excuse me... what IS that phone!?

Enever

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I notice this has been posted before a long time ago (on a Lumia 900 thread) and I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this but i thought it would be a brighter topic in an otherwise reasonably gloomy forum!

I had the same thing with my Old Cyan Lumia 900, but since getting my upgrade to the 920 just yesterday, the "what is that phone!?" comments have already been flying in on my commute to and from work.

my latest one was in the elevator on my lunch break... " what is that phone?! looks amazing!" (que me giving the usual speech about how awesome it is and WP is) followed by " does it come in other colors, where can i get one?, im bored of my small iphone etc etc"... and then as i left the elevator a friend of the interested party also in the elevator could be heard saying " yeh, i saw someone with one of those on the subway earlier, really wanted to ask them what it was as it looked awesome".

anyway...anyone else got the same kind of attention for their device? any interesting stories?

sorry if this is off topic but it is one of the most satisfying things to happen since switching from an iphone 6 months ago. It's nice to feel part of something actually fresh, interesting, modern and progressive after years of boring black rectangles with faux leather style operating systems!

ARVI_SD

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i have a similar experience in elevator. most people doesn't know that there is a third OS called WP and doesnt know that Nokia is still making phones.

but once they try the home screen they are amazed with interface/live tiles

Enever

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's Cyan (as was my 900). Yes, it's an obnoxious color but in a funny way that was kind of the point.

I am actually an industrial designer who has worked on phone design projects (as well as tablets, tv's etc etc) for several of the largest cell phone manufacturers, as well as working on Windows phone 7 "related products" before it was released a few years ago. I have been so fed up of the mundaneness of the iphone and all of its rounded black rectangle with a splash of chrome " samsung clones" ever since that i was waiting and waiting and waiting for a device like the Lumia to use windows phone and jumped at the product when launched. So when it came, i wanted the color that made it the most obviously not an iPhone! (and i like matte finishes, so the upgrade had to be cyan really!)

on a side note, as someone who as worked on endless " make a cell phone that is better than an iphone" briefs. I can tell you that it was a simple case of Nokia finally being the first one to have the balls (/ be desperate enough) to actually go with an interesting/ different form factor over everyone else. Designers didn't just stop designing interesting phones, it was more that all the major companies wanted a slice of the apple pie (excuse the pun!) and wanted to stick as close as possible to that form factor in order to be as un-risky as possible.

So i just want to say a big thank you to Nokia for doing this as it has made what has been a "head banging against a brick wall" job for the past 4 years into an enjoyable and interesting one again now that companies are willing to try these things (see HTC 8x and co).

kevinxb

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The bright colors definitely get more attention. I had a black Lumia 900 that most people never took a second glance at. Since I got my red 920, I've had a good number of people notice it and ask me what kind of phone it is. Most want to know if the red is a case or if the phone itself is red, and they seem surprised to learn it is the latter.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I have a cyan 920. Nobody has noticed it, or at least were not brave enough to ask. I take the T into the heart of Boston every morning too, LOL.

BlobDude

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Most want to know if the red is a case or if the phone itself is red, and they seem surprised to learn it is the latter.

This x100000. Almost everyone I've talked to about my red L920 has assumed it had a case. When I tell them otherwise or hand them the phone, they're always shocked.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a cyan 920. Nobody has noticed it, or at least were not brave enough to ask. I take the T into the heart of Boston every morning too, LOL.

Same here, I take the red line in to Boston every morning and no one ever says anything. Must be that keep-to-yourself New England attitude... ;-)

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I never had people asking about my yellow 920 (only had it for 3 days) but it did get a few looks from female department. Same thing, Boston's T.

Enever

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Admittedly, with the 900 50% of people asked if it was a case! ( sad reflection on how apple brainwashed everyone is!( I think the curved glass of the 920 makes the device seem a lot more complete and integrated...no case inquiries here...yet!

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Was just at Old Carolina restaurant and I heard one of the cooks talking to another and said "Yeah...that's one of those Windows Phones"

Not sure how he knew as there's very lil advertisement for cyan colored WP

benski

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten more comments with my red 920 than my old cyan 900 - "what kind of phone is that???"

I was at a recent party with friends, most of them work at Apple. They were all pretty impressed with
the phone. I think the biggest problem is a lot of folks just don't get a decent enough overview/demo
of what the phone is capable of. Spend 5 minutes with someone showing them the features, social
integration capabilities and most walk away impressed.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Yea I get it now and then. A lot of the time people comment on the size (the 920 makes my HD7 feel tiny now). I have a white 920 and once somebody asked if it was the iPhone 5

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I had that on the airplane flying to my parent's place for Thanksgiving. I also busted out my Surface RT to watch Downton Abbey and got comments on both!! It was nice. :) Seriously, iphones, ipads, and androids look sooooo old and clunky compared to WP8/Surface RT.

Fred Garvin MP

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just had this happen yesterday at my local coffee shop. I was taking a picture, then went back to the tiles and the person behind me perked up and said "Ooooooh! Is that a Windows phone??" LOL. I chuckled a little and went into salesperson mode ;)

Enever

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been called a salesperson far too many times in the last 6 months...is it strange that WP users tend to be so passionate as to turn into a salesperson whenever anyone asks!? I just feel so compelled to show people what they are missing user experience and satisfaction wise!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb