Returned My Lumia 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Well if their tablets and phones stay in the sub 10% market share range, not likely.

It's not all about the tablets and phones... it's about the PCs too... and THOSE are at the top of the marketshare. It's tough to make a judegement about their tablet marketshare though, bud. They have been out for... a month.

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Mine is going back tonight. Although I have experienced 3 lock ups requiring reboots in the last 12 days, I have none of the other problems. My unit is rock solid, and a pure joy to use. I do feel that many of the software issues will be addressed in the coming months, and would be willing to "beta test" this platform, if it weren't for the one major fly in the ointment.

No matter what I try, the volume in my headphones and on my Bluetooth headset is just to low. I have to crank it to 30, and I still can't here the caller when I am driving. When I take it off of bluetooth and hold up the phone the volume is fine. I even tried a Jabra wired headset, no good, even a different brand BT headset (tried both Samsung and Jawbone), the volume is just too low. And listening to tunes? Well 30 is about where I would start for volume, not cap it.

Everything else is great, I'm returning it and maybe trying a 8x if they have one, if not, I will just go back to my old iPhone 4 and wait.

If you drive a soft top jeep or Subaru you should really lower your expectations.lol

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
It's not all about the tablets and phones... it's about the PCs too... and THOSE are at the top of the marketshare. It's tough to make a judegement about their tablet marketshare though, bud. They have been out for... a month.

The numbers are out there, even Balmer himself said they won't meet projections and that sales were "modest", which is code for "we might have F'd this one up".

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
The numbers are out there, even Balmer himself said they won't meet projections and that sales were "modest", which is code for "we might have F'd this one up".

How can numbers be out there for a one month old device? We have no idea how well it is going to do in this holiday season, let alone the future. Last I checked, they were having trouble keeping the base model on the shelves...

I don't mean to argue, but calling the success of a tablet 30 days after launch is just way too premature. When all is said and done, you may very well be right. But we can't really say until we know more for sure.

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
How can numbers be out there for a one month old device? We have no idea how well it is going to do in this holiday season, let alone the future. Last I checked, they were having trouble keeping the base model on the shelves...

I don't mean to argue, but calling the success of a tablet 30 days after launch is just way too premature. When all is said and done, you may very well be right. But we can't really say until we know more for sure.

All he reports are bleak. Even the early projections for black Friday It doesn't help that you can only buy it online or in one of their scarce stores. That is a MS distribution issue that could very well shoot themselves in the foot with.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
All he reports are bleak. Even the early projections for black Friday It doesn't help that you can only buy it online or in one of their scarce stores. That is a MS distribution issue that could very well shoot themselves in the foot with.

Aha! But you see, that is the thing. If all if their stores sell wonderfully well, that would, in turn, allow for increasing the number of stores, and that is what we were talking about in the first place (a low number of stores). So while nationwide sales numbers might be low, they still may be great on a store basis. At my location, they were giving away cases for the first 100 buyers. They opened at 12, I was there at 1. Gone... Anyway, I am going to wait until we have official numbers. We should only have two months to go. I don't like to play the Doom and Gloom game until there is actual evidence and reason to do so.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
My motive for the thread is to raise (more) awareness of quality issues. Seeing as there is 15+ page sticky thread on Lumia 920 defects,

Seeing as there is a 15+ page thread, you could have just posted this there instead of making yet another pointless "I'm returning my Lumia" thread.

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Aha! But you see, that is the thing. If all if their stores sell wonderfully well, that would, in turn, allow for increasing the number of stores, and that is what we were talking about in the first place (a low number of stores). Anyway, I am going to wait until we have official numbers. We should only have two months to go. I don't like to play the Doom and Gloom game until there is actual evidence and reason to do so.

You would need to see numbers in the couple of millions to warrant throwing up handfuls of brick and mortar shops. 500K ain't gonna do it.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
True, but that can also be looked at as simple damage control. "Our sales are sh!t, buy our stocks!" just doesn't sound good. It can go either way really, depending on how you choose to interpret it.

The Surface wasn't meant to be a huge seller. That's why it's only available through the MS store. It's there to create hype.

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
If you got an Iphone 5 without issues, then you got lucky. one of my sisters is on her 3rd Iphone5, my other family member is on their 2nd, and another family member is on her 2nd. Talk about quality control issues. But yes, You clearly had a defective phone, as i experience none of the issues you're having, but it is what it is and I hope it works out for you.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So to start off, I really really really wanted to like this phone. I've had an iPhone for years and wanted something new. Knew I didn't want an android, as android is just a blatant rip off of ios. I waited months for the release of this phone. I bought it November 10th. First day was great. Unfortunately, it was all down hill from there.

List of things wrong:
1. Phone locks up after 10min+ phonecalls
2. Proximity sensor faulty after a week. No way to hang up a phone call. I bought a PHONE. I would expect that the PHONE would work even if anything else didn't.
3. Blurry camera if I was lucky. Sometimes my "picture" was just a blank green screen.
4. Random Reboots.

As if those weren't enough reasons already.
5. When I went to plug headphones in for the first time, the connection was loose! It's like the headphone jack is sized wrong!

At that point I was tired of making excuses for this phone. Saturday I went back to ATT, paid the $35 that I felt was robbed from me, and bought an iPhone 5. Nothing new, but at least it does what it advertises to do. I would have swapped it out, but seeing as it was the 14th day, I couldn't to risk a new Lumia 920 only lasting 2 weeks.

Good luck with your phones guys, I hope they (finally) get the bugs worked so that it at least functions as a basic phone. More importantly, good luck to you,Nokia. You are going to need it.

You should go and read the posts about the iPhone 5 issues. Freeze ups, poor call quality, build issues, battery life, and let's not forget the new iFleeceU adapter that has been analyzed and shown the only thing it appears to have been designed for is to shake down iPhone users for more money.

But let's face it, more than likely you are a troll. You said you have been an iPhone user for years and wanted something new. I don't know about you, but when I have something I really like I feel no need to jump. So either you are a troll, or you think there are significant issues with the iPhone and couldn't stand how bad it was.

If the latter is true, maybe you should give Android a try. It's not worth staying with iPhone if you think it's so crappy.

st3mpy

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Why did I leave iOS? As far as functionality goes, no reason really. iOS is great, it just works. Yes the Maps suck, but that's just one program that is easily replaced with another. The reason I wanted a new phone to begin with is because my 4 has a cracked screen. I'm capable of replacing the screen (I replaced the screen on my gf's 4S), but since the Lumia was coming out I thought I would wait. I liked the Lumia because of the new OS, the supposedly awesome camera (photography is a hobby of mine), and honestly I wanted to help Nokia get back in the game. I was bored with iOS. It's based (visually) on OS X, which is over 10 years old now.

So anyways, turns out I got a dud. Originally I was going to return the phone and just repair my 4 for $30 bucks. Unfortunately the Lumia's screen size and speed spoiled me. My 4 looks tiny and feels slow. Ok then, I'll pinch my nose and buy the 5. That's what I did. So far so good. Another reason I bought the 5 is because after using the 4 again, I realized that I prefer the narrower overall dimensions. It feels better in my pocket.

As far as Android goes, I just feel that it is a kludge. It's sluggish. Whenever I say that, people ask "Well are you on Pancake or Buttermilk Biscuit?". To me, the OS shouldn't have to be overhauled multiple times a year.

In case you can't tell, I treat my phones as an appliance. I want to get in and get out so I can continue doing what ever it is I'm doing.

If that seems trollish to anybody, then so be it. I thought I would share my experiences. That's what discussion boards are for.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Wait, you wanted to help Nokia get back into the game? Exactly how were you doing that by buying a Lumia, returning it and complaining about it to a Windows Phone forum on the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo