Attention! Possible Lumia 920 design defect

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just got my 1st black l920 and, so far, i have no issues with it, there is no gap (as above), i read somewhere that they are made in mexico but mine was made in china (according to the box it came in).... i wonder if there is a quality control issue depending on the country of manufacture?
My developer kit box says made in China, if it means anything.

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
So, I absolutely am have this issue. Noticed it yesterday. Was just about to make a thread seeing if others had found this too, then I found this thread.

The first time I noticed it I almost thought it was a button. On my BlackBerry Dev Alpha device, the power on/off button is located at the top of the phone in the middle, so I accidentally did the same thing on my 920 one time and noticed it clicked. Then I was like... what the heck?! There's definitely a noticeable up/down movement with a bit of a click to it. To the right of the sim card slot, more over and even a bit to the right of the headset jack is where there's the most noticeable feel of a click. I didn't notice this on my first Lumia 920 (onto my second one now).

Wonder how many units will have this save behavior. It sounds like not all units are affected, but even based on this thread quite a few are / will be. Design defect or defective unit? Probably a bit of a both.... the design "looks" fine, but even based on this thread it seems this is going to be an issue that pops up a bit.... part of executing that design into manufacturing and something isn't quite 100% there.

It's not horrible by any means, basically would never notice unless you accidentally press up there, but definitely a bit annoying as of course I'd rather it be perfect.

Mike_J

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think I know what you have - I replaced the screen on my wifes Lumia 800 and noticed a clicking noise the next day when I pressed on the top section of the screen. I pulled the phone apart again (so easy once you know how) and found that the top of the screen had separated from the digitizer - I just super glued the sides back on and the click has gone. So I guess you are unlucky but this will be the noise - screen separating from digitizer.

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine doesn't have the issue, but if someone else has it, he has the right to complain. We paid the same price, so he/she would expect it to be good quality.
I don't understand people that say stop whining. If none of us complained, you would never be getting high build-quality phones.

Anyways, i would exchange it with a new one if it's possible.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I think I know what you have - I replaced the screen on my wifes Lumia 800 and noticed a clicking noise the next day when I pressed on the top section of the screen. I pulled the phone apart again (so easy once you know how) and found that the top of the screen had separated from the digitizer - I just super glued the sides back on and the click has gone. So I guess you are unlucky but this will be the noise - screen separating from digitizer.

I should clarify that mine is not the screen. Nor do I think it is for many of these people. It is a slight flex in the unibody casing. My screen is rock solid. I am 100% sure if I opened the phone (which appears easy with the two exposed screws) that there would be an opening up there with nothing inside. This gives it the room to flex ever so slightly.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Ummm, who pushes the top of the phone anyways when there are not any buttons? I would understand this if the gap between the display and top part of shell is so big that it catches your attention. But without that, who in earth pushes (with significant force) area where there are nothing to be pressed or pushed?

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
If every phone has it and it doesn't affect the performance of the phone then it's NOT a flaw or defect. That's what's known as "it is what it is"
Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express

wp7USER

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Yup I have the same thing. And this is my second Lumia. I went and exchanged mine cause I was having the vibrating issue. The Rogers rep and I went through 2 Lumias and the both of them was vibrating loudly. Anyhow we gave up and I took the last Lumia he brought out. The funny thing is that the Rogers rep really wanted to switch to windows phone but after he saw this defect I don't know what he's thinking now. With that being said, I love the OS although there is quite some room for improvement but I can live but the design quality that Nokia brought forth, I don't know man. I now have this squeaking/clicking noise from now both top and bottom of the phone including the vibrating noise. At first this exchange wasn't making the noise but before less than a day it began again. Am not a troll or anything cause am an avid Microsoft dude no other OS completes me lol. But there are something's I will acknowledge and not stick my head down in the sand like some dudes.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_200 using Board Express

Sahkolihaa

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Are people seriously getting worked up that their phone isn't perfect? How is something that is mass-produced supposed to be perfect?

Does this 'click' make my phone fall apart? No, it doesn't. So I don't care about it.

tehkei

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If its like the Lumia 900 the screen is held down by a long pin to the left of the sim card, so I would imagine that would give a bit of give if you pressed down hard in the middle top edge of the screen.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine doesn't have the issue, but if someone else has it, he has the right to complain. We paid the same price, so he/she would expect it to be good quality.
I don't understand people that say stop whining. If none of us complained, you would never be getting high build-quality phones.

Anyways, i would exchange it with a new one if it's possible.

Complain to Nokia and exchange the phone then. Not here. This isn't the complaints department, though you would think it was based upon the threads you see every time a new phone is introduced.

larspassic

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
My phone doesn't seem to have this issue, but could this be possibly related to the reports of dust leaking into the front facing camera?

jsgiv

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
My 2 cents...

Had this issue (clicking when pressing the top next to the SIM door) with my first phone (no dust however)...

I returned my first unit due to heat issues, battery, etc. The heat actually caused the top of the phone to discolor.

My new unit has been "perfect" (knock on wood) - no clicks, no discoloration, and while the unit gets warm at times its nowhere near as hot as my first unit.

Only complaint on this one is that the power button is a little loose compared to my first one but I can live with that. :D

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have examined my phone more carefully, and it appears the top of the phone (where the headphone jack is) can be pressed down with noticeable travel. And when the top is pressed down, you can hear the clicking sound and you can also see the plastic gets closer to the glass. Now, if you press the bottom of the phone, then it's rock solid. You don't see any movement, and you don't hear any sound. When I get some spare time today, I'll do a video to show and hopefully hear what's going on.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Complain to Nokia and exchange the phone then. Not here. This isn't the complaints department, though you would think it was based upon the threads you see every time a new phone is introduced.

The tone of the OP, myself, and others who experiencing this behavior with our phones are merely querying other WPCentral users if they are having the same issues. By doing so, we have a better idea if it's isolated to myself and that we can use this post as an informal reference in our conversation with the carrier or Nokia. Your tone so far has been condescending to the OP and others who are having the same issue. We don't expect a perfect phone, but we do expect that a $500-700 phone unibody polycarbonate phone should not click or physically move when the top is pressed. In fact, we confirmed this by other members who are NOT experiencing this issue at all. This implies that there's a potential issue with our phones. This is the intention of this post; to find out if anyone else is having the same issue.

I suppose all the posts about battery issue, bricking, freezing, dust, etc... are complaints, and by your logic, shouldn't be posted here in this Lumia 920 forum. If not, then I ask you, what's the purpose of this forum? So we should only share good stories? Maybe we should get rid of all the stickied posts to battery and bricking issues?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The tone of the OP, myself, and others who experiencing this behavior with our phones are merely querying other WPCentral users if they are having the same issues. By doing so, we have a better idea if it's isolated to myself and that we can use this post as an informal reference in our conversation with the carrier or Nokia. Your tone so far has been condescending to the OP and others who are having the same issue. We don't expect a perfect phone, but we do expect that a $500-700 phone unibody polycarbonate phone should not click or physically move when the top is pressed. In fact, we confirmed this by other members who are NOT experiencing this issue at all. This implies that there's a potential issue with our phones. This is the intention of this post; to find out if anyone else is having the same issue.

I suppose all the posts about battery issue, bricking, freezing, dust, etc... are complaints, and by your logic, shouldn't be posted here in this Lumia 920 forum. If not, then I ask you, what's the purpose of this forum? So we should only share good stories? Maybe we should get rid of all the stickied posts to battery and bricking issues?

R2ou9.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12