I've read this thread regarding using your 920 with Straight Talk, and that's great. I've also read this thread that talks about not activating your ATT plan while purchasing a month-to-month phone from ATT.

I'm currently on T-Mobile, and since I don't have much experience with ST (or ATT for that matter), I wanted to run this by folks and see if it makes sense. This is what I'm planning on doing:

1. Purchase ST micro-sim ($10)
    2. Purchase m2m 920 from ATT ($450) - includes free charging plate. Forces me to get a plan, choose random option that meets their requirements
    3. Transfer existing TMO number to ST sim card and get plan ($45)
    4. Use 920 with new ST plan and old TMO number
    5. Call ATT to cancel plan (or, as suggested in the thread, do not activate ATT sim)

I went to an ATT store earlier today to get a m2m phone, but they said they will only sell non-plan phones after 90 days, so the only options I'm left with are online (which gives me the charging plate, but goes through this hassle of getting a plan) or another place like Microsoft Store (which has the downside of being $499 and no plate).

Before going through with this, I wanted to confirm that:

1. I can transfer my TMO number to my ST sim while ignoring the ATT sim
    2. I don't have to pay for the ATT plan or activation crap since I'm really only interested in the device

Thanks in advance for your help!
    11-25-2012 02:03 AM
    The MS store SHOULD price match to $450. They also have $25 off vouchers just for trying the Windows Phone challenge. For me, they also price matched the charging plate, however I did this all on contract. I know they were price matching at $450 for people off contract though.
    cosminn likes this.
    11-25-2012 02:12 AM
    The MS store SHOULD price match to $450. They also have $25 off vouchers just for trying the Windows Phone challenge. For me, they also price matched the charging plate, however I did this all on contract. I know they were price matching at $450 for people off contract though.
    Good to know, I was thinking of dropping by anyways since it's not that far from me. Thanks for the tip!
    11-25-2012 02:13 AM
    I'm new to this whole thing too. My Verizon contract just expired so I'm trying to switch over to Straight talk and the 920. So hypothetically, if I never touch the AT&T sim card, I won't be charged for activation or that stupid required service plan? I have my Straight talk sim sitting in front of me and I just ordered the red 920 online an hour ago or so...hopefully everything goes smoothly :)
    11-26-2012 12:39 PM