Headphones

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a good pair of headphones (with a mic) for my Lumia 920 - I cannot stand the "in-ear" headphones that are shipped with and are in shops everywhere.

I bought some Apple Earpods which are amazingly comfortable however the microphone and volume rocker doesn't work with the Lumia (no surprise) but that being said they're really comfortable and will do until I find a good pair that are compatible.

If anyone has any suggestions for some I'd love to hear them (NPI).

Thanks!

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine didn't come with standard headphones o.0

Anyways, can you get the Nokia free headphones offer?

Otherwise, I guess it depends on whether or not you want over ears or in ears. That's, and newer Sony phones use the apple layout, just as a heads up.

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah mine came with a black set of headphones - the ones that go "all the way" into your ear and I find them very uncomfortable. I'm in the UK, mind.

Just a set with a mic that works and doesn't go "all the way" into your ear is all I'm after really. Not too fussed on brand and I suppose I could be swayed on price if they're good enough!

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Nah I mean I want headphones, not a headset - it's hard to explain due to the double meaning of headphones so I'll try some images;

Here are what I would call "in-ear head/earphones";
in-ear-controller.jpg

And here are what I would call regular head/earphones (the Apple EarPods, which are very comfortable btw!);
apple-earpods-01.jpg

I can't wear the first type as they are very uncomfortable and make me feel dizzy so I'm looking for a pair of the second type that are of decent quality and are compatible (microphone) with the Lumia 920.

Last edited:

Leo Kaukidi

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Jealy - I am a little confused, so you want a pair that is not earbuds ( anything going deep into your ear ) but you want a pair that has the apple design ( which is essentially the old sony / coby style wrapped in a different way ) ?

I hate to say it but if you are looking for headphones that go into the ear that don't have the extended bud with a rubber tip you might be out of luck. Most of them even the very high end 500$ + pairs are all with the rubber tips that go into the ear.

This is as close as you will get : Bose IE2 Headphones - Audio Headphones - Bose Headsets and Headphones

If you don't mind the over the ear headphones, you can do the nokia purity monster, they work well and you can listen to music on them.
Buy Nokia Purity by Monster Premium On-Ear Headset - scratch resistant, built for comfort, call-handling and music - Microsoft Store Online

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not too fussed if it has the newer Apple EarPod design or not I'm just unable to use the ones with the rubber on that go deep into the ear. As mentioned they make me feel dizzy and that's not good when I wish to use them whilst on my motorcycle! This also rules out over the ear headsets unfortunately!

The Bose ones look interesting and as a brand I know them to be good. I'll check them out.

Thanks for the help btw.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
These are decent, I've been using them for a while. Some quirks though. My dad claims the bass is less, but I think they're slightly larger than the Apple iPhone 4 earbuds so it doesn't get as deep to give that louder bass. The mic and controls are at the wire junction so its further along the cord than midway like it is on Apple's, it still picks up pretty well. The good thing is, it does work, and you do have volume control, and they're pretty darn cheap.
Amazon.com: HTC Stereo Headset for HTC EVO 4G (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Your options are going to be pretty limited for what you want. I am not exactly sure what Nokia does differently, but the volume rocker and mic line in are different somehow. Have you looked into Nokia purity line at all?

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
These are decent, I've been using them for a while. Some quirks though. My dad claims the bass is less, but I think they're slightly larger than the Apple iPhone 4 earbuds so it doesn't get as deep to give that louder bass. The mic and controls are at the wire junction so its further along the cord than midway like it is on Apple's, it still picks up pretty well. The good thing is, it does work, and you do have volume control, and they're pretty darn cheap.
Amazon.com: HTC Stereo Headset for HTC EVO 4G (Black): Cell Phones & Accessories
Hmm, I'll check those out and order a pair see how they are. Thanks!

Your options are going to be pretty limited for what you want. I am not exactly sure what Nokia does differently, but the volume rocker and mic line in are different somehow. Have you looked into Nokia purity line at all?
It seems the Nokia purity line are all either the ones that feel like they go halfway into your brain or the over-ear headphones.

Seems like I'm a very low % of people who can't use the "in-ear" headphones :/

kebnt

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
If you are fortunate enough to have a MS store near you, try to get them to get you one of the vouchers for the meet your match challenge if you already have a Lumia 920. I found that they were willing to give them to me pretty freely (I was intending to use one on the in-ear headphones and another one to get the Assure plan if I decide to get the phone again from them).

zedmartinez

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, the headphones with built-in controls are called headsets, so it's actually headset that has dual meanings. The simple rule of thumb on WP is that it has to be made either for WP directly (Nokia Purity, Samsung tip-ins), or for non-Galaxy Androids. If it says "iPhone compatible" then the mic and controls won't work, end story. I only know of four pairs that really work with the WPs that are any good, and three of them are the in-ear monitor tpye. personally, I think if you hate earbuds you just have't tried a proper high-ed IEM with Comply foam tips, they fit like earplugs ad once the foam warms up you can't feel them. But that's me. Anyway, I know the HTC co-branded urbeats that were made for the One series Androids work, because I use them myself. The Nokia Purity series also works, and comes in over-the-ear or IEM, as mentioned by soemone else. Then, there's the Klipsch S4a IEMs, but they're only a single button. I think I may have seen some Bose for Android, but I can't remember. Anyway, that's the rule of thumb is they have to be for Android, but not expressly for the Galaxy series, as some of those used the opposite post order as the HTC/Nokias. But, all the iPhone ones use a different resistance for the mic and controls and they won't work.

Enever

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the C5 (amazing headphones) but all Bowers stuff is designed for apple. so the inline remotes do not work ( mine dont work)

MIKEVCAMPBELL

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
zedmartinez hit it on the head. I settled on the Urbeats HTC headset because it was the only headset that I could find with volume control that would work with The Lumia 920. I bought a pair of Bose headphones for Android and they worked, but like the Klipsch they only had a single button for answering calls. At first I wanted to buy a cheaper pair because I am pretty hard on them. I found a pair of Phillips, Skullcandy, and Frogz that were compatible but they all only had a single button. I spent an extra $50 for volume control. The Beats come with 6 or so styles of ear pieces so its easy to find one that fits well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb