Great 920 review from Mashable

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for sharing, Bert. I appreciated Cristina's take on the 920. She appeared honest throughout the entire video and I liked that she pointed out how much she liked the Start screen's advantages over iOS. She made a good point about how disruptive WP has been (UI-wise) and how she expects Apple to react and do something about their stale home screen.

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
Never understood the obsession with instagram. Taking hipstamatic photo's doesn't make you look retro. If you want to look like your in the 80's ditch the $600 smartphone and get AIDS.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Never understood the obsession with instagram. Taking hipstamatic photo's doesn't make you look retro. If you want to look like your in the 80's ditch the $600 smartphone and get AIDS.

I have seen some great shots on instagram, generally without any added filters. I don;t necessarily see the appeal to the extent that some others do, but I figure I'll take it. People want it, it will get more people to adopt the OS, thus attracting other devs as well. It is a win for everyone (aside from MS if WP flops since they are bankrolling a lot of these devs).

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
I have seen some great shots on instagram, generally without any added filters. I don;t necessarily see the appeal to the extent that some others do, but I figure I'll take it. People want it, it will get more people to adopt the OS, thus attracting other devs as well. It is a win for everyone (aside from MS if WP flops since they are bankrolling a lot of these devs).

Oh I'm not saying they shouldn't come to WP8, but a photo app being that important? I'm struggling with the fact there's no citibank app. No access to my funds. This phone however might actually save me money in the long run. When my wife texts me to transfer her money I can say "Sorry, don't have access to that right now".

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i was in the same situation as her, coming from an iPhone and new to Windows Phone (just like a lot of other Lumia 920 owners in here) and i made a list of positives versus negatives as i adapted to the phone and my list of positives far outweighed the list of negatives. i really hope she's a tech writer though and not normally talking or on video. the way she spoke and how her mouth moved was really distracting and she had an INSANE amount of 'vocal fry' which i couldn't get over either.

i think when it comes down to it, it all depends on how you use your phone. for some people that rely on a lot of iOS or android exclusive apps it sadly just won't be an option for them at this moment.

windocks96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
coming form having iOS for 3 years
i understand everything she is saying
but I have always preferred Windows to OSX
so i given WP8 a chance and I have not been disappointed
yeah the little hap-tic feedback is annoying sometimes, not having a stock battery percentage, a version of notification center, backgrounds other than light and dark, better task killer/manager, a way to organize apps by category and maybe swipe like keyboard... would make it perfect IMO

Apps will come be patient.

hopefully with Apollo + and w/e comes after it some of the minor issues above are "fixed"

B T C

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I see Microsoft covertly patenting everything about WP8 that Apple, or Google, might be interested in reproducing and then suing them into the stone ages. Sue Lawyer, Sue.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh I'm not saying they shouldn't come to WP8, but a photo app being that important? I'm struggling with the fact there's no citibank app. No access to my funds. This phone however might actually save me money in the long run. When my wife texts me to transfer her money I can say "Sorry, don't have access to that right now".

different strokes I guess.

Citi doesn't have a website you can just log into?

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for sharing, Bert. I appreciated Cristina's take on the 920. She appeared honest throughout the entire video and I liked that she pointed out how much she liked the Start screen's advantages over iOS. She made a good point about how disruptive WP has been (UI-wise) and how she expects Apple to react and do something about their stale home screen.
There's always hope, I guess, but I don't expect Apple to do anything of the sort. One of the most common reasons to jailbreak is to run Lockinfo or Intelliscreen. Android has featured glanceable widgets since it's humble beginnings. PalmOS had an agenda view home screen option before the iPhone was ever launched, as did Windows Mobile before WP7. Apple has always viewed this feature as an anachronism, like having a hardware keyboard or a USB port. We're well into the 6th version of iOS, and still nothing but Notification Center, which is not a substitute for any decent lockscreen. Apple isn't going to change iOS to be more like everyone else.

ealexand#CB

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I think instagram is now more about the social network than the filters

jtes8

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I too saw this early this morning and was impressed with how she seemed to be completely honest and validated her criticisms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz