LED has stopped working completely. :(

rickylago2

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Title pretty much says it. Got my Cyan Lumia in the mail. Worked perfect for a few days... and still runs awesome now, however, my LED flash has stopped working. It doesn't work in the camera app, or the flashlight apps :/
I've tried multiple restarts, and I've tried to find some fix online, but it doesn't look like anyone has had the same problem, or at least they haven't found a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Daniel_A

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Mine did the same thing last night. It has been working just fine for the last week or so, but I went to take a picture last night, and nothing.

Went to Nokia's site and did a live chat with a CS rep, and they had me turn off, then reset the phone, but it didn't fix the issue. They then said to take it back to the ATT store.

I had a single stuck pixel on the screen, so I guess it's not terrible I have to exchange it. Hopefully the replacement I get will be better.

Such is the life of an early adopter I suppose.

Daniel_A

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It seems like a mechanical problem. I turned on the flash using a flashlight app, then pressed the flash with my finger nail and it came on. Couldn't get it to consistently stay on, so I can't self repair

BAUERMUNDO

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It seems like a mechanical problem. I turned on the flash using a flashlight app, then pressed the flash with my finger nail and it came on. Couldn't get it to consistently stay on, so I can't self repair

Experienced the same thing. I was testing out the flashlight app and it wasn't working. Without closing the app, i set the 920 down and saw the light come on. I picked it up and noticed the light only turned on if i applied a little pressure to the camera.

Definitely seems like a hardware issue.

rickylago2

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the vid and confirmation that it's hardware. I did a buyers remorse exchange through AT&T. I had to talk to 13 reps in 6 departments over the course of two days.... But hey... I finally got it done.

Matthew Kallerud

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Title pretty much says it. Got my Cyan Lumia in the mail. Worked perfect for a few days... and still runs awesome now, however, my LED flash has stopped working. It doesn't work in the camera app, or the flashlight apps :/
I've tried multiple restarts, and I've tried to find some fix online, but it doesn't look like anyone has had the same problem, or at least they haven't found a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Same problem. Doesn't work by pressing on the back as other posters have said.

BAUERMUNDO

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
pressing on the back seemed to only work when using SOS on the flash light app. I'm guessing you need to be pressing the back before the flash comes on if you're using a non-flashing light (i can't think of the word for a non-flashing or steady light).

If pressing the back still doesn't work, maybe it's completely loose to the point there's no contact at all anymore.

If you've done soft/hard resets and the flash still doesn't work, it's gotta be hardware.

Mavwin

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. I can get the flash to work when I apply pressure to the area around the flash led.
I'm going to wait a while before I will exchange my 920, hoping that the future ones will have better quality.

lbandlin

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. No LED-function after prox 2 weeks usage. No trauma to the phone whatsoever.
Seems to be a global issue.
Claimimg the warranty to replace it next week.
Anders, Sweden

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My LED stopped working as well. Oddly, at first it only worked with one of several flashlight apps and with camera flash. After Portoco update, although this is probably a coincidence, it stopped working altogether. Guess I have to either turn it in for service or not. I really really don't want the phone reset again now that I have set everything up to perfection.

pjm1891

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Guess I'll have to turn mine in as well same issue as previous posters, only works when pressure is applied to the back.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
More QA issues for this phone.. Seems to be turning into a nightmare... My 920 is working flawlessly right now (1st replacement), but, I'm not too hopeful for the longevity of this device.

peter14f

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the same exact problem. Also, I noticed that if I press on the led, it actually goes down (i.e., into the phone) a little bit. Has anyone tried popping the phone open and see what the cause is?

peter14f

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I figured out how to fix this problem. You need a T5 screw driver to pop your phone open. You can follow this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpS2XncKxSU
And then use a small flat screw driver to lift 'up' the two metal connections right next to the camera as circled in red.
When you put the phone back in the housing, you want those two metal pins to be touching the surface circled in blue.

Attachments

• 920flash.jpg
    920flash.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 40
  • 920flash2.jpg
    920flash2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 206

webtwozero

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
+1 to peter14f's solution. Worked perfectly - getting the back off was tricky, but using a spudger helped a lot with that. I suspect that if it fails again ( the pins bend back down ) that I'll take it apart again, and add some solder to them for a better solution.

Aqeel Ahmad

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
pressing on the back seemed to only work when using SOS on the flash light app. I'm guessing you need to be pressing the back before the flash comes on if you're using a non-flashing light (i can't think of the word for a non-flashing or steady light).

If pressing the back still doesn't work, maybe it's completely loose to the point there's no contact at all anymore.

If you've done soft/hard resets and the flash still doesn't work, it's gotta be hardware.

You are absolutely right.

PBV

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Thank you so much for the fix. I was quoted $100 by a local phone repair shop but after watching a couple of you tube videos on disassembly and using the pics in this thread it took about 15 minutes to get things working. To check for a hardware failure it is necessary to press near the light before turning on an app. Using the SOS on my flashlight app creates on/off and allows to press on the phone while the app is running.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
this thread should be a sticky. probably a lot of 920 folks are going to need this fix sooner or later

The first time it failed I knew what caused it. Those heart rate apps that require you to press your finger against the camera. I couldn't get a good reading so I pressed harder and harder. Gee, who would have known that would smash those electrical contacts down so that the flash would fail. So I bent the contacts up at an angle and fixed it. It worked for a while then failed again. This time I bent the contacts up almost straight up higher than the first fix. It's working now and has been for a while. I will say I'm a little more careful about situations where there's pressure against the back of the phone, like if it's in your pocket and you mash it up against something. Oh, and I got rid of those heart rate apps.

btw, when you have your back off, great time to replace the battery if your battery is old and weak

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo