MKV play back on Lumia 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So I got my new phone yesterday and I am loving it apart from the hoops I am having to jump through to get music and video on to the device.

I know until some dev comes up with a app to play back mkv files we will have to convert them or at least change the container. So I used mkv convert which works fine on videos for my Surface but on the Nokia I get a codec error. So I tried put these on the phone using the Nokia convert option but that is actually converting the file which is far too long and not not a ideal work around. Anyone have any suggestion on changing the wrapper around the mkv file so it plays back as a mp4?

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I only really had a quick play with Handbrake but that to tried to convert the file rather change the container (maybe I need to look again). On my Surface I can use a app called MKV Converter and it takes about 30 seconds to convert a TV show but the same app doesn't seem to work on the Lumia.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried using the windows phone app (beta) to sync once the files are converted.

I generally don't watch the same content on my tv AND phone, so I have been using the smaller .avi files for my phone and the larger .mkv files for consumption on my TV.

Hopefully we'll get a VLC-like app soon and all this will be behind us.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well this is just odd the ones I converted for my surface actually do work on the Lumia as well must be something about the files I tried today.

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Something to think about:

I do not have a 920, but i have an 8x - and my friend here at work has a 920. We both have large media libraries. This of course wont work for local media on the device. But we have been using Plex for quite some time and its glorious. Transcodes 1080p MKV on the fly. Your server of course has to be on and running at all times at the house. Bust most peoples Desktop PCs do that anyway. I can see where it would be a problem for someone that didnt have unlimited data or wifi access. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos