Nokia. Drive is terrible!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I love my Lumia 920, but Nokia Drive is the WORST navigator I've ever used.

I'm not going off one experience, I gave it one week and countless times it led me astray on simple directions and constantly selected bad routes to the destination.

It's disappointing, but I was forced to purchase Navigon because Nokia Drive is simply unusable.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a 900 and have many reproducible issues in San Diego. Houses on cul-de-sacs if they have a street behind them, Drive will route you that other street. Routes you know to be quicker don't get routed, but when you go, the time of arrival changes and goes lower...very odd. Also where ever you go is never mentioned again, have to see last destinations to see address if you forget it.. Otherwise its all right. Can't wait for street names to be announced.

zephyrwala

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm from India and I navigate on a daily basis with my Nokia drive and its been dead accurate every single time despite Nokia still working on many details here in India

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but you guys must be real special because everyone that I know that has used it says the same things I am saying. Even when I complained about this in the AT&T store, the sales guys in there said that they field complaints about Nokia Maps or Drive on a daily basis.

I love my Lumia, but Drive and Maps are pure trash. It's a freebie...my fault for expecting it to be decent.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've never used Nokia Drive on a WP, but I have used Nokia Drive on my Nokia N8 (Symbian^3 OS) in the U.S. and in France and it's been spot on everytime I've used it.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I love it.The last word that I would use to describe it is trash.

It has always gotten me right to where I wanted to go. As far as there being shorter routes, I've used many different GPS units over the last 12 years and I always have gone different ways than what they suggest locally.

toupac

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I wish it weren't the case but I have to agree. I love my Lumia 920 but in my personal experience, the Drive nav app is pretty bad. YMMV. I was very excited for the prospect of Drive being paired up with downloadable maps and offline navigation (one of the reasons I was drawn to the phone in the first place), but after much use it has been disappointing to say the least. I didn't notice these issues when using Drive for a short period of time locally but unfortunately they have popped up on my current cross country road trip.

My first major complaint is that the app is constantly freezing up on me and is therefore not updating my location properly because of it. It's very frustrating and can result in unnecessary rerouting and an extra amount of time spent getting from point A to point B. There are also times when I exit Drive, let's say to answer a phone call and then try to go back to Drive, it'll hang and hang and never pull the app back up again. In both cases, either a restart of the phone or stop/start new navigation is necessary in order to get Drive working properly again... and sometimes even that doesn't work. My other complaints have to do with the navigation not giving me enough information for it to be reliable. One of the things I experienced is that the text to speech does not tell me in advance what the exit number is. It eventually tells me the exit number but only when I'm already turning on to the exit. It also does not seem to give me enough time and warning to make the proper turn, exit, etc. Also, as others have pointed out, the navigation does not tell me if the destination is on my right or left. It is annoying and IMO a very important detail to exclude. Finally, it seems that the screen real estate is not being put to proper use. This, in turn, renders the viewing map small and therefore harder to see and follow. Seriously, why do the directions, ETA, speed, and menu button have to take up 1/3-1/2 of the screen?

Unfortunately, I have resorted to using Maps on my wife's iPhone 5. I hate to say it but it has worked a good deal better in the short time that I've used it... again YMMV. I still have a long road trip ahead of me and am now reluctant to use Nokia Drive. With that said, I do have faith in Nokia and I'm pretty confident they'll shore up the Drive app with updates. Aside from Drive (and Nokia Maps), I still love my Lumia 920. Just wish the app was better, even in it's current beta stage.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
At first it seemed like Nokia maps may not be so great in certain areas due to some saying it works fine while others complain of issues. This theory however was shot down when toupac mentioned issues while driving cross country...I haven't used a Nokia device but hearing this makes me wonder.

anon(5343177)

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I used Nokia Drive to plan a trip to a friends for Thanksgiving Dinner, it was spot on. I do have a few wishes of course.

First, I cannot understand why it would not integrate with my contacts. I had to go into contacts, copy the address and paste it into the destination in Drive. I am perhaps missing how to do this integrated, but if not this will hopefully be added before it moves from beta.

The second issue was related to Bluetooth - it would often cutoff the last word " Turn right in 100 yards" would be "Turn right in ... ". This might be the Bluetooth vs the app, although I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata that seems to have great Bluetooth connectivity with other devices.

These two issues being said, the app worked fine and I will not be paying for an alternative (or using a free one).

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Especially in Berlin it's top notch! Happened a few times that it gave me an alternative route because of construction works that had started just a few days, if not a few hours ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077