Argh! Dust under the FF camera lens!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
My good run with the 920 has come to an end... :( Picked up my device to use it this morning and there is dust under the glass for the front facing camera... And it shows up on photos!

:'(

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If you spray compressed air into the headphone jack, it clears put the dust. Looks like someone at the factory forgot to seal the camera and headphone jack! I will call Nokia and see what the story is.

muddtt

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I found dust under mine as well. Didn't really effect pictures at all. And I hardly ever use the front camera. But I'm getting it exchanged anyways.

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
my first one had this too. fingers crossed this one is sealed properly. it builds up super fast. i was trying so hard not to exchange but any one full day with phone in my pocket lead to another spec or two.

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I have some dust under my FF camera as well, but it doesn't show up in photos and I never use it anyway. It's annoying, but not to the point of going through the hassle of a replacement.

Ironsyde5

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
My first Lumia 920 accumulated more and more dust in the front camera, and after about 30 days, the front proximity sensor stopped working. This meant that the screen always turned black as soon as I would make a phone call preventing me from using the other phone features or even hanging up! Swapped it out for another 920 as was my only option, and guess what, after 5 days there is already dust accumulating in the front camera housing, AGAIN... The worst part, I'm past my 14 days to swap it for a different phone, and ATT is giving me **** just trying to get another replacement... TERRIBLE! Plus the WP8 ecosystem sucks, but I knew that going into this.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
Is it coming in from the headphone jack or ear speaker slot?

I'm seeing it here and there after carrying the 920 in my pocket for a while but as many have pointed out, a burst of compressed air does the trick. I can't get too upset because it clears out quickly and I rarely use my front facing camera.

Still... you have to wonder where the dust ends up.

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I believe the dust is coming from the speaker, dust gets collected there (since its black) you can see all the particles, I've made the mistake to blow on it my guess is that you can put a perimeter cover similar to the one used for the iphone 4 proximity sensor fix (Proximity Sensor Cover for iPhone 4) obviously adjusted in size, so that it will put more pressure around the speaker and not allow any particles into the proximity sensor or the camera. Of course I dont know what kind of issues you'll have on the audio side, maybe its better to do this on the camera itself, I haven't taken the phone apart so I dont know the measurements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos