Just got an update... for Extras+info... what was it?

leebaboon

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It is the wifi fix, my device is always connected to wifi now, even after being in standby for an hour+ Naturally, nothing listed anywhere confirming this but this morning I noticed a few times when using the phone after standby, the wifi icon was connecting, since the update, that is not happening. Can anyone confirm?

Jason Figge

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that it's the bloatware from AT&T :) Seriously, though, I wonder if it's the additional software customization that the operator needs to remove / fine tune the user experience for their networks. For example, on my Lumia 800 I had full wifi tethering without paying for it because it was a developers device. On my 920 it's looks and works exactly the same way, only now it seems to make an authentication call to AT&T after you switch on the server. Several seconds later it turns off and says I've not pay for the service.

Therefore I wonder if the "Extras" are were AT&T add these little tweaks. Any one know if the developer devices have this entry?

leebaboon

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that it's the bloatware from AT&T :) Seriously, though, I wonder if it's the additional software customization that the operator needs to remove / fine tune the user experience for their networks. For example, on my Lumia 800 I had full wifi tethering without paying for it because it was a developers device. On my 920 it's looks and works exactly the same way, only now it seems to make an authentication call to AT&T after you switch on the server. Several seconds later it turns off and says I've not pay for the service.

Therefore I wonder if the "Extras" are were AT&T add these little tweaks. Any one know if the developer devices have this entry?

Wouldn't be AT&T related, I am in the UK and received the update this afternoon, like I said above, since the update, my wifi is always connected. Cannot see any other changes.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It is the wifi fix, my device is always connected to wifi now, even after being in standby for an hour+ Naturally, nothing listed anywhere confirming this but this morning I noticed a few times when using the phone after standby, the wifi icon was connecting, since the update, that is not happening. Can anyone confirm?
Hey! It does seem like that! I have NEVER seen the wifi icon on my lock screen, it always lights up right after unlock. I honestly expected some kind of setting for it, not just a silent push of "always on". Good eye!

This could improve battery life - no more constant disconnecting and reconnecting :)
Never mind, false alarm. It seems to stay connected for a bit longer than usual but it's not staying on ALL the time :(

Last edited:

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

my device still reconnects to wifi after coming out of standby.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
so i went to Settings > extras+info

and it says: Manufacturer Model Name RM-820_nam_att_100

for those of you that haven't updated, does it say the same thing? why 820 instead of 920?
RM-820 is the model number of the Lumia 920. I think RM-822 is for the 820. There's a few of them like that depending on radio build.

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, confirmed that WiFi does not show on lock screen until I actually touch the screen.

Installing update and rebooting.
"I'll be back"

leebaboon

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Something has happened to my wifi today, I have been checking all evening, the wifi is constantly on, even on the lock screen. The update is the only thing which has changed so that must surely be the reason.

Obviously makes no sense that others are not seeing the same. Wish MS would include change logs, save everyone from guessing.

Luke Kailburn

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
phew. I applied the update and it rebooted my phone but it got stuck at the nokia logo. gave it 5 minutes, nothing. So I held down the volume and lock and she's back. Thank goodness.

joshredraider

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, just saw the update notification, downloaded the update, and just rebooted my phone. Will report back if I notice different wifi behavior or anything else.

Update: After a reboot, the wifi is not staying connected for me. Verified that the version is now 1.4.2.1 just to be sure. Will keep on eye on things.

Last edited:

gudnuf4u

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
anybody else getting crappy battery drain after the update? My battery went from 90% to power down over night ....went to sleep at 11pm and woke up at 5am with a Critically Low warning on my phone ....I'm going to monitor tonight and see if it drained again

Michael Weisberg

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
anybody else getting crappy battery drain after the update? My battery went from 90% to power down over night ....went to sleep at 11pm and woke up at 5am with a Critically Low warning on my phone ....I'm going to monitor tonight and see if it drained again

Mine was doing that...I let it completely drain and then charge and it seems to be doing better. Not sure why.

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
could be coincidence??

mine didn't do that but when i got to work and pulled the phone out of my pocket my phone was Off. i tried to power it back on but the power button didn't do anything. i had to do a reset by holding Power and Volume Down for a few seconds until it would power on.

this could be a coincidence and have nothing to do with the update though.

rajeshr68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I got the update notification. However, when I go to update it I get an error. I've checked and I can download other apps from the market, so it's not a problem with market. Maybe the update got pulled?

Bugrahan

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I, too, got the update on my Yellow Lumia 920 (AT&T) but the update failed to install over and over. Right now, when I go to the settings, I can see a text string in the place of Extras+info.

1.png
The text string says @C:\Date\Programs\{2377fe1b-c10f-47da-92f3.., so I started digging more and got to the direct link of the file from Store.

The direct link to the app is http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/extras-info/2377fe1b-c10f-47da-92f3-fc517345a3c0 . You have to click this from your phone. Before I clicked, I assumed it will "overwrite" the corrupted installation like good old days. But no, this is what I have got:

2.png

My 2? guess is, this update was not supposed to enter the Store in the first place.

Could you guys report your findings, after clicking the link above with your carrier and model, please?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6