Should I get an exchange? (Battery life)

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

I've had my black Lumia 920 now for 12 days and I absolutely love it. I love WP8 and the phone does pretty much everything I want it to (there's one or two apps I miss from my old Android phone, but generally it has everything I need). The phone is stunning, the interface is great and simple to use and everyone I've shown the phone to has been highly complimentary.

My one bug bear is the battery. I thought I'd try out all the suggestions here and wait a while before considering going back for an exchange (I got it from P4U in the UK). Since the 14 days are almost up I'm wondering if I should go exchange it. (Other than the battery issue everything else is fine...no dust on the front camera, no rattles inside, no popping noises at the top etc).

How long the battery lasts fluctuates a lot but generally this is what happens:

- Lasts from unplug at 7am to around 11pm on light usage - normally around 30% by this point if I've just been using it lightly
- Idle the phone drains about 3% each hour
- Once I left it overnight uncharged (8 hours) and it lost around 20%
- 1 hour phone call drains anything between 10 and 20%
- 40 minutes on Nokia Drive drained 20%
- Today I used the phone in a poor reception area for about an hour trying to surf the net, facebook, weave etc and it drained over 40%

My settings:

Email: one downloading emails as they arrive
Internet Sharing: off
WiFi: on but not automatically searching
Lock screen: Bing, 1 minute time out
Tap+Send: off
Battery saver: on under 20%
Brightness: auto
Background tasks turned on: Battery Level WP8, Nokia Reading, Weather, Weave - everything else blocked, including Nokia Drive+ Beta
Highest connection speed: 3G
Signal is very good in my home and at the office

Would I be wise to try to exchange the phone at P4U? I really love the phone so don't want to end up with one with a bad battery for two years!

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

peterpphoto

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I exchanged my black lumia twice so far and they both had battery issues. I tried a restore on my second one to see if that would fix it and it bricked and was stuck on the nokia screen. I followed the instructions on wpcentral on how to un-brick it and it worked and my battery is significantly better, but still not optimal.

cddigi

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I was getting bad battery life on my 920 I got on launch day. Some days it was fine, some bad. What got me to bring it back was that I I could be at 40% battery life, fall asleep during prime time television, wake up around 2am, and my phone would be dead or close to it. After returning my phone on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I've had amazing battery life. I can go a full 24 hours and still have about 30% left.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So your phone lasts from 7am to 11pm with 30% left? seems like you got a good battery. Now i am not sure what you mean by minimal use, but if you mean that you left your phone laying around without use and it dropped to 30%, i'd be concerned, but i usually am at 10-15% by 11pm taking off at 8am.

Now if you have any doubt in your m ind about the battery performance, exchange it.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Better to be safe then sorry like dkp23 said. I should mention though GPS on ANY device is going to suck the battery down A LOT. On my iPhone using the Maps program that sucker would drain like nobody's business so I am not that surprised with a 20% usage for 40 minutes. Low signal its the same deal most phones have that issue because the problem is with low signal/no signal areas especially when trying to move data because it has to work harder for a longer time. What in a good signal area could take 1 second in a low signal area can take a minute depending on your speeds your getting which means many more precious signals the cell phone is using its power hungry antenna to transmit data.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't sound like anything is wrong with your phone to me. Turn your battery saver on and kill some of those background tasks and you'll have energy to spare.

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I can sympathize with the OP, that 3% idle drain per hour, if not more (I was draining about 5% every thirty minutes today) can be a real problem. I personally wouldnt replace the phone, seeing as the chances of you getting an even worse lemon might be pretty high right now.

Finchee

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you're actually getting good battery life out of your phone.

I haven't tried using Nokia Drive yet, still waiting for my car dock. So far though, in my experience using Nokia Music with LTE drains my battery significantly. I actually think there's a software bug with it, or the music player in general, in that even after I have stopped listening for like more than 30 minutes or an hour, the top part of my phone is still warm as if it was still playing music, and my battery life is still draining faster than usual. The only fix I've found to this issue is to turn my phone off and on again. After I do that I notice that the top part of my phone cools down and it seems like battery drain is back to normal levels.

cruzr96

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of LTE drainage, does anyone here find that their 920 likes to warm up all of a sudden when it's idle? With all my background tasks off and nothing running, my phone started to get warm when I was in an area with poor connection and I lost battery life like crazy.

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your replies everyone. When it lasts till 11pm at 30% that was maybe 20 mins music, a handful of texts, a handful of emails, 5 minutes web browsing and using the calendar for maybe 5 minutes. So pretty light usage.

I'll see how it goes today before making a decision tomorrow on the 14 days. Like someone said I don't want to risk getting one that's even worse! I might try resetting it...

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
- Lasts from unplug at 7am to around 11pm on light usage - normally around 30% by this point if I've just been using it lightly
- Idle the phone drains about 3% each hour
- Once I left it overnight uncharged (8 hours) and it lost around 20%
- 1 hour phone call drains anything between 10 and 20%
- 40 minutes on Nokia Drive drained 20%
- Today I used the phone in a poor reception area for about an hour trying to surf the net, facebook, weave etc and it drained over 40%

- Your idling drainage is decent, not wonderful, but it all depends on how many emails, texts, and other things are coming through while idle. You said you receive emails as they come in so...
- For overnight, your battery is draining pretty fast. I assume this is not a time you are getting many (if any) texts, emails, etc.
- The phone has a 10hour voice estimate. 10% per hour is right on par with that
- Nokia Dirve is going to be a battery hog. I have never seen a device that doesn't get annihilated with GPS. 20% over 40 minuts is actually really good. I have been as high as 20% over 10 minutes.
- Poor reception is tough to judge. How long were things taking to load? If you were sitting there trying to load a site for ten minutes, I can see the issues. If stuff was loading pretty quick, 40% over an hour is pretty bad.

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I went for resetting it...it seems stuck on the spinning gears screen. Anyone know how long that's supposed to take?!

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks hardcoreplur. I ended up with a bricked phone stuck on the Nokia screen and the phone getting rather warm. Followed the instructions about fixing a bricked phone, worked perfectly. Now to see how the battery does...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb