Disappointed with the camera

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wow... I've not managed to take anything in the same realm as that photo with my Lumia 920... I've been trying and trying and failing... Even with the camera update all my photos are extremely unsharp and just terrible looking. I keep going back to my Droid Incredible as a reference and the pictures it takes look far better to me. There must be something I'm missing, and I hope that's the case. I'd really love to love this camera but right now it just isn't working for me...

I've run through about every combination of settings and always use on screen tap to focus. No luck...

I agree with johninsj - bring it to the store and shoot side-by-side with the display model there. You'll know right away if it's a hardware problem. If so, there's a good chance they'll replace it for you. Make sure you hit "Reset settings" on both cameras for a fair comparison.

Other settings:
Settings->Applications->photos+videos->Auto Upload: SkyDrive-> Photos: Choose Best quality (needs Wi-Fi)
SkyDrive App -> three dots ->Settings -> Photo upload size: Choose "original", Photo download size: Choose "original"

Camera:
If you're using the hard button, make sure you hold it half way until it achieve focus lock, and then press the rest of the way to snap. Take two or three pics: sometimes one or two will be blurry if the subject is moving
If you don't have luck w/ the hard button, try tapping the screen to take the photo. Brace the phone as best as you can to avoid shake.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Other settings:
Settings->Applications->photos+videos->Auto Upload: SkyDrive-> Photos: Choose Best quality (needs Wi-Fi)
SkyDrive App -> three dots ->Settings -> Photo upload size: Choose "original", Photo download size: Choose "original"

Just a side-note, you don't have to use auto-upload or tick that setting to get best quality. If you manually "Save to Skydrive" from the camera or the pictures hub it will always upload in best quality. You don't even need Wi-Fi using that method...over air you still get the same quality.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here is review of Sony NEX-6 camera Sony NEX-6 review: can a pocket-sized camera finally kill your DSLR? | The Verge

It costs 755€ and when i look those sample shot those are not sharp at all. Honestly some Lumia 920 photos look far better.

I really don't want to derail the nature of this thread, but immagonna :) The Lumia 920 has the best camera I've seen in a phone (aside from the 808), but it's not a dedicated camera. I think it's comparisons like this that cause people (like OP here) to be disappointed in the camera in the phone when they get it and start doing side-by-side 1:1 crops and other pixel-peeping tests that end up sucking all the enjoyment out of photography and leaving them unhappy before they even start getting any meaningful pics out of it.

If you must do a comparison, you can't draw any conclusions until you have both devices side-by-side shooting the same subjects in the same conditions. I'd be willing to bet that any of the night shots with moving subjects would be an abstract mess on the 920 where the NEX will either stop them or produce a nice artistic blur. The corner sharpness is better with the NEX, and there's a lot less noise in the higher ISO shots (night), and this is just with the craptastic kit zoom, mind you - if you put a 24mm FFE f/2 on that camera, there would be no comparison at all. If you really want to keep comparing it to the kit zoom, try zooming with the Nokia. Try stopping it down to f/22, or f/11, or f/anything that's not 2.0 to get more DoF in your shot. Try shooting RAW so you can have a lossless editing system.

The camera in the 920 is fantastic for a phone. I love shooting with it, but it's not replacing my camera any time soon - it's going to happily co-exist with it, both being used in different situations for different purposes, but if you want to be happy with either device, don't compare them. Different tools for different jobs.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2