excuse me... what IS that phone!?

mjperez100

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
yesterday while out covering a car accident for my station, i was texting the wife when i see a cop come up to me and ask "hey, is that the new nokia phone?" i gave him the brief overview, showed him the camera and low light performance and quickly chatted about nokia stepping up their game and rim slipping into oblivion. he seemed really impressed and he said he was going to go check one out. this was my first ever experience with something like this (first wp was the arrive...alright phone but definitely not an attention grabber). i have the white 920. i had ordered the cyan but walmart ran out and i didn't want to wait so i got the white.

rdjward

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Went to a work dinner last night and someone noticed me grabbing a couple low light shots with my black 920. Caught someones eye and resulted in passing it around to a couple people at the table who all thought it was pretty cool and really impressed at how well my low light pictures turned out.

pjeung

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
" What new android device is that?"

"That's a nice yellow case you have on your phone."

I've never gotten, "wow that's the nokia lumia 920 running windows 8 right?" Even after explaining to people the phone i have, their reply has always been, "what's a windows phone?"

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Sounds really good. :excited:

Still waiting for my red 920. Don't really think I will be getting it before Christmas, but I don't pay for it (since my company does) so I am able to wait a little longer. But it's hard to wait. Norway btw.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So, no more stories? :(

I have a lumia 810 and my friend just got his 920 that i convicned him to get over the Galaxy Note. We went to a party together tonight and this guy was flirting with me and we were chatting and my friend pulls out his phone and starts texting....the guy i'm talking to immediately noticed the phone and was asking a bunch of questions about the phone....

I got c*ck blocked by a lumia 920 :p

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Keep these coming, fun read.
For somebody who crosses between Sweden and Finland i'm not exactly getting any attention in the streets of both countries holding a Nokia phone. :wink: As a gadget freak i do get asked what phones, tablets and such to get by friends and family members and already made couple of them switch to Lumia.

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I get a lot of "That's that new Nokia, right?"

Or, "Is that the phone I see in commercials?" .... Sure. haha

I was pretty frustrated the other day. I was in Chicago's AT&T flagship store on Michigan Ave. They have a pretty big Lumia display, right in the front. Every color shown, and both 8x's too! I was looking at accessories under the phone displays.

Two girls walked up to the display...

"OMG its the iPhone 5g!" (Yes, the 5 "g")
"I want this red one!"
"What is Windows phone?"
"Oh, this is TOO much for me. It's WAY to confusing. Uh-uh, no way."
"Where are the iPhones?"

I wanted to yell, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" Ig-Nant.:angry:

BlvckSovp

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
^How old were they? A lot of people are still stuck in the mindframe that if it isn't an iPhone, then "it ain't S***" haha. Luckily, there are more intelligent folk out there.

I don't have a lumia (YET...still debating between cyan and yellow, with white a distant third) but I'm trying to convert some friends I know over to the dark side. Some don't even want to give it a chance which is kind of a shame because it really is something special.

Off topic; does anybody else see too much orange in the red lumia? Every time I see one, it looks like fire orange to me. Granted this is under fluorescent lighting but...

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I had a guy at Best Buy say something. Had to pop out my phone to show him the pickup receipt and he asked me what I thought. Love the software, phones a bit think and LTE is spotty at best, but great experience so far.

I actually have a friend at work that I NEVER would have thought would come over, he doesn't even have a smartphone, but he even said to me this week that he was looking up prices of the 822. Crazy things happen, haha.

GomzyRockz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My friend works at Microsoft, So I actually held a black L920 way back in September. Back then I still had an Android and was undecided on my new phone. But after looking at the 920, I decided to give it a try. I preordered a red L920, and boy is it sexy. I convinced 2 of my collegues to get a L920!! Collegues to whom I never speak, come over and play with my phone. Never knew showing off my phone wud be so fun!!

azasadny

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I work in IT and I'm surrounded by ohone geeks, so almost every day someone asks me about my red 920. I call it the "anti-iPhone". I was ecstatic the day I uninstalled iTunes from every PC we have!

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I work in IT and I'm surrounded by ohone geeks, so almost every day someone asks me about my red 920. I call it the "anti-iPhone". I was ecstatic the day I uninstalled iTunes from every PC we have!

LOL. Make sure "Apple Update" and the security hole called Bonjour (comes with iTunes) are also completely uninstalled!

Cellus13

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a lumia 810 and my friend just got his 920 that i convicned him to get over the Galaxy Note. We went to a party together tonight and this guy was flirting with me and we were chatting and my friend pulls out his phone and starts texting....the guy i'm talking to immediately noticed the phone and was asking a bunch of questions about the phone....

I got c*ck blocked by a lumia 920 :p

lol!!!! That's something new!

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I have my 920 and I'm in the Army. We're out right now on a field training exercise and I picked up my phone and was checking it. Two guys walk over and ask if its the new Windows Phone. I say yeah and let one of them hold it. After scrolling down my start screen he literally says "Holy S***! I love that interface" I was pretty happy after that.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had this experience twice now. First was when I was sitting in the dentist's chair waiting for my mouth to 'numb' up before getting some work done on my teeth. While I waited I pulled out the 920 and started playing some angry birds and the assistant and dentist both walked by and said something like, "Whoa...what phone is that? That's awesome!" So, I showed it off a best (as best as I could do with a quickly numbing mouth.

The next was this past Sunday as I saw one of the new families at church messing around with his new iPhone 5 and he asked what phone I used and I showed him my 920. He was ga-ga over it. I was quite surprised how he reacted to it. He loved the screen, the tiles, and the build. Unfortunately he's a big-whig at the hospital in town and the phones come directly from his employer so he probably won't get to have a 920 anytime soon (especially since he just got the iPhone 5...).

The youth at church really like it too. Though, one of the girls (who is used to her dad's iPhone) thinks the phone is 'too confusing.' Which I interpret as, "Man, that's different than what I'm used to..."

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
well, my iPhone friend stopped mocking me with "Wow, that's a huge phone". When he pulls out his iPhone I always say: "Wow that's a tiny phone"....

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)