misguided attempt to shoehorn that same ugly start button interface into a smartphone.

I'm as happy as anyone that Microsoft has finally found their mojo though, it gives us all more choices than Apple and the OS-which-shall-not-be-named.
    11-23-2012 05:03 PM
    Yeah, you're right. I forgot that asking store managers means I did everything wrong.

If you're goal was to find out how much AT&T as a company ordered from Nokia, then yeah, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, they ordered the phones and they weren't told when they'd be in, or what they would get out of their order.
    They don't place the orders directly to Nokia. They have their own fulfillment warehouses.

AT&T has a separate department that handles placing orders with OEMs.

You must work for Nokia because you seem to ignore the entire discussion of orders were placed and not filled (and to this day still haven't been filled).
    Are you confusing customer orders with orders made by the corporation?

Initial orders to stock AT&T warehouses were placed far before any customer preorders. The phones are custom made for the carrier they are going to, so turnaround time isn't exactly lightning quick. The initial order was likely placed several weeks before launch.

You know everything apparently, you just can't believe that someone could be as smart as think you are, and asked the right people. Please forgive me for doubting you. I didn't realize that you knew exactly who I talked to, what their responsibilities are, and that I'm not smart enough to talk to the right people. I can't possibly know that Nokia didn't fulfill the basic orders, especially since there wasn't overwhelming demand, I was only the third or fourth person to ask about purchasing a 920 in four stores, and all of them hadn't received any inventory despite ordering on average 15-20 phones per store. I hate to break it to you, but don't know everything.
    I don't know everything. But I do have a good knowledge about how business works, along with how corporations do ordering.

But if you want to get all bent out of shape about this, go ahead and believe what you want to believe. I just happen to be pretty sure you're wrong about how the process goes.

I also happen to believe that store managers are not a reliable source when dealing with corporate issues such as these.
    11-23-2012 05:32 PM
    I think, it is so bad that Nokia can not ship more 920s... The demand is there and phones with good sized displays like the S3 and HOX+ are in big demand. Especially that WP8 has huge speed and stability advantages and proper exchange server support that Android simply does not have... Plenty of users that are fed up with Sutterdroid. Many people will not buy the 8X cause they want more real estate, screen wise, not to mention the other goodies that come with the 920.
    11-23-2012 05:55 PM
    Here in Finland the Lumia 920 is breaking preorder records. 920's release date was few days ago and some people who preordered the phone months ago didn't get it because Nokia couldn't supply enough phones. Really unsusual situation here on Nokias home turf. I didn't preorder and need to wait week or two.

Damn Nokia shut down this years autumn its last remaining manufacturing plant in Finland. When Elop was hired he promised to not close it. So no more Made in Finland high end phones and unsual supply problem :(. Demand is also unsual high.
    11-24-2012 12:55 PM

If you're goal was to find out how much AT&T as a company ordered from Nokia, then yeah, you're doing it wrong.

I wasn't, I wanted to know when I could get a phone when I walked in the door. They said "We've placed orders for x number of phones in x color and were told that AT&T has recieved no word from Nokia on when they would arrive." Now, I hate AT&T with the best of them, but they weren't able to get phones day one. That is not their fault, that is Nokias fault and continued to be theirs for a few weeks after the 920 was released. I don't care how you think you know what you think you know, but as a customer that walked in the door, they weren't available in about a 50 mile radius for purchase, and they weren't even available for purchase in a town over 300 miles away that I visited for NYE, and all AT&T had to say is that they asked for them, and they never showed up. I just happen to not care that you believe you know everything about an entire corporations dealings across the entire United States. The fact is that they never arrived, and AT&T couldn't get any. Nokia dropped the ball whether or not you want to admit it.
    02-02-2013 06:01 PM
57 123