12-21-2012 09:35 AM
149 ... 456
tools
    I am not sure if this is true. Do you have link to the SDK suggesting it is?
    Swear I came across that while digging through Nokia's dev site two weeks ago, but I can't seem to find it now :/ I'll keep looking.

*edit* - Nope. Either it was removed, or I was looking at something else. Sorry to get your hopes up.
    Last edited by cameradork; 12-13-2012 at 03:09 PM.
    12-13-2012 02:51 PM
    Hi all,

May be I am a bit late to join discussion but I got my Lumia 920 for two weeks ago and I found this forum today. I am owner of Nokia N8 as well, two year old symbian phone and I was happy to "upgrade" to better phone. However I am not happy with camera. I have attached crop of same motiv shot with old N8 and Lumia 920. As you can see Lumia 920 is not near of N8. In this case both images are "auto".
    This is link to gsm arena comparison test. Point that green rectangle on girls eyes.
    Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com

Br
    Barareklam
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    12-16-2012 02:12 PM
    12-17-2012 06:42 PM
    Hi
    Your N8 has a bigger image sensor, better optics, and most likely better jpeg processing.. There is no way the 920 will produce a better result. It will however give you better performance at night (handheld) thanks to the OIS system. If you bring a tripod in the mix... I am not sure... if you put the N8 in night mode you might still get a better photograph.

The 920 shoots at 1.4 microns @ 8Mpix, the N8 shoots at 1.75 @ 12Mpix ... big difference.
    cameradork likes this.
    12-17-2012 07:20 PM
    Hi all,

May be I am a bit late to join discussion but I got my Lumia 920 for two weeks ago and I found this forum today. I am owner of Nokia N8 as well, two year old symbian phone and I was happy to "upgrade" to better phone. However I am not happy with camera. I have attached crop of same motiv shot with old N8 and Lumia 920. As you can see Lumia 920 is not near of N8. In this case both images are "auto".
    This is link to gsm arena comparison test. Point that green rectangle on girls eyes.
    Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com

Br
    Barareklam
    Again, if you're doing these kinds of tests on a phone and being disappointed and whatnot (which you'll invariably be), you're using the wrong tool for the job. Get a camera and a lens or two that you like, and then go out and enjoy shooting without limitations and just use your phone for quick documentation. You'll be much happier in the end.
    12-18-2012 10:12 AM
    12-18-2012 08:24 PM
    ^indeed... Like I said from the start, Nokia know what they are doing.. they just need some time with the new platform.

What I want to see is night shots as well... I am really curious if they had to balance the two out, or was a completely separate issue. What I mean is does the phone go into
    "day mode" and "night mode" automatically, because the jpeg processing in night mode is probably different, and I think what was happening is that they were using that same processing for the daytime photos, and we were getting the blur.
    cameradork likes this.
    12-18-2012 08:40 PM
    So, is everyone in the US and Canada who was disappointed with the camera okay with it now that you got the Portico update? I've noticed a definite difference in sharpness. Also, can you name another manufacturer that worked that quickly to fix an issue like this? It took Motorola nine months to make it so push email from an Exchange Server worked on my Droid 2 Global - a bug that only affected Motorola devices because their crapware was interfering with basic Android operation.

SOOC, Full Auto, uploaded directly to Skydrive and posted here. Now relax and enjoy taking some photos!

wp_20121220_033.jpg
    KQ17, Raduc78 and barareklam like this.
    12-20-2012 11:14 AM
    While I'm really glad that Nokia worked on a fix, I'm extremely annoyed that EU people (even those who got the factory unlocked phone) won't see the fix until Feb 2013 :(
    12-20-2012 11:31 AM
    While I'm really glad that Nokia worked on a fix, I'm extremely annoyed that EU people (even those who got the factory unlocked phone) won't see the fix until Feb 2013 :(
    Navifirm is your best bet: Lumia 820 European Version Update Appears on Navifirm : My Nokia Blog
    12-20-2012 12:11 PM
    So, is everyone in the US and Canada who was disappointed with the camera okay with it now that you got the Portico update? I've noticed a definite difference in sharpness. Also, can you name another manufacturer that worked that quickly to fix an issue like this? It took Motorola nine months to make it so push email from an Exchange Server worked on my Droid 2 Global - a bug that only affected Motorola devices because their crapware was interfering with basic Android operation.

SOOC, Full Auto, uploaded directly to Skydrive and posted here. Now relax and enjoy taking some photos!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20121220_033.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	986.6 KB 
ID:	25186
    Wow... I've not managed to take anything in the same realm as that photo with my Lumia 920... I've been trying and trying and failing... Even with the camera update all my photos are extremely unsharp and just terrible looking. I keep going back to my Droid Incredible as a reference and the pictures it takes look far better to me. There must be something I'm missing, and I hope that's the case. I'd really love to love this camera but right now it just isn't working for me...

I've run through about every combination of settings and always use on screen tap to focus. No luck...
    12-20-2012 01:44 PM
    I've run through about every combination of settings and always use on screen tap to focus. No luck...
    You could have a hardware issue... it is possible.
    12-20-2012 02:30 PM
    The only thing that annoys me after the upgrade is that in Auto settings, it wont focus near the camera. You have to select Macro for it. The rest is much better.
    12-20-2012 02:43 PM
    Where is this macro setting?
    12-20-2012 02:58 PM
    Camera settings -> Scenes -> Macro
    12-20-2012 03:07 PM
    I have auto, Close-up, Night, Night Portrait, Sports and backlight
    12-20-2012 03:19 PM
    It's Close-up then. I don't use my phone in English. :\
    12-20-2012 03:24 PM
    Oooooh, kk! Thanks!
    12-20-2012 03:25 PM
    Wow... I've not managed to take anything in the same realm as that photo with my Lumia 920... I've been trying and trying and failing... Even with the camera update all my photos are extremely unsharp and just terrible looking. I keep going back to my Droid Incredible as a reference and the pictures it takes look far better to me. There must be something I'm missing, and I hope that's the case. I'd really love to love this camera but right now it just isn't working for me...

I agree with johninsj - bring it to the store and shoot side-by-side with the display model there. You'll know right away if it's a hardware problem. If so, there's a good chance they'll replace it for you. Make sure you hit "Reset settings" on both cameras for a fair comparison.

Other settings:
    Settings->Applications->photos+videos->Auto Upload: SkyDrive-> Photos: Choose Best quality (needs Wi-Fi)
    SkyDrive App -> three dots ->Settings -> Photo upload size: Choose "original", Photo download size: Choose "original"

Camera:
    If you're using the hard button, make sure you hold it half way until it achieve focus lock, and then press the rest of the way to snap. Take two or three pics: sometimes one or two will be blurry if the subject is moving
    If you don't have luck w/ the hard button, try tapping the screen to take the photo. Brace the phone as best as you can to avoid shake.
    12-20-2012 03:27 PM

Other settings:
    Settings->Applications->photos+videos->Auto Upload: SkyDrive-> Photos: Choose Best quality (needs Wi-Fi)
    SkyDrive App -> three dots ->Settings -> Photo upload size: Choose "original", Photo download size: Choose "original"
    Just a side-note, you don't have to use auto-upload or tick that setting to get best quality. If you manually "Save to Skydrive" from the camera or the pictures hub it will always upload in best quality. You don't even need Wi-Fi using that method...over air you still get the same quality.
    12-20-2012 03:35 PM
    Here's a sample link of a picture that I took with my 920 last night. Its the Rockefeller center in new York. The picture is awesome. https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...JA1A1-8ve85EOQ
    12-20-2012 03:57 PM
    12-20-2012 04:03 PM
    Here is review of Sony NEX-6 camera Sony NEX-6 review: can a pocket-sized camera finally kill your DSLR? | The Verge

It costs 755€ and when i look those sample shot those are not sharp at all. Honestly some Lumia 920 photos look far better.
    12-20-2012 05:13 PM
    Here is review of Sony NEX-6 camera Sony NEX-6 review: can a pocket-sized camera finally kill your DSLR? | The Verge

It costs 755€ and when i look those sample shot those are not sharp at all. Honestly some Lumia 920 photos look far better.
    I really don't want to derail the nature of this thread, but immagonna :) The Lumia 920 has the best camera I've seen in a phone (aside from the 808), but it's not a dedicated camera. I think it's comparisons like this that cause people (like OP here) to be disappointed in the camera in the phone when they get it and start doing side-by-side 1:1 crops and other pixel-peeping tests that end up sucking all the enjoyment out of photography and leaving them unhappy before they even start getting any meaningful pics out of it.

If you must do a comparison, you can't draw any conclusions until you have both devices side-by-side shooting the same subjects in the same conditions. I'd be willing to bet that any of the night shots with moving subjects would be an abstract mess on the 920 where the NEX will either stop them or produce a nice artistic blur. The corner sharpness is better with the NEX, and there's a lot less noise in the higher ISO shots (night), and this is just with the craptastic kit zoom, mind you - if you put a 24mm FFE f/2 on that camera, there would be no comparison at all. If you really want to keep comparing it to the kit zoom, try zooming with the Nokia. Try stopping it down to f/22, or f/11, or f/anything that's not 2.0 to get more DoF in your shot. Try shooting RAW so you can have a lossless editing system.

The camera in the 920 is fantastic for a phone. I love shooting with it, but it's not replacing my camera any time soon - it's going to happily co-exist with it, both being used in different situations for different purposes, but if you want to be happy with either device, don't compare them. Different tools for different jobs.
    Last edited by cameradork; 12-21-2012 at 02:48 PM.
    Pete C likes this.
    12-21-2012 09:35 AM
149 ... 456