Lumia 920 dead (black screen)

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Sir, after Portico update your phone will not have this issue (or it will be severely limited )
the cause of this is mainly related to Wlan+bluetooth and NFC drivers which are being worked on around the clock at Microsoft .

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sir, after Portico update your phone will not have this issue (or it will be severely limited )
the cause of this is mainly related to Wlan+bluetooth and NFC drivers which are being worked on around the clock at Microsoft .

I had the Portico update and just had a black screen phone freeze last night. None of the buttons worked and the Unit didn't power on. I had to do a soft reset by holding the volume down button and the power button for a few seconds.

Red87

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
After I bricked my 920 and reflashed it, its been a week and no restarts or anything; I used to get 1-2 every day, sometimes 3 or more. I am really curious what the cause is but hopefully us in the EU get the Portico update soon.

Don Dallen

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I had the Portico update and just had a black screen phone freeze last night. None of the buttons worked and the Unit didn't power on. I had to do a soft reset by holding the volume down button and the power button for a few seconds.
That was interesting and post #21 as well, hopefully MS will find the root of all this very soon....i do have both wireless/bluetooth on at all times so this is maybe why i see it a little bit more. Hopefully updates to apps are going to start arriving because too many are old and not made for WP 8.

John Korondy

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I found a solution! Finally... You need the Nokia Software Updater for Retail to flash the latest available firmware to your Nokia phone. The new firmware (version 1232.5957.1308.0001) has stopped the brick mode in its tracks. There are a lot of sites advertising this software, but all that I found require registration or the downloading some additional software. You can download the working retail version 2.0.6 here -- without registration and without any additional garbage software. It will update itself to 3.0.4 (or the most current version). I have run it on Windows 8 and Windows 7, connected to my unlocked Lumia 920 (RM-821_apac_philippines_388) and it works great. Firmware updated and it hasn't shut down since!

UPDATED 7/27/2013: I uploaded the new Nokia Software Updater version 3.0.8. Flashing new firmware has helped thousands so far. Simple, hassle-free download and detailed instructions can be found here.

Last edited:

Charles Ong

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I found a solution! Finally... You need the Nokia Software Updater for Retail to flash the latest available firmware to your Nokia phone. The new firmware (version 1232.5957.1308.0001) has stopped the brick mode in its tracks. There are a lot of sites advertising this software, but all that I found require registration or the downloading some additional software. You can download the working retail version 2.0.6 here -- without registration and without any additional garbage software. It will update itself to 3.0.4 (or the most current version). I have run it on Windows 8 and Windows 7, connected to my unlocked Lumia 920 (RM-821_apac_philippines_388) and it works great. Firmware updated and it hasn't shut down since!

Hi john, your from philippines right? If i flashed my lumia will this void my warranty? Im stil within the 7 days replacement period and is hesitant to do anyhing drastic.

Hows the update going for you so far? No more crashes or random freezing issues? Thanks in advance!

John Korondy

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Hello Charles! Using an official piece of Nokia software (that checks the compatibility with your phone) to flash the latest released Nokia firmware will NOT void your warranty. I have updated my site with the latest progress and also address the scare tactics (no warranty, dead phone, etc.) here.

I also share some personal stuff about me on the right side of the page (Philippines, etc.) Good luck!

Charles Ong

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello Charles! Using an official piece of Nokia software (that checks the compatibility with your phone) to flash the latest released Nokia firmware will NOT void your warranty. I have updated my site with the latest progress and also address the scare tactics (no warranty, dead phone, etc.) here.

I also share some personal stuff about me on the right side of the page (Philippines, etc.) Good luck!

Hi john.thanks for the response. I already saw your blog and will try it as soon as possible. My phone is up for replacement right now.hopefully the problem wont persist anymore. Thanks for sharing the possible fix.really appreciated it.

Oh and by any chance did you also post at gsmarena? I think i read your post there,if that was really you.

matro

Mar 5, 2002
Visit site
...and this problem happens again, now with WP 8.10.12382.878 (WP 8.1 with the first patch applied). it's funny, after all these years, and for strange that it is, the same issue got my wife with her 1020. yeah, that could be due to local carrier (Switzerland, Orange) and hardware related... can't think about anything else. my sister got the same issue in Italy with a different operator, so that issue may affect other carriers too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234