Attention! Possible Lumia 920 design defect

wp8nyc

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
had the "creaking sound" issue on the top left and bottom left of phone. Got it replaced a few weeks ago and the new one feels so much more solid, and even lighter (I know it cant be lighter but for some odd reason it just feels like it is) If your having this issue get it replaced you'll be much happier.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
didn't have any problems with my black 920 for 2 weeks (checked my phone after first posts about this appeared, yes OCD). Only now the clicking started to appear. When I pull my phone out of the belt case with one finger on the top of the phone I can "feel" the click. Checked it more thoroughly and it's the same what others have observed. Right between sim card tray (where the hole is) and screen is an area that is slightly flexing and making the click. Will keep observing this and see whether it gets worse. No other problems, e.g. there is no visible gap or flexing that I can see as shown in the video.
Not complaining. Just observing and reporting that this might be something that can evolve over time....Certainly something Nokia needs to work on in the design of the PC shell.

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
After receiving my second 920, I discovered this problem immediately. I returned my first Lumia due to broken flash. Anyways, this clicking on the top of the 920 has disappeared. I'm thinking that something just needed to click into place. I'm happy now with my second Lumia!

theta orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
That's a bummer for those affected. I put mine in a case moments after buying it about three weeks ago and didn't notice any creaks then. I did notice that the glass was amazingly flush with the rest of the body when I bought it.

IMG_1219_edited-1.jpg

IMG_1220_edited-1.jpg

Two pics of detail around affected area. I didn't notice before hand and sure not gonna take the case off to look for it.

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I know a 100% sure that my 920 didn't creak the first 2 weeks. Last week I started noticing it between the SIM tray and the screen and also on the right bottom (just left from the screw). Because of the creaking on the bottom right I also noticed light leaking right from the search key between that very small gap. I was not happy with that at all! But today is the first really cold day of the year (with light snow) and as of today the creaking has stopped completely on the top and on the bottom. Might it be possible that the creaking starts when your phone overheated? And might it go away when it gets really cold? Time will tell, but I will try it out :)

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
My phone has become creaky as well. I can press in around the speakers at the bottom. I'm really not sure if I'm being too picky or what. I'm past the return time now.

I also noticed what appeared to be moisture build up around the ear piece this weekend. Both my wife's white and my black one had the issue. It eventually faded away.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Just noticed that the creaking goes away when I shake the phone with top downward with a sudden stop. Apparently that seats whatever loosened. Not sure for how long...

EG8196

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I am on my 7th 920, and it has the clicking noise too, but this time, the noise is from the right speaker at the bottom.

On my first to 6th 920, they all had the click noise

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
LOL, 7th Nokia? Are you for real? What happened to the first 6? And I guess many people would've given up with the 3rd.

DanBB1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I am on my 7th 920, and it has the clicking noise too, but this time, the noise is from the right speaker at the bottom.

WTF? 7th? No wonder Lumia 920 is constantly out of stock. My phone clicks too when I put my ear next to it and shake it. It comes from the floating lense I assume, atleast thats what it sounds like. I sure would like to hear what was wrong with the first six Lumia 920s.

I'm on my first. One forced reboot few hours after I bought it(installing bunch of stuff and started a game), but that was expected. It has worked without any problems since. No reboots since, very good battery life and I expect it to get even better.

*EDIT* Confirmed. The floating lense does click when not in camera mode. I'm not sure if that is the same clicking sound others are talking about on this post, tho. When I put in camera mode I hear nothing, and as soon as I exit the camera app, I can hear clicking from the floating lense when I shake the phone. It's just how the floating lense works..

Last edited:

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site

Did it ever occur to you on the first six phones that maybe it was supposed to make that click sound? If 1 in 7 doesn't make the sound I'd say it's that one that is defective. The one that doesn't make the click sound apparently has something stuck inside of it that isn't supposed to be stuck. You've returned 6 phones in order to get a defective one. Nice.

beej

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Wow, yeah, that's a lot of replacements--kudos to you for sticking with it, but man, I wonder of other, less-discerning people would have been happy with one of those defective ones? Maybe the 8th device will work for you? Hope so!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

Where are you from? Obviously not the states. It's common in the states (AT&T at least) that they cut you off after 4 returns. When you go to get your 5th, they tell you to select a diferent phone, if you don't like any of the other phones, they cancel your contract.

MOPHR3AK

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought my 920 here in Canada from Rogers... it had the same problem.

9 Days later, got my mine swapped for a new one. Rogers is indeed sending these back to Nokia as Defective. The early builds apparently have this problem and i was not the first at my dealer to get it swapped due to this defect.

For those that care about the build quality of there phone... go get it done and get your dealer to swap it for you.

If you can live with your "clicking", keep it to yourself, nobody cares... go troll somewhere else.

EG8196

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Where are you from? Obviously not the states. It's common in the states (AT&T at least) that they cut you off after 4 returns. When you go to get your 5th, they tell you to select a diferent phone, if you don't like any of the other phones, they cancel your contract.
1st dent out of box
2nd op issue
3rd dead pixel
4th dead pixel
5th scratches out of box
6th glass ding out of box

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, that was an eye opener. Went to att store with the idea to exchange the Lumia 920, because of creaking at top and rattling on vibrate. No problem the very helpful att clerk said. Mind checking some of the phones we have here? Sure, and what do you know, all 5 models we tried had the rattling and three of the phones (black) had a gap and a noticeable click at the top. Much worse than the creak on mine. None of the colored phones had this issue. I will wait with exchange until this is ironed out and live with the minor issues for now.

Last edited:

Dex Da Rex

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I noticed this as well when I pressed hard on the top right corner of my phone. I am guessing its just the way the phone part fits into the unibody. I am going to not press it much and try to ignore it. Hopefully they fix a lot of these defects for future lumia owners.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos