Where do I start?

Spike Tizzle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Been surfing the forum quite a bit.

Finally got my Lumia 920 today! About to chuck my blackberry out the window!

I was wondering where exactly I should start in terms of battery stuff, nokia drive, and stuff like that to prevent the drain.

Any recommended apps. Any recommended step by step procedures to get things to roll as smoothly as possible?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi and welcome to WPCentral and to your new device. :smile:

You might want to start here.

I am sure that folks will be around to help you with any further questions that you might have.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Uninstall Nokia Drive if you dont need it.

Disable background tasks that you can that you dont need as you start to install apps.

Disable Location On when you dont need it.

Set Brightness to Automatic. Low isnt as low as the phone can go so hopefully that will get fixed in the future.

Sort of a smart ass comment, sort of serious but ....try not to use your phone as a smart phone, IE keep the screen off often if its not charging.

Keep a charger handy at all times. ;)

But I guess, some people claim they can actually use their phone a lot and the battery holds up well. So probably the first thing to do is after a couple charging cycles, see how far your phone will go. Maybe youll get as lucky as some around here have.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
All I would say is disable things you don't use or rarely use (BT, NFC, Super sensitive display) first off. Then if you have email accounts setup, do you need them to be updated as you receive emails or will every 15/30 minutes work fine? And lastly let your phone drain to 0 or near 0 2-3 times in the first week and then charge it to 100% in one shot. That was the biggest thing that seemed to turn mine around from the first few days. After a full drain 2-3 times and subsequent 100% charges, it was holding great after that. Also do a soft reset (shut down and start back up) after changing the radio setting and such.

Vaas

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Good choice :)

I have the battery app but I have it turned off for auto-updating. I think that was my problem as the phone would be dead in 8hrs sitting my car while at work. With the app turned off It is down about 12%. I did also turn off nokia drive. There are some great apps out there so browse around, I do not have phone in front of me so cannot list off my apps.

Spike Tizzle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank guys,

About to turn it on and start setting stuff up.

I will defintely disable those items for sure.

Let's get the ball rolling. I'll update this thread if I'm in need of any assistance.

Thanks for now! And if there is additional input, please feel free to chime in.

Spike Tizzle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So I put the micro-sim in. But my network connection bars as a 'do not enter" symbol on it. I'm just working through wifi at the moment to get the apps in.

jeffgeno

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
If you're not having any battery troubles, then there's no need to disable or uninstall anything. You're making the phone less functional without any reason for doing so.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I use Cowlick! for twitter, other good ones are rowi and mehdoh. All 3 blow the official twitter app away. You can use the Me tile integration for the basics though.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Cowlick and Gleek are both great, Liquid Daffodil did a great job with them. I will warn you words with friends has been locking a lot off WP8 up, not just Nokias, so may be best to skip it for now.

masterchief1984

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I did the what I usually do with a new phone. Do not charge it right away let the phone die, then charge it. I haven't had battery issues yet. But as always with any phone keep a charger handy.

Spike Tizzle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Will check out both Cowlick and Gleek!

Any idea on the status of WhatsApp? I've read its not the greatest, causing overheating, but the whatsapp group is working on a new version?

Just downloaded the ESPN app.

Absolutley loving how fast the phone is. It completely zips through everything.

Also, what was the name of the battery app which shows the percent on your screen, quite a few people were raving about it

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Will check out both Cowlick and Gleek!

Any idea on the status of WhatsApp? I've read its not the greatest, causing overheating, but the whatsapp group is working on a new version?

Just downloaded the ESPN app.

Absolutley loving how fast the phone is. It completely zips through everything.

Also, what was the name of the battery app which shows the percent on your screen, quite a few people were raving about it

I don't use it personally, but it's called Battery Level.

Battery Level for WP8 | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Don't get spooked by the battery complaints. I think you'll find that you don't have any issues. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the problem is with some of the older apps. I'm not seeing any battery issues at all, in fact, it's lasting a ridiculously long time.

Spike Tizzle

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So ending my day off here with the phone.

Got it at 50% charge. Havent gotten it activated yet, so running things through wifi. Just getting all my apps in order. Let the battery drain out. Charged it to full until around 10:45 pm (its 12:33 am). Took it to Timmies, showed it off to a friend. Did some surfing via wifi, some youtube, tested the cam out, transfered a song via bluetooth, downloaded some apps. Down to 89% battery. Which seems to be reasonable. This is with power-saver not on. (should i keep it turned on). The phone says I have 15 hours of charge remaining

I love the feel of it, nice solid phone. You do feel the weight of it, but I don't mind it and over time I will get use to it.

Got the ESPN app, which I'm addicted to. Took a few night shots, relatively solid. I'm a financial analyst, I love the Microsoft tools, Excel is godly on this.

Any recommended games for me?
Haven't decided on a twitter app at the moment, still fiddling around.
Went with the MS weather app, feels relatively solid.
In regards to the Calender, how can I get it to show my events/assignment on my main user interface. Right now it just has today's date (wednesday now). I have a project due friday, which shows on the calender when I go into the app, but not on the main screen. Any thoughts?

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I only use power saving when it gets to 20% or less so yes toggle it on, but choose that option not always on.

For Weather, I like Accuweather, has a nice live tile and good content, but there are many weather choices and others prefer different ones.

The Calendar tile will only show the next appointment/all day event that's within the next day so if you have nothing on the calendar for the current day and the next, it won't show anything on it until you are within a day of the next item.

So many game and so many tastes, I'll leave that to others, but browse the top free games category and best rated as a start. Look for stuff with 4+ stars and plenty of ratings and that should get you going in the right direction.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99