Has anyone's L920 backed up properly?

Michael Weisberg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am about to do a hard reset of my L920 due to some new battery life issues and wanted to make sure that it had been doing backups. It said that the last backup was 2 weeks ago (when I first got it), which means any app that has been installed hasn't been backed up. So I try a backup and it errors out with error code: 0x80181548. Any idea what this is? My phone is attached to my network.

Anyone else with this?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Exactly what would you be looking to backup? Personally I've never backed up any of my WP's as there is nothing on there that I cannot easily retreive from the cloud. The only think I could think of would be old txt messages. Not sure about you but that old message from some girl calling me a jerk isn't going to cause me any grief if it gets deleted.

Michael Weisberg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Not the answer I was looking for. How about any app data like settings that have been done? What if I do have important txt messages that need to be saved? One of the best features of the iOS ecosystem was iCloud and its ability to backup everything and then restore it when needed. Can WP do that when needed?

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
all of my backups have worked fine and i've never gotten that error when forcing it to backup.

automatic app backup only seems to occur while i'm plugged in and have wi-fi enabled, otherwise i have to push the button to 'back up now'

inffy

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the exactly same problem.

I have tested this many times, last time was yesterday evening. I did a full factory reset and started with fresh (no restore from a backup). I installed all the apps i had bought using windowsphone.com page. After all had been installed, I did a backup. The backup finished ok, so I was happy that now it might work.

After an hour, I decided to test it again, and went to Settings->backup->app list + settings -> backup now. The progress bar starts to fill up, but almost instantly it gives me that same error you had. And now the error returns every time i try to do a backup.

Samething happens everytime, the first backup after factory reset works fine, but after X hours, the error returns...

Expat64

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I was forced to do a restore after my 920 bricked (before we knew about the brick recovery steps). Anyway, it worked as advertised and all the apps came back. My only niggly gripe is that it didn't backup/restore my live tile configuration, and we all know how much love and dedication goes into getting that just right 😎

The one (design) negative that really came to mind afterwards though was the lack of single sign on (SSO). I have all these apps that use my live sign on, why can't I have the option to let them leverage the built in Live (FB. Google etc.) credentials?
Sent from my white Lumia 920 using Board Express

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It installed back all your apps automatically??

Mine only installs back my messages! Even the last time when I selected restore nothing because it doesn't restore anything but messages, it still force restored my messages!!

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
i have not had any problems with backups, i have rest my phone twice since i got it (L920) trying to resolve batt issues like everyone else ( oh and the reset has appeared to solve batt issues, it now gets very good batt life, roughly off charger for 14-16 hours daily and around 45% when put back on charger at night with med to heavy use) both times i reset the phone it did indeed reinstall all my apps and text messages automatically. as for the auto back up i do have to agree that i do manually backup the phone after i install new apps, it does not seem to manually backup on its own. and yes it would be nice if it remembered my start screen layout, expat64 said it well, we spend a lot of time setting up our start screen, it weird the backup doesn't save this info

Michael Weisberg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am still getting the error message when trying to backup my phone. I have tried it when plugged into a/c and attached to wifi and on lte alone....both error out. What is the point of resetting the phone to get the backup to work if I don't have a good backup to restore from? This is very frustrating and almost a deal breaker...backing up phone data to the cloud is a must now-a-days. I really don't understand how iCloud can do this so seamlessly and yet a 2nd generation WP can't.

iskoisko

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
apps backup only backs up list of your apps downloaded in the phone and does not back up app settings. skydrive pics, they're automatically downloaded once you log in to skydrive app from your phone.

Caikems

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Restored mine.

Things backed up:
contacts
text messages
Photos (if you have your phone set to sync all photos/videos to skydrive)
LIST of apps purchased
Email/Login account names (not passwords)

Things not backed up:
Live tiles layout
App preferences and settings
Phone preferences and settings (display settings etc.)

I'm sure I've missed some things on the lists. But those are the things I noticed when I restored mine.

Caikems

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The pictures backed up to my SkyDrive aren't restoring to my phone

That's my mistake for not being clear. They will not go directly to your phone, you will have to manually move them to your phone if you want a physical copy on the phones memory. However, the skydrive is accessible via your phones photo app, so you shouldn't necessarily need to actually copy them over.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yup mine backuped up the apps I had, texts, call logs, emails, accounts needed to be put back in though, all my setting minus the high contrast, the tiles were all messed up but I can always fix that easily. Had to exchange for another phone and it worked just like it said.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
To be clear, apps are NOT backed up people. An apps list is, which is then downloaded from the microsoft store. But there is not an actual backup made of the app itself.

inffy

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Been trying to googling this problem but haven't found anything that would help with this problem. The strange thing here is that if I reset the phone and don't restore from abackup (start fresh) the backup works fine. But after a period of time which seems to vary the manual backup starts to spit out the same error everytime. After the first time the backup errors no backups will be completed successfully.

I'm kind of clueless what is causing this, maybe an app or a setting gets the backup borked. I reached to my local MS branch (Finland) but haven't heard anything from them yet...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire