MS developing FULL Windows 8 pro Surface Phone? Will we be abandoned like Win 7 phone

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I would stick to getting your Windows Phone news right here at WPcentral. Seems like click bait to me. WP 8 is already on a similar system like the surface tablets. That's why WP 7 devices can't be upgraded to WP 8. The author of that article is either misinformed or he is trying to misinform others for clicks. I think what is really happening is that MS is making a Surface branded WP8. And I can only hope MS brings more Windows 8 features to Windows Phone 8... And lolz at the one comment on that article.

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think what he is trying to say is that Microsoft might be creating a phone under Microsoft's own branding just like the surface...it'll still have wp8 as the OS tho. This has been speculated by analysts IF Nokia and other venders don't help wp8 take off

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 share the same core, but in term of technology, they are 2 different products. One is for PC or tablet and one is for smartphone devices. We all know that Microsoft did show some Win 7 build that run on phone used ARM chip, but because at that point, the processor did not fully optimize for a big OS like Windows, so they needed to develop Win RT. Even if they actually develop full Windows 8 Pro on phone, what chip can utilize the power? At this point, there is only Intel chips but they are not really powerful enough to run the Pro version. If it is RT version, then it is possible. By few years later from today when mobile CPU - GPU can equal desktop CPU - GPU, they might combine Windows and WP to one product to run one multiple devices

My thought about the Surface is that the phone is just a backup plan if Nokia or HTC or any OEMs fail to get WP8 to consumers, but as 920 is selling like hotcake, it is another story. They might just look like Google that release a phone without any restriction from carrier and probably cut cost, but they don't have any telephone patents to backup, so either they need some OEMs to build for them and take half credit, or they purchase the OEMs and take all credit.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Seems MS is developing all new full Windows 8 pro Surface phone to interact fully with new Surface Tablets and run same software as tablets etc.

Will new Winphone 8 be thrown under bus like Winphone 7?

Stephen Elop: MS ‘Surface’ Windows Phone Could

Stephen Elop: MS ‘Surface’ Windows Phone Could Help ‘Ecosystem’ | WP7 Connect

hard questions need to be asked

How did you deduce any of what you wrote after reading anything from the link that you posted?

mrbill66

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There were other stories about this but I only linked to the Elop one. Some of the other stories talked of IF this new full blown Win 8 Surface phone were to exist, then it could run same software as tablets etc......Just like the iPad and iPhone....and even the Desktop. Something even Apple can not do as iPad stuff won't run on Mac desktop. Would be interesting if MS devices could all run same apps.

But if true, woul again drop off existing stuff.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Seriously WHERE in that article or anywhere else did you read anything about a phone running Windows 8 Professional. Please point that out to us, because it's ridiculous on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

Do yourself a favor and don't get worked up about stuff like this. First of all there is no way in **** Microsoft is making a Win 8 PRO phone. No. Not happening. Not ever. Not a chance. Forget it.

Second of all, the only way Microsoft would even bother to make this mystical "surface phone" everyone is crowing about is if they felt the need to give Windows Phone a boost. The entire purpose of it would be to improve the profile of Windows Phone, not introduce a magical phone that runs a desktop OS for no apparent reason making Windows Phone obsolete over night. What kind of sense would that make? Just take 5 minutes and REALLY think about it. Does that sound likely to you?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
There were other stories about this but I only linked to the Elop one. Some of the other stories talked of IF this new full blown Win 8 Surface phone were to exist, then it could run same software as tablets etc......Just like the iPad and iPhone....and even the Desktop. Something even Apple can not do as iPad stuff won't run on Mac desktop. Would be interesting if MS devices could all run same apps.

But if true, woul again drop off existing stuff.

XJyVF.gif

IF they made a Surface phone that ran Windows RT, for some strange reason, then it would have only the Metro interface, just like RT tablets...or...uh..Windows PHONE already has.

So they are going to make a phone-sized phone that runs Windows RT so it can do what exactly? Run the exact same apps that Windows Phone would run? Because Windows RT doesn't have a regular Windows Desktop, it's not x86 based and it doesn't run regular Windows apps. What would be the point of a Windows RT phone when Windows Phone already exists then and when WP8 was specifically designed to share the kernel to make apps easy to port right over?

Help us understand your logic here.

Rich White

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's rumored to be an Enterprise WinTel Phone.

Take the Dell Latitude 10 hardware and put it into an Intel Phone

Latitude 10 Tablet Details | Dell?

as an update of the Intel atom phone released earlier this year and released in the U.K.

Intel goes mobile with Atom Z2460 and this time it's serious

The buyer will be enterprise orgs that need to run some desktop apps like Access and some custom apps. Skype will replace the trad phones, a 24-27" touchscreen monitor and docking station will replace the Black Box and the Wintel Pro Surface Phone will be the head unit.

I'm not saying its ready for prime time but that's the vision. Good bye Black Box and there's no need for All-in-ones in 5 years at the rate phone hardware is progressing. . We'll know more in February

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the reality is that the Lumia 920 is already more popular than the Surface. I understand that Surface marketing has been gimped by MS, but really, I think the more successful the 920 is, the less likely a surface phone will be. In saying that, the Nexus 4 appears to be competing with the Galaxy S3, although without carrier support, it will only get so far.

Last edited:

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My guesses on the MS Surface Phone...it is coming but probably not before 2014; it will not require a powerful device because it will be all cloud-based; more as a client device which is where computing if going, anyway.

Rich White

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the reality is that the Lumia 920 is already more popular than the Surface. I understand that Surface marketing has been gimped by MS, but really, I think the more successful the 920 is, the less likely a surface phone will be. In saying that, the Nexus 4 appears to be competing with the Galaxy S3, although without carrier support, it will only get so far.

It's the Wintel thing. Intel wants to be a player in that space and it has only one dance partner that wants to talk to them. I'd be surprised if they don't offer a 7" WinPro Surface form factor before attempting the 5" phone form factor.

MrSnipeSnipe

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the rumors are true, But I don't think we really know if its a Surface WP8 or just a MS phone made by MS. It really does not matter if Lumia is more popular, in the end we want all the hardware makers to be successful if we want WP to be competitive and flourish. If you look at Google for example its clear MS can make there own phone and keep the Nokia,HTC's etc happy at the same time.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Doubt they'd make one. The reason they did the surface was to set the standard for TabletPCs. They'd only make a Surface phone if the current OEMs aren't able to generate the hardware they deem worthy of WP8. We can see they worked with HTC on their 8 series to get the phone they wanted and yet despite that, the Lumia series still shines through as the flagship for WP8 and both seem to be doing relatively well. These aren't shoddy devices but really solid devices. It would be really hard for MS to set a standard higher than what has been done already by HTC and Nokia. So I totally doubt they'd do a Surface Phone anytime soon.

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand how MS making a phone will have any negative effect for WP8 users. Unless your upset because you just went into a 2 yr contract with a 920. I did and if they release a Surface phone with a big screen I would get it and sell my 920. Btw Win 7 users didn't get abandoned, its called progress. I'm guessing ppl who went 2yr deals with the 900/Titan II are still upset.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The main problem I see with this is the statement "full windows 8 pro". The power consumption is just not feasible. Windows 8 Pro is designed for x86 chips. That means the phone would have to have an x86 chip. That is just not going to happen.

So let's say they go with Windows 8 RT. That is more feasible in terms of power draw as it is designed for ARM chips, just like WP8. But wait. Why on earth would they have developed Windows Phone 8, knowing full well that they were going to move to Windows 8 RT a few months later. That doesn't make sense. One might argue that they already "scrapped" WP7 in favor of 8. Well, the circumstances are different. They did that so development for desktop and mobile platforms could work in parallel. Again, why go through all THAT work if you are just going to run the same OS you worked so hard to run in parallel with your newest phone OS?

Then there is the fact that Windows 8 is not at all optimized for being a phone. We fall back to the same question: Why spend the time rewriting Windows Phone and optimizing it for phone use when, the end goal is to just use Windows 8 as your phone operating system?

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if MS decides to release a surface phone. It may be themed after their surface, and even look like a mini surface (a la Apple and their line of iOS devices). But if they go through with it it's still, almost certainly, going to be running WP8.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Why would Microsoft release YET ANOTHER mobile OS right after WP8?

Not gonna happen.

What might happen? Surface Phone (a Microsoft-branded WP8 handset).

What WILL happen? Within the next couple of versions, Windows Phone and Windows itself will converge. Bill Gates himself talked about it. But that's not coming for a while, and when it does, it will be a natural and smooth progression.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos