Lumia 920 Bricked - not responding at all.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Any thoughts here? I have tried the volume down/power button combo with no result. It was fine one minute while on a walk, and 5 minutes later I pulled it out of my pocket and it wouldn't respond at all.

I have plugged it in, with nothing in terms of a response. The phone was almost fully charged at the time.

This really sucks. I was starting to like this phone after some initial issues.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The phone has turned on again and seems to be working OK. It took three hours of sitting before it would turn on. This had better not be a reoccurring thing, or the phone will have go back.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
And, its doing it again.

I was using the phone with no issues (reading something on Kindle). I sat the phone down, picked it up again a few minutes later, nothing. It does not respond at all, and the soft reset elicits no response either.

F-ing brutal.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Reading around on the forums there are some issues with some apps (nokia drive beta, skype and Word with friends) are all ones I've heard mentioned of it locking up the phones. If you have any of those get it running again and remove those apps and see if it's any better for you.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I understand where you are coming from and appreciate the advice. However, the idea of removing apps I use and need to use so that my phone will work properly is a non-starter for me. Particularly, apps such as Nokia drive which were developed by the company who built the phone in the first place.

Regardless, in my situation, the first time it happened I was using no apps at all. The second time, I had already closed out the apps before locking my phone.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine was the same way. My phone was asleep and just never woke back up and I had to do the power/down reset. I didn't mean to get rid of the apps but if you want to see what the cause is do some troubleshooting. Remove the apps then add them back one by one. Drive is in Beta so it's possible to cause issues even if created by Nokia. It says Beta and you have to take that for what it's worth.

I don't care for words with friends but mine locked up after Installing Drive Beta. I got it back up and running, Removed and re installed the app and it's been fine since. I also have Skype installed. No issues so far.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine was the same way. My phone was asleep and just never woke back up and I had to do the power/down reset. I didn't mean to get rid of the apps but if you want to see what the cause is do some troubleshooting. Remove the apps then add them back one by one. Drive is in Beta so it's possible to cause issues even if created by Nokia. It says Beta and you have to take that for what it's worth.

I don't care for words with friends but mine locked up after Installing Drive Beta. I got it back up and running, Removed and re installed the app and it's been fine since. I also have Skype installed. No issues so far.

I understand what you are saying and I do appreciate the help.

I guess I just feel that I shouldn't have to play Sherlock Holmes to find a way to make a phone work properly. I do add the caveat that drive being in beta causes me to extend some allowances that direction. Either way, I wasn't using any of those apps when I had the problems so it is hard to see how they would have caused the issue.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing though. You don't have to be using the apps nor do they have to be running. I'm just taking this from others I've read and my own personal experiences. Some people are just going back to the store or Nokia to get it replaced and their replacements are doing the same thing. We just need some patches/bug fixes and I think these issues people are seeing will go away.

I'm new to WP, Came from the iphone 4s and I'm personally missing a lot of stuff I used/liked about the iphone I don't have now but I want to stick with it and see them get better.

:)

mMrLeeee

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
you have no reason to stick with nokia/WP8. you dont owe them anything. if you're unhappy with it and miss the iphone go back to that. i had 2 lumia 920s brick on me. then i switched to the 4s and am loving it. no problems whatsoever. i am never going back to WP8 unless they fix all these problems, which will take a while. we are their beta testers. this phone is crap

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
you have no reason to stick with nokia/WP8. you dont owe them anything. if you're unhappy with it and miss the iphone go back to that. i had 2 lumia 920s brick on me. then i switched to the 4s and am loving it. no problems whatsoever. i am never going back to WP8 unless they fix all these problems, which will take a while. we are their beta testers. this phone is crap

I think people understand that they have choices. The OP is asking how to handle issues he's having. Many of us haven't been experiencing any issues at all, but you're not going to see thousands of threads titled, "Everything is fine. No issues. Move along..."

The thing I find curious is that you're even here posting on this forum. Why?

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree that you shouldn't have these types of issues. Make sure you are using the included charger (if you've ever charged your iphone with the wrong charger you'll know what I'm talking about). Uninstall any beta apps. I agree that beta apps shouldn't brick a phone though, but I think they (Nokia) are getting a lot of feedback on this and will hopefully fix this quickly.

I don't think this is a hardware issue or as common as it seems. The problem is that people exchange their phone, then do the same thing, then have the same issue again. I agree that you shouldn't have to play 'Sherlock', I think this is a combination of Microsoft improving their app testing process before it's published to the store and some tweaks to the OS.

Hang in there, and if you find out what caused it, please post. I've not had any issues, but I've been careful with only enabling what I need and not installing a ton of apps.

When I got my first iphone, I went crazy and let apps take defaults with location etc. The battery would die so quickly. It took a while to learn what to do and what not to do.

Bottom line: Knowing what to do and having no issues is different to 'it just works'. I don't think any platforms allow you to do whatever you want with no consequence, but I do agree that there are some bugs in WP8 that need addressing.

Hang in there ... if everyone quits when there are issues, this platform won't get better.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
@MrMLeee No issues? Did you keep the brightness at the factory default? Do you let the apps use location whenever they want? Have you tried the podcasts app made by Apple? (hint: it's buggy as heck, albeit improved with the latest release), Tried Apple maps? Wondered why Safari will just close with no error and you'll be back at the home screen? Tried to rely on iMessage and have it go down randomly? Had any battery issues with IOS 5, 5.01 or IOS 6? Ever updated the OS on an older device and had it perform very poorly?

The grass isn't greener, I know, I have both devices. The apps on the iPhone (for the most part) are definitely more mature. But the screen is tiny and I have to wrap the damn thing in armor to protect it. The proprietary accessories mean I have two sets of chargers. It's preference right now, and my preference is (quite obviously) windows Phone.

mMrLeeee

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I think people understand that they have choices. The OP is asking how to handle issues he's having. Many of us haven't been experiencing any issues at all, but you're not going to see thousands of threads titled, "Everything is fine. No issues. Move along..."

The thing I find curious is that you're even here posting on this forum. Why?

i wasn't replying to OP. i was replying to Sinabu. please re-read and get your facts straight. why am i posting on here? it's because I've owned TWO lumia 920s and they both had major problems, ones that were big enough to send back to ATT and get it replaced

mMrLeeee

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
@MrMLeee No issues? Did you keep the brightness at the factory default? Do you let the apps use location whenever they want? Have you tried the podcasts app made by Apple? (hint: it's buggy as heck, albeit improved with the latest release), Tried Apple maps? Wondered why Safari will just close with no error and you'll be back at the home screen? Tried to rely on iMessage and have it go down randomly? Had any battery issues with IOS 5, 5.01 or IOS 6? Ever updated the OS on an older device and had it perform very poorly?

The grass isn't greener, I know, I have both devices. The apps on the iPhone (for the most part) are definitely more mature. But the screen is tiny and I have to wrap the damn thing in armor to protect it. The proprietary accessories mean I have two sets of chargers. It's preference right now, and my preference is (quite obviously) windows Phone.

well I'm glad you're happy with your WP. i wish i was happy with mine. but after going to iOS, i am not looking back. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. i had 2 lumia 920s in a matter of 2 weeks. the problems you stated that iOS has isn't as bad as the lumia's (bricking from using simple apps). you get what you pay for. i mean, $50 for a flagship phone after 2 weeks being out? that's cheap and nokia did it because they knew these problems would arise. it's like comparing a daewoo to a toyota

muhlan

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
well I'm glad you're happy with your WP. i wish i was happy with mine. but after going to iOS, i am not looking back. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. i had 2 lumia 920s in a matter of 2 weeks. the problems you stated that iOS has isn't as bad as the lumia's (bricking from using simple apps). you get what you pay for. i mean, $50 for a flagship phone after 2 weeks being out? that's cheap and nokia did it because they knew these problems would arise. it's like comparing a daewoo to a toyota

So please move on to an iphone forum and stop trolling around. I doubt you ever used one single Lumia 920.

Laceym

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
My wife's phone does this when it has been charging over night (factory charger). The first time it happened, I was able to wake it up by randomly pushing buttons but it took a while. When it came up, it had 14% battery. It happened again last night and I am still unable to wake it up. She's taking it back today. I hope they have a red one in stock.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Some other websites are saying that skype might be the issue. I decided to take a shot at this theory and have uninstalled the app for the time being.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
OP,
At the end of the day, you have a couple options. You can play "Sherlock Holmes" and try and figure out the issue. Short of that, you can take it back and exchange it or you can just return it period. There is no magical thing anyone here is going to tell you, especially if you admit your are unwilling to troubleshoot. I can say that I have used all the apps your are referring to and have not had the issue you speak of. Anecdotal, yes, but my feeling is that it isn't necessarily a software issue. By far, the biggest complaint about the phone that I am seeing here is battery drain, followed by the cog wheels of death screen when trying to restore (often in an effort to improve battery).

Whatever you choose, best of luck.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
@mMrLeeee

Since you were directing that towards me. Apparently you didn't read what i typed and assumed I was hating on the 920. Let me bold it so you can clearly understand it.

I'm new to WP, Came from the iphone 4s and I'm personally missing a lot of stuff I used/liked about the iphone I don't have now but I want to stick with it and see them get better.

I love my 920 thank you very much and I tell everyone I meet and show them. Yeah i've had issues but so has my iphones and so has my androids Looks like you've already jumped ship so there is no point in even responding anymore.

I'm hanging in for the long run and I want to see WP8 grow and flourish into a great OS.

Jonas Karlsson

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that the same thing happened to my Lumia 920 today, was in the kitchen using twitter. Picked up the phone and walked to the livingroom and - the phone was dead, impossible to turn on. I tried holding the volume down button pressed for 10 seconds, nothing. About an hour later I tried with volume down + powerbutton for about 15 seconds. And suddenly it came to life.

/Jonas

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12