excuse me... what IS that phone!?

masterchief1984

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I work in a call center, and we were having a little downtime. Everyone had their phones out. Iphones, S3's, I pull out the Lumia and started texting. My manager an Apple ****** saw my 920 called me a blasphemer. That led to everyone wanting to see the phone and ask about colors.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
this happened to me today. i was taking the city metro bus to downtown. i sat down in a seat next to a couple. pulled out my phone and browsed this site for a min then the guy asked me what phone did i have. i told him it was a lumia 920 and showed him the start screen. he asked who made that? (at the time he was holding an iphone 4. when he asked who made that he put his iphone in his pocket and i laughed inside a lil bit) i told him nokia. let him play with it for about 5min. told him it was an at&t exclusive right now. he said his contract was up in december and he may have to switch. it kind of felt good in a pride sort of way.

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 was noticed at a restaurant last week. Guy seemed like a techie and seemed like he knew more about the phone than I did. He's getting a Nexus though (through his company). My other phone (Red Samsung GS3) is not getting much attention though.

kumasokka

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
It's Cyan (as was my 900). Yes, it's an obnoxious color but in a funny way that was kind of the point.

I am actually an industrial designer who has worked on phone design projects (as well as tablets, tv's etc etc) for several of the largest cell phone manufacturers, as well as working on Windows phone 7 "related products" before it was released a few years ago. I have been so fed up of the mundaneness of the iphone and all of its rounded black rectangle with a splash of chrome " samsung clones" ever since that i was waiting and waiting and waiting for a device like the Lumia to use windows phone and jumped at the product when launched. So when it came, i wanted the color that made it the most obviously not an iPhone! (and i like matte finishes, so the upgrade had to be cyan really!)

on a side note, as someone who as worked on endless " make a cell phone that is better than an iphone" briefs. I can tell you that it was a simple case of Nokia finally being the first one to have the balls (/ be desperate enough) to actually go with an interesting/ different form factor over everyone else. Designers didn't just stop designing interesting phones, it was more that all the major companies wanted a slice of the apple pie (excuse the pun!) and wanted to stick as close as possible to that form factor in order to be as un-risky as possible.

So i just want to say a big thank you to Nokia for doing this as it has made what has been a "head banging against a brick wall" job for the past 4 years into an enjoyable and interesting one again now that companies are willing to try these things (see HTC 8x and co).

if you don't mind me asking, how did you get into industrial design? That's the field I want to go into, and I'd love to pick your brain if you wouldn't mind. :3

Back on topic, everyone stares at my Red 920, but no one has asked yet.

Enever

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
if you don't mind me asking, how did you get into industrial design? That's the field I want to go into, and I'd love to pick your brain if you wouldn't mind. :3

Back on topic, everyone stares at my Red 920, but no one has asked yet.

I guess this is off topic and may need to be a private thread. But to put it simply, by studying Industrial Design at University.

It's a long and hard course/ road from day one of the degree to full time employment ( 4 year minimum course, 1 year minimum interning and very VERY long hours with little to no financial reward for even more years!)... BUT it has to be one of the most rewarding jobs creating products that people end up holding, using and hopefully loving!

it is nice to get paid to do your hobby also!

GreekboyD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I work in a call center, and we were having a little downtime. Everyone had their phones out. Iphones, S3's, I pull out the Lumia and started texting. My manager an Apple ****** saw my 920 called me a blasphemer. That led to everyone wanting to see the phone and ask about colors.

Did he shine the Apple symbol into the sky to alert Tim Cook about your allegiance?

humdinger

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
My company has a lot of WP and MS users so I don't get that many questions about it. As a tech company, though, we have plenty of diversification in the phone ownership market. Just of my closest coworkers, there are iPhones, Galaxies, other nondescript Android phones, etc. I'm the only 920, though!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone is generally liked... very much so from what I can see. There are very few people that would use it, and then say that they don't like it... the first time I used WP it felt like a newer generation UX .. you know, after you use one everything else kind feels older in a sense..

em dot

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
picked up a Lumia 920 Saturday. As with many of you guys and gals, I've been asked what it is, and that it's "so big!" lol.

damon312

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Exact same with me. :)
Guess ill get in line and state it def is a conversation starter with Chicks!!! Have the red L920 and was at a jazz lounge for an early PM CONCERT and the two chicks started asking me about the phone and then other things in the conversation starter!! Both have iphone 5s too but were diggin the 920 :)

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Guess ill get in line and state it def is a conversation starter with Chicks!!! Have the red L920 and was at a jazz lounge for an early PM CONCERT and the two chicks started asking me about the phone and then other things in the conversation starter!! Both have iphone 5s too but were diggin the 920 :)

Did they "dig" something else too?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel