The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-25-2012 11:51 AM
50 12
tools
    If you aren't getting good battery life, then you have a defective phone, period. My wife and I both have L920's and we each, consistently, get a full days use, and then some...and I'm talking heavy use. I'm not saying you aren't experiencing poor battery life, but I am saying that you have a defective phone if you are.
    Dos101 and brmiller1976 like this.
    11-22-2012 07:32 PM
    Not that anyone seems to care about it on this thread but I've switched everything off, battery saver - I only got 7 hours on it with 44 texts sent and received and 17 minutes of music on phone (no streaming). Now if that is normal phone, I am baffled but I think it is not.. Hence an exchange.

However my question was - "defective phones" : how much does Nokia care about this?
    11-23-2012 09:00 AM
    The guys who manufactures lithium ion batteries have a fail rate of about 4% so there is no real way for the phone manufacturers to test each one before the put it inside their polycarbonate unibody shell. One downside of unibody: cannot replace the battery easily. If you see the apple forums, there are huge threads with people having issues with their batteries or screen responsiveness on some iphone 5 devices. There has got to be some combination of stuff.

I personally did not install skype yet but I did install nokia drive. I do believe when I turned on NFC it drained faster but I do get about 28 hours of battery. I mainly check email, play dalton the awesome, listen to my music, podcasts, watch couple videos on youtube, check weather for the day, twitter feeds, nextgen reader, always on LTE and wifi at home.
    11-23-2012 09:29 AM
    My impression is that the battery calibration is so bad that people can't really test whether anything is causing drain. This morning the level stayed at 100 percent for two hour of use. From that I conclude that the screen and the cell radio use no power. Wait, that can't be right.

Edit: I guess this point has been made a few times already. Still, I'm curious why the battery calibration seems particularly terrible on the L920.
    11-23-2012 09:48 AM
    Maybe someone with a Lumia 800 or 900 can shed light on this. I remember they had good number of battery issues for first 2-3 months until Nokia released a patch for it. I would have thought Nokia would learn from mistakes!
    11-23-2012 10:05 AM
    I'm not suggesting this is entirely the problem, however it's definitely not helping : Battery consumption after playing certain games - Microsoft Community

We are aware of reports that some customers are seeing higher than usual power consumption from certain games such as Angry Birds Star Wars. We are working with developers to update their games so that they suspends as expected when the user navigates away. In the meantime, customers can help ensure that the game suspends properly by using the Back button instead of the Windows button when navigating away from the game. Please be sure to install the updated game when you see the notification in the Windows Phone Store Hub of your phone.
    11-23-2012 10:18 AM
    I don't believe the other 10%.
    11-23-2012 10:26 AM
    Not that anyone seems to care about it on this thread but I've switched everything off, battery saver - I only got 7 hours on it with 44 texts sent and received and 17 minutes of music on phone (no streaming). Now if that is normal phone, I am baffled but I think it is not.. Hence an exchange.

However my question was - "defective phones" : how much does Nokia care about this?
    If you contact Nokia they will be more than willing to help with a replacement. IMHO they are treating customers very well and are doing everything they can to make sure we all have a working phone. That being said, I wonder if Nokia/MS knew about these issues before hand?
    11-23-2012 10:34 AM
    If you contact Nokia they will be more than willing to help with a replacement. IMHO they are treating customers very well and are doing everything they can to make sure we all have a working phone. That being said, I wonder if Nokia/MS knew about these issues before hand?
    Sure customer service is excellent but won't you expect quality control to be excellent too? 20-30 odd handset are understandable but 90% as the OP said?

I do understand there are surely ways in which you can keep your battery for longer but if I switch off my phone I bet after a month it will have only lost 5% battery!
    11-23-2012 10:42 AM
    The problem in my case is that the battery life is not bad per se, but it is inconsistent. I had my battery drain only a few percentage points over night, but last night I fully charged the battery and, when I woke the phone up in the morning, it told me that the battery is low and then I got the "Goodbye" screen. I did make sure nothing was running in the background. Go figure.
    11-23-2012 11:11 AM
    Sure customer service is excellent but won't you expect quality control to be excellent too? 20-30 odd handset are understandable but 90% as the OP said?

I do understand there are surely ways in which you can keep your battery for longer but if I switch off my phone I bet after a month it will have only lost 5% battery!
    90% is not a statistic. It's based on his opinion. Also, this is one forum, and if the reports are true that 2.5 million handsets were sold in the first batch, do you realize how small the percentage of people with faulty devices are? You only hear about the faulty devices cuz the rest of the 95%+ or so people with this device are enjoying it and not on here trying to solve the problem. Relax...if there's a faulty device, just go and get it exchanged, and who knows, it's probably because of the modifications AT&T made to the OS cuz so far no one with the international unlocked version has any complaints.
    11-23-2012 11:16 AM
    to put it simply, lte heats the phone up and drains the battery rapidly. On 4g i get 10 to 12 hours without having to turn everything off (essentially making it a dumb phone).
    kcco
    11-23-2012 11:33 AM
    90% is not a statistic. It's based on his opinion. Also, this is one forum, and if the reports are true that 2.5 million handsets were sold in the first batch, do you realize how small the percentage of people with faulty devices are? You only hear about the faulty devices cuz the rest of the 95%+ or so people with this device are enjoying it and not on here trying to solve the problem. Relax...if there's a faulty device, just go and get it exchanged, and who knows, it's probably because of the modifications AT&T made to the OS cuz so far no one with the international unlocked version has any complaints.
    I thought I read that carriers weren't allowed to make changes to WP8, unlike in Android, where it creates all sorts of issues.
    11-23-2012 11:49 AM
    I don't care who you are, I GUARANTEE you if you turn off all of those things, uninstall Nokia Drive beta and turn on battery saving, you will get MORE than acceptable battery life.
    First, I don't have any issue with battery life. I only recharge every 24 or so hours and have lots of "stuff" running.

But, if I had to turn off everything, what would be the point of having a "smart device"? I have it to get mail, text, tweets, turn-by-turn direction, local recommendations, take pictures, watch the weather, make calls -- you get the point. And active tiles -- this is one of the big pluses for the WP OS. I don't want to press a button to check the temp, or email, tweet, etc. If I wanted to do that I'd go back to Android.
    11-23-2012 12:14 PM
    To put it simply, LTE heats the phone up and drains the battery rapidly. On 4G I get 10 to 12 hours without having to turn everything off (essentially making it a dumb phone).
    I don't even have LTE in my area. I have HSPA+ your '4G'. I have experienced these issues with my three lumia 920s.
    11-23-2012 04:52 PM
    mcbred, you have 3 920s or went through 3 920s? Just curious.

I am on my first 920, with a rock solid build and no issues at all (except for WWF freezes, that app sucks). If you have gone through three then feel rest assured, you are more likely to be struck by a meteor than get another defective phone, as that is what you are describing. WP8 is rock solid, much better than what I have experienced first-hand with iOS and Android.

By the way, what phone OS did you come from?
    11-23-2012 05:18 PM
    In my case there is nothing wrong with battery life.

I get 20 hours and more without problems. And i use it with several apps, games,
    data connection on and almost bluetooth alltime on.
    And this all with more than 8 hours with very weak signal strenght.

rande
    11-23-2012 05:21 PM
    Since turning off, (blocking, NFC, etc.), what I don't need and three deep cycles the battery life has become very good.
    11-23-2012 08:26 PM
    This is really simple. If your phone isn't heating up while its draining fast, it's just normal battery usage and battery calculation learning. If you're getting a really warm/hot back of the phone then you know it's happening. I agree that easily most of these people are just not waiting for the battery to settle in after a few days or they have an insane amount of things going on/never stop using their phone and they need to set realistic expectations for themselves on smartphone use. You can't just game/watch videos/talk for hours all day plus do all the other usual things and have stellar battery life. I can say this because I've had the battery mysteriously drain quickly several times sometimes as often as once a day, BUT I've also had stellar battery life which is actually the norm. And I don't change anything I just use and enjoy the phone. There IS an issue, but it's nowhere near the scale it appears to be with these forum posts. No you absolutely should not have to turn off things you genuinely want to use, however you should recognize that depending on your habits, whether or not it's going to be a heavy day of usage, and the signal strength where you are, you may need to adjust accordingly. I usually like to leave WiFi and BT on all day out of convenience, however I do disable them when I know I'm going to have a heavy day in a low-signal datacenter. Yes I've had days like this:

(11PM after charging mid-day)

wp_ss_20121123_0001.png

But usually I have days like this:

(1:28AM after a very long day without charging)

eq2gu.png

I've now had my Lumia for around ten days and it's absolutely gotten better battery life overall now, because the calculations have settled down a bit. Don't freak out day one (or even day three), you have to give it some time before you can properly judge. I always have GPS on as well, though not in all areas (not in People Hub, not on camera), I have an exchange account always syncing, and I have FIVE other e-mail accounts that sync once an hour. Some hotmail some google. I also check my twitter feed religiously. The 920 battery is great UNLESS you hit the occasional mystery battery bug and also ONCE you have let it settle in after a few days.

Yes occasionally someone will get a bad battery, but do you guys seriously think every other post where they returned the device within a day or two or some guys are on their third one are actually that many legit battery failures? That's insane and I absolutely don't believe that.
    Attached Thumbnails brcul.png  
    Last edited by oldpueblo; 11-24-2012 at 12:28 AM.
    11-24-2012 12:13 AM
    After a couple of VERY frustrated days with unacceptable battery life:

I charged my L920 last night to full - from 9% to 100% in 2 1/2 hours. The phone sucked up battery really fast yesterday - doing nothing to really speak of.
    I had already turned off NFC, set emails to 15minute/30minute/1-hour/daily updates.
    I uninstalled the battery level app & Nokia Drive and only left 3 items updating - rebooting after the changes.
    So I tested it after the full charge since last night about 10:45PM (AZ time). The phone was sitting on my desk doing nothing (so I thought).

• After 1-hour 100% to 90%.
    • Next hour - still at 90%.
    • Next hour - 90% down to 84%.
    • Next 8 hours - 84% down to 32% (idle overnight - or was it as I explain below)
    • Next 30 minutes - 32% down to 25% - cleared out about 15 emails
    • Next hour - 25% down to 15%
    • Next 30 minutes - 15% down to 9%
    • At this point I recharged to 100%.

Took it to AT&T (as this was my 14th day and 2nd L920 as first one bricked).
    Manager has the phone and says he uses it heavily and goes the entire day - he immediately uninstalled the Face Book app & reinstalled.

With moderate use today I am 10 hours since last charge as I type this - 36% battery and estimated 6 hours remaining.
    So if I get the 16 hours today that will be amazing as yesterday was 8 hours total - with very lite use.

Will top off tonight and see where it is in the morning & report back.
    11-24-2012 01:02 AM
    People with bad battery life can you guys turn off Suggestions in Settings -> store, see if that helps.
    11-24-2012 02:49 AM
    Praise the Lord, someone talking sense. :)
    Yeah, praise the lord that someone gave us a fix for something that is broken and not working properly. Disabling all live tiles and/or disabling background notifications is the exact opposite of a solution. That's like fixing a breached hull in a boat by throwing heavy stuff in the boat overboard...it just doesn't fix the problem.
    Some people need to read this...
    Updating live tiles without draining your battery - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    11-24-2012 04:56 AM
    I have to agree on this one. Out of the box I was jamming on all the features and the device was a sucking vortex. I turned off everything that I don't use on a regular basis and performance is much better. As of now I haven't had it on the charger since yesterday morning and I still have about 2/3 battery left. And BTW - I love this phone!
    11-25-2012 10:37 AM
    My battery life has been great so far.
    11-25-2012 10:44 AM
    I've got a developer phone, did a fresh restore, disabled everything, didn't install anything, and still had wild estimates on battery drain after going days without a problem. I don't know if its real drain or just the battery measurement going berserk but it shouldn't be like this.
    11-25-2012 11:51 AM
50 12