Custom Nokia Changes in WP8

alex2364

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from a WP 7.5 Samsung Focus and just got a Lumia 920. After using the 920 for a few days, I realized Nokia have made some custom OS changes that I don't appreciate at all. The biggest thing I've noticed is that Nokia completely removed the link to the native Bing Maps app. They replaced it with their own Nokia Maps, which isn't a native app. I'm having numeruous issues with this.

1. When the app starts, there is a splash screen that causes a delay, which wasn't there with the native Bing Maps.
2. When I've used it, it crashes on me at least 5 times a day.
3. The app is completely broken right now with the latest update (more info here http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/204621-nokia-maps-app-start-up-issue.html).
4. Local scout uses Bing Maps
5. Clicking on an address in your contact will launch Bing Maps

So I'm wondering if anyone else is annoyed with this. I'm really disappointed Nokia made these changes without giving their customers a way to go back to the native app. I'm thinking about returning my 920 and get a HTC 8X instead to have 'pure' WP 8 experience.

Brian Lessard

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I recently got an 822 and I'm annoyed with Nokia Maps as well. Also, there seems to be no favorites button in Local Scout and when you select the address (from Local Scout or your address book) it defaults to a map (Bing maps) that isn't even technically on the phone (the only way to get to Bing Maps is to type m.bing.com/maps in explorer, and some settings like favorites seem to be disabled). Did HTC disable favorites from Local Scout on the 8x? When you select an address from you address book what map does it use?

Brian Lessard

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Apparently, Nokia HAS tampered with WP8 features and disabled favorites from Bing Maps and Local Scout. Nokia tech support says that this feature is working as they intended and are not planing on an update at this time. HTC 8X it is!

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from a WP 7.5 Samsung Focus and just got a Lumia 920. After using the 920 for a few days, I realized Nokia have made some custom OS changes that I don't appreciate at all. The biggest thing I've noticed is that Nokia completely removed the link to the native Bing Maps app. They replaced it with their own Nokia Maps, which isn't a native app. I'm having numeruous issues with this.

1. When the app starts, there is a splash screen that causes a delay, which wasn't there with the native Bing Maps.
2. When I've used it, it crashes on me at least 5 times a day.
3. The app is completely broken right now with the latest update (more info here http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/204621-nokia-maps-app-start-up-issue.html).
4. Local scout uses Bing Maps
5. Clicking on an address in your contact will launch Bing Maps

So I'm wondering if anyone else is annoyed with this. I'm really disappointed Nokia made these changes without giving their customers a way to go back to the native app. I'm thinking about returning my 920 and get a HTC 8X instead to have 'pure' WP 8 experience.

Hi....Don't do that because as of today...we don`t have any apps for the HTC 8X. Really the only thing that we have the the built-in maps but Nokia has made changes into that one also. Now we don't have any turn by turn navigation (in WP7.5 we had it). Also if you do a bing search and get info of a movie for example, you press on the movie get the showtime and choose your movie theater and you have the option "Drive" press on that a popup shows up asking if you want to go to the store to get an app....then clicking on "Yes" it tells you "Sorry there is no app for this"

Which basically SUCKS!!! Big time especially when coming from WP7.5 which we had it built-in and everything was working together...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
This is part of what Microsoft is paying Nokia for, to provide the underlying mapping for WP8. Dont think this will change anytime soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12