It's things like this that will sink MSFT and NOK..

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
It's the little things..

I'm trying to sign up for XBOX Music Pass trial, but, when I select the trial, it attempts to send an SMS to a phone number I haven't had for years .. When I added my new phone number to my "security proofs" (keep in mind 99% of the population will be lost at this step) it says that it's going to take 30 days to update to my new email address!

I'm trying to setup a trial and likely buy XBOX Music Pass, but, this is infuriating! As a new convert from the iPhone to Windows Phone, this is not a good introduction from Apple to Microsoft.

I can buy albums no problem from XBOX Music Store, I can buy Apps no problem, but, I can't sign up for a trial!? I even tried to just skip the trial and sign up for the $9.99 a month that wouldn't work either.

After initiating a online support chat which took just about an hour of waiting in queue, I finally had a support guy tell me that I need to wait 30 days and that there is anything Microsoft can do.

Why did I post this in the Lumia 920 forum? Because Nokia is tied to this garbage and will sink along with MSFT if they don't make it easy for people to purchase services such as Xbox Live. Why does my cell phone number have any bearing on me signing up for XBOX Music? As a long time Nokia customer, this pains me that I have to be at the mercy of Microsoft going forward.

I love the lame excuse from Microsoft that they require security proofs to protect me to protect my credit card etc, yet, they perfectly allow purchasing of apps and music from my phone (which I think would probably have relevance to requiring my phone number)

The whole thing is confusing and idiotic. The fact that I could transfer my entire bank account and personal assets in less time than it take to update my email security proof with Microsoft is laughable.

So frustrated right now that I can't sign up for XBOX Music Pass for a month because of this non-sense.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they should just stop offering a free trial. Nobody else really does. And problem solved! :evil:

In all seriousness, it sucks that you are having this issue. I actually had this happen with paypal. They needed to send a text to the registered number since I was buying a few things today (Cyber Monday). The registered number is my wife's and the only other way to verify instantly is with a check routing number. Well, I don't have that either. Bummer. I guess it is good that they value security, but you are right, it doesn't explain how easily apps can be purchased without said security measures.

barracuda1187

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
This is something that's annoyed me for a long time - things associated with XBOX Live accounts can be confusing to figure out HOW to change, and once you figure it out, you HAVE to wait 30 days for it to take effect.

Example: I just got a 920, and coming from iOS I had thought I was ready - I'd pre-prepped an @live.com account for myself, linked it to other MSFT accounts, imported contacts, etc - but when I went to also link my XBOX gamertag (which was created quite some time ago and linked to a really old Hotmail account), I found it can't just be moved over.

Basically, anything having to do with an XBOX Live account = 30 day wait, period. And if you want to move it again or move it back - another 30 day wait. I get and appreciate added security, but 30 days seems a bit excessive.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they should just stop offering a free trial. Nobody else really does. And problem solved! :evil:

Well not really, because I even offered to skip the trial and go straight to paying for it with no luck.. I can't sign up for any XBOX Services until the end of December because of this.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Basically, anything having to do with an XBOX Live account = 30 day wait, period. And if you want to move it again or move it back - another 30 day wait. I get and appreciate added security, but 30 days seems a bit excessive.

That's the amusing part, you could snowball your account all the way for 6 months!! Doing some research, there are many people out there who can't do anything for 6 months on their live accounts.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Well not really, because I even offered to skip the trial and go straight to paying for it with no luck.. I can't sign up for any XBOX Services until the end of December because of this.
I was kidding... The little :evil: is indication of that. But he kind of looks like he is really happy while pooping. I get the confusion. /sarcasm

ZoSo925

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Some dinky music account is not going to sink Nokia or Microsoft. Why are people even wasting money with music? I have over 1.5 Terabytes of music and never paid a penny for it. I stream music all over my house to my Xbox and PS3 from my File Server

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Some dinky music account is not going to sink Nokia or Microsoft. Why are people even wasting money with music? I have over 1.5 Terabytes of music and never paid a penny for it. I stream music all over my house to my Xbox and PS3 from my File Server

I think you're failing to understand the bigger picture here..

And stealing music isn't really the answer to the problem either.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
No, one particular thing won't sink the ship, but a bunch of minor annoyances can add up to a big problem - that's the point.

Exactly.. And at a point when MSFT needs to do everything possible to get people to switch from iPhone to Windows Phone, they need to make that transition as easy and painless as possible..

A very hard thing to do when Apple has built itself of ease of use and exceptional customer service.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Look at this excellent use of an action verb: "I'm trying to setup a trial and likely buy XBOX Music Pass, but, this is infuriating!" I'd link you to our collection of action verbs for newbie whiners but you have the situation under control...

Carry on.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Many people jumped onto the iPhone because of the iPod, music is huge.

What do you do for a living? Do you do anything besides work as a cashier?

Last edited:

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Look at this excellent use of an action verb: "I'm trying to setup a trial and likely buy XBOX Music Pass, but, this is infuriating!" I'd link you to our collection of action verbs for newbie whiners but you have the situation under control...

Carry on.

Congrats for carrying on like a child.. That make you feel big and great on the inside?

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Just thought I would come back in and update everyone.. I loaded up my XBOX and tried to subscribe to XBOX Music Pass there and guess what? It worked!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes