When exactl is Nokia planning to push that software update to fix the camera's daylight performance?

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920's non-macro daylight pictures are way too soft, blurry and lack details. This fact is quite apparent when you view the pictures at 100%. While most of the camera pictures will look blurry at 100%, it's visibly far worse for 920 when compared to other apple/samsung flagship phones.

So far, we've only had one line of communication from Nokia about this. This tweet - https://twitter.com/XavierNokia/status/265017728551772160. It's been 3 weeks since that tweet and almost a month since the launch. I am really frustrated by this lack of communication/information from Nokia :( So when exactly can we expect this fix?!

I've read on the forums here that Nokia did a similar fix 900 camera. Do you guys remember how long did they take to push that update?

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Have some patience, even if they are ready to push out an update software fix for the camera, they have to run some tests to make sure the software is ready. The last thing anyone needs at this point is a software fix that is rushed and then it screws up the camera even more. Nokia will come out with a fix. Everyone just needs to be patient.

sjhippie

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered my phone and am waiting on the delivery. Hopefully it's soon. I can post process them to some extent but I'm hoping for either a RAW option (yeah right) or an option to turn off the NR tool. The camera was a big selling point for me and going in to order, I knew there were some software issues. Hopefully they get it sorted. I doubt we'll hear much as it would be an admission that there was a problem.

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Have some patience, even if they are ready to push out an update software fix for the camera, they have to run some tests to make sure the software is ready. The last thing anyone needs at this point is a software fix that is rushed and then it screws up the camera even more. Nokia will come out with a fix. Everyone just needs to be patient.

I think in all honesty the only company people have faith in regarding updates and software fixes is Apple.

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

It's not the delay that's frustrating. It's the complete lack of information and communication :/

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920's non-macro daylight pictures are way too soft, blurry and lack details. This fact is quite apparent when you view the pictures at 100%. While most of the camera pictures will look blurry at 100%, it's visibly far worse for 920 when compared to other apple/samsung flagship phones.

So far, we've only had one line of communication from Nokia about this. This tweet - https://twitter.com/XavierNokia/status/265017728551772160. It's been 3 weeks since that tweet and almost a month since the launch. I am really frustrated by this lack of communication/information from Nokia :( So when exactly can we expect this fix?!

I've read on the forums here that Nokia did a similar fix 900 camera. Do you guys remember how long did they take to push that update?

i think by asking "when exactly can we expect this fix" you have already answered your question. if people knew when exactly then there would have already been an article on here about it and also all over the internet. the fact that anyone from nokia has responded to the issue is promising that it will get fixed in the future. we are all in the same boat in that we just have to wait for it to happen. but i do think it will happen.

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
i think by asking "when exactly can we expect this fix" you have already answered your question. if people knew when exactly then there would have already been an article on here about it and also all over the internet. the fact that anyone from nokia has responded to the issue is promising that it will get fixed in the future. we are all in the same boat in that we just have to wait for it to happen. but i do think it will happen.

I was also wondering about how long did they take to push a similar fix for 900. That should serve as an indication.

Jonas Jonsson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I was also wondering about how long did they take to push a similar fix for 900. That should serve as an indication.
Nokia has generally been fairly quick to send out software fixes.They rolled out a firmware update 1~ month after the Lumia 800 launched and another one 2 months after. These were mostly battery and WiFi fixes if I remember correctly.

I think they patched AT&T's Lumia 900 within a couple of days as well, due to some critical bug. Not sure about the timeframe for the camera fix though.

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I think in all honesty the only company people have faith in regarding updates and software fixes is Apple.

really you think so? Then forgive me for disagreeing with you on that. I have owned 15 different nokia devices over the years and if you honestly believe what you are saying, you need to step out of the apple bubble and have a look around.

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking we all may find out a lot about the issues some are having and how they will be addressed at the Nokia Event on Wednesday, 11-28-12

luckylifo

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking we all may find out a lot about the issues some are having and how they will be addressed at the Nokia Event on Wednesday, 11-28-12

Are you talking about the event happening in London tomorrow? I highly doubt that's going to be anything more than launch event/concert :/

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
That's gonna take awhile. lol But they did come out quickly and publicly acknowledge the issue. Can't say the same in this case can we?
Nope. But the public outcry was pretty huge. This effected literally everyone who upgraded their OS (read tens of millions of users) not just those buying new devices. And... I would say maps is a far bigger deal than some fuzzy camera pics. JMO. (for the record, I do think Apple is fantastic in many ways, including customer care and service)

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Nope. But the public outcry was pretty huge. This effected literally everyone who upgraded their OS (read tens of millions of users) not just those buying new devices. And... I would say maps is a far bigger deal than some fuzzy camera pics. JMO. (for the record, I do think Apple is fantastic in many ways, including customer care and service)

Yeah, but Maps we know is a software issue. We suspect the camera is one as well but we don't know cause they won't say a thing. Both maps in IOS 6 and the camera on the 920 were key features on their respective devices. I know many people who dropped iPhone to go to Android because of maps. **** I did, take my iPhone when I went to NY were it will likely be a crap shoot. Or take my Note 2 and google maps with transit built in, indoor views, ect. It is a major feature, your right. Wish Nokia would at least acknowledge they are aware and a fix is coming in a few weeks.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that valuable insight.

It's a gift.

Right now users of the Lumia 920 need to decide to do one of the following:

1. Give up. Take the Lumia they purchased from AT&T and return it. They bought the phone because it was touted as being able to do "x" and it cannot. It is your right as a customer to return the device and swap out for another phone that you believe will suit your needs better.
  2. Hold tight. Take the lumps as they come and wait for Nokia to acknowledge the concern and offer a software fix or even a hardware replacement should that be determined to be the root cause of the problems. If you haven't, reach out to Nokia directly and go ahead and contact Stephen Elop directly.

People aren't making noise by jumping onto a forum and complaining. WPC is not a division of AT&T, Microsoft or Nokia. While one could argue that they are a respected, frequently visited site for information on Windows Phone and Windows Phone devices they aren't the only source and a handful of writers won't do much more than what you as an individual can on your own. If Nokia, AT&T and Microsoft were to experience a flood of complaints on the Lumia 920, you would see some action taken to resolve the matter. However, this isn't happening or it is not happening to the degree necessary for anyone to warrant allocating time/energy/resources/capital to address the situation.

I don't expect to receive a direct response to Elop but I sent a message regarding the 920 and some concerns that I have. I think it was well-written and factual rather than being too personalized and emotional. If enough people did that and were consistent on the message - phone is great but needs software fixes - things will change. AT&T, Microsoft and Nokia cannot afford the bad press.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos