a new camera glitch . help

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok I'm really getting tired of this phone. Now whenever I take a photo in pitch blackness or very lowlight my screen flashes completely white and my picture is completely dark. I was trying to do that darkness test that Nokia did with the vase. This is my second phone and this just started happening 5 minutes ago. I turned it off and back on . Wtf am I crazy ot I'd this thing supposed to take pictures in blackness with the flash off?

update.

ok i have my original launch 920 ( havent returned it yet) and my replacement. ive never noticed this before but in low light both phones are doing the exact same thing and i dont knkowif im going crazy or what but the screens flash white after the shot. im gonna try and record it happen. Does anyone elses phones do this?

Last edited:

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
is this normal? the pictures were taken on my new replacement phone and the video was taken with my launch 920 that has a crap battery. but both phones are doing this

Last edited:

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
There has to be some light. I don't think any camera can produce an image in complete darkness. Wtf?

cant tell in the video but my room light was on very low , i was trying to do this Camera Battle Vid: Samsung Galaxy SIII vs Nokia Lumia 920 - YouTube

i just dont know why the screen flashed white in a very lowlight situation on both 920's. out side under streat lights it doesnt do it or in normal lighting but when im in a very dark room "almost darkness" it happens on night scene.maybe its not a glitch,maybe its supposed to happen . i dunno .

ibuyufo

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Your flash is off. The flash that you see is the focus assist light. I think you still need flash to try to take picture in full darkness. I just watched the video and their flash is off too. I don't know if they have some type of infrared light in the box.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
There is a misunderstanding about how the Lumia takes pictures in the dark (or, rather any camera for that matter). Simply put, you need light to be able to take a picture. Whether that light is artificially produced by the device, or some other light source, there needs to be light. A digital picture is literally the capturing of light and saving what is captured in a digital format. The camera in the Lumia is really efficient at using the light that is available to it; much more efficient than really any other smart phone camera on the market. That said, you still need light. If it is pitch dark in your room (and this includes a completely dark room with some light coming from your desk clock or some such) you are not going to have enough light in the room to take pictures with this camera. It's that simple. The funny thing is, the camera isn't even advertised as being able to take photos in complete blackness. It is advertised as taking very good low light photos. And low light does not equal NO light.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes there might be a bug. Turn on Night mode and Flash or Auto Flash, but turn off Assist Light. The screen flashes white after a shot. It doesn't have this problem with Assist Light On.

ibuyufo

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes there might be a bug. Turn on Night mode and Flash or Auto Flash, but turn off Assist Light. The screen flashes white after a shot.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but when I set to night mode with focus assist off and everything to auto while using flash I am still able to take a picture just fine. No white flashing screen.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but when I set to night mode with focus assist off and everything to auto while using flash I am still able to take a picture just fine. No white flashing screen.

Mine doesn't do that anymore after a reset in the Photo settings, but I notice it flashes twice before a shot lol. I guess that is normal.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What you see in the video is impressive, but it's sort of cheat. Cameras need information (light) in order to make proper adjustments to the sensor before shooting and in-camera processing software to bring out detail after shooting to best display each image. The Nokia is using its auto-assist lamp to illuminate the vase so the sensor can properly set the exposure and shutter speed to capture as much detail in the image as possible. The auto-assist lamp is pretty weak, so in order to recreate what you see in that video, you need to get close to your subject (not too close, maybe 6-8" away). The in-camera processing software then takes the data based on the initial readings with the lamp on and brings out portions of the photo that it knows are there, but you can't necessarily see yet (that's where the magic brightness change comes in). The Samsung has no auto-assist lamp, so it's literally shooting in the dark, and more or less saying "looks like there's no other information here, so let's get the best photo of a black square that we can". If the S3 had an auto-assist lamp (or if the Nokia's were turned off), the playing field would be a lot more even. The Nokia's lens is a bit better and it has Optical Image Stabilization to some degree which helps with shake (and therefore blur). I suspect the sensor is also a bit better, but not MUCH better the way the Pureview 808 or a higher-end dedicated camera with a larger sensor is.

I was able to recreate the white screen flashing with the flash off, auto-assist off, night mode on and in a very dark room. It might be the auto exposure quickly trying to adjust, or it could just be a programming glitch. Either way it doesn't seem to affect anything, and it's not like I'd be shooting in those conditions with this phone with no flash anyway.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I understand a way sensor works and thank you for responding. I don't understand why not all 920 s do it. My brother bought a white one over the weekend and his doesn't flash white but my 2 cyans that were purchased on 11/7 and 11/16 both do it.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wtf am I crazy ot I'd this thing supposed to take pictures in blackness with the flash off?

I thought when you said that, you didn't actually know why the camera couldn't take a photo in a room with the lights off and no flash. I think that's what several of us were responding to.

Can't really help with the screen flashing white thing, except to say that mine does it too. It doesn't appear to affect the outcome of the photos or hurt the experience in any way, so I wouldn't worry about it. It'll probably be fixed in a firmware update at some point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05