AT&T data & mms not working. What are your APNs?

jwvjwv

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I just got an AT&T Lumia 920 yesterday, and both data and mms have not been working. I have almost full signal strength, and it says "4G" next to the signal strength icon, but any time I try to access the internet or use an app that needs access to the internet with wi-fi off, I am told there is a problem with my connection. I have tried turning off and on the phone, removing and reinserting the sim card, and I even did a hard reset. Same problem. Voice works, but no data, but i have my data set to "on." Can someone with AT&T go into their cellular settings and tell me all the APN settings to input? You should be able to see them if you go into settings > cellular > and tap "edit internet apn" and "edit mms apn." It looks like there are no APNs set up on my phone because all it says is "add internet apn" and "add mms apn."

johnnytoot

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure that's your problem. My data and mms work fine,and my options under cellular only show the add apn options just like yours. I got my 920 the day they came out. That seems really odd that it's showing 4g on the status. Normally if your phone wasn't provisioned properly, I would guess you would not see that at all.

Dramer77

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i had trouble sending mms messages.. what i found online was to go into cellular turn data off, back out then turn data back on... everything worked fine for me then

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Call customer support. I had problems and the person had to change what my account read. I came from an iphone 4s and some of my account options had the iphone 4s settings. After she made the change I shutoff my phone waiting about 10 seconds, turned it on again and everything worked.

Make sure your account has the windows phone data plan and visual voicemail not the iphone or android ones.

invictax

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
On the phone with ATT now. They said my data plan was missing. But the guy can't add it for some reason. He has to escalate and the expected resolution is December 4th. =P He is waving my first month of data @ $40. I am going to add the APN settings back in until it is resolved.

This was a brand new account so I am not coming from an iPhone or anything. Now I need to call customer support and talk to them about the activation fee, overnight shipping that took two days and price matching the sale today. Oh joy. :/

jwvjwv

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I called them today and had the same problem--no data plan. She got a data plan set up for me, and now it works. I wonder why you have to wait for December 4th? Anyway, this is strange because I selected a data plan when I ordered the phone from AT&T. I swear I selected a 200MB plan, but she said that one wasn't available anymore. I wonder if this was the cause. You should be careful about using those APN settings; the woman I spoke with on the phone earlier said that since there was no data plan, it defaulted to a sort of "pay as you go" data plan (even though data wouldn't work without adding the APN settings). I hope you won't incur any extra charges from using the APN settings while you wait for your data plan to be set up. You might want to check with them if you haven't already.

I had mine pricematched, you shouldn't have any issues, and if you do, just keep trying.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So, I have a very similar issue when I upgraded to my Lumia 920. I had 4G icon for data, but I was unable to receive (but could send) texts. The next day, my 4G icon disappeared, and I had no data. It took about 6 days of swapping phones, SIM cards, removing/adding features from my account AND escalating a ticket to AT&Ts higher tier techs. No resolution. So I closed my account and re-opened a new one (my suggestion) - no dice. Last resort - change my phone number (my suggestion) - worked. It had nothing to do with the representatives in the corporate store (that I know of), rather AT&Ts registration process not updating fully in all their systems. My texts could go out, I could make phone calls, and data eventually worked, but NEVER did receiving texts worked until I changed my phone number. It was a huge ordeal and the store credited me for the troubles. I really didn't want to change my number, but I'd rather have a functional phone and not wait for AT&Ts techs to figure it out "whenever". Just some advice if you have to go down this road.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss