Defects? What color Lumia do you own?

peterpphoto

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I own a black Lumia 920 and the front camera color shifts like crazy, I believe it shouldn't and is a software or a camera issue but I am not sure as I have no other phone to compare it to. I also have the creaking top near the speaker, loose glass near top and sim as well as dust on my front lens. Went to At&t yesterday and their demo model (Red) didn't have the creaking issue from what I saw. I have exchanged the phone twice as my first one was having serious battery issues, the second one had battery issues as well so I tried a hard reset and the phone was bricked. I followed the instruction in phone of the threads that tells you how to un-brick your phone and it worked. I have noticed since then the battery has been doing significantly better. I still have all the other issues but can't exchange it as I bought it from best buy and none of the local stores seem to have any in stock.

So far I have had 2 black 920's both with issues and I want to know if these issues seem to be more common in the black lumia's.

kcovert

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if its worth looking for a defect pattern here. Might even tell us something about supply and demand. I have a yellow unit which I ordered 11/7 and recived 11/14. I think this one, although originally in a backorder status, was a first batch phone, it has zero defects. I'm wondering if those that got their phones later on have a higher defect rate as Nokia was trying to catch up with demand.

Son ordered white one 11/7, received 11/9, no defects.

My box has made in China.

Last edited:

joshredraider

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, bought my Red Lumia 920 last Friday from the local AT&T store. Not sure if it was from original batch or not. I am in a small rural town, and kind of doubt they have sold very many units, seeing as how most of the demos are hidden way in the back. I do know the box did say it was made in China. If anyone has any other suggestions for where I can find out more information regarding which batch my particular phone came from, I will be happy to update this post.

Edit:
Well, I guess it would have been helpful to post that my phone appears to be free of many of the defects I have been reading about since launch. Kind of the whole purpose of this thread!!!

Here's hoping I got lucky.

Last edited:

peterpphoto

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I got mine day 1 and it had defects, but mine is black...I wonder if the black ones have a higher defect rate. I also read that some have gotten some made in china that are fine and the ones made in mexico have had issues. I am gonna trade mine in when they get more in stock but as much as I like the black I might have to get a different color if it's some kind of issue with black lumia's only

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Color doesn't make any difference whatsoever, and even if it did you're not going to notice any such trend in a poll on some forum.

Last edited:

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
First red 920, loose battery. Second red 920, sunken in power button and the screen went numb every time I plugged it in. First black 920, worst vibrate rattle yet and a light leak where the screen meets the body, bottom right side.

I think there's a high defect rate with the 920's in general. Nokia will hopefully be sending me a fourth phone. I have a call scheduled tomorrow morning, maybe I'll finally get lucky this time. I think I'll ask for a yellow one if I have a choice, though.

peterpphoto

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
First red 920, loose battery. Second red 920, sunken in power button and the screen went numb every time I plugged it in. First black 920, worst vibrate rattle yet and a light leak where the screen meets the body, bottom right side.

I think there's a high defect rate with the 920's in general. Nokia will hopefully be sending me a fourth phone. I have a call scheduled tomorrow morning, maybe I'll finally get lucky this time. I think I'll ask for a yellow one if I have a choice, though.

Who did you buy your phone from? Was it at&t, best buy or someone else. The reason I ask is you mention nokia will be sending you another one. I bought mine at best buy and an waiting for their stock to replenish but if I can go direct through Nokia that might be better.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Who did you buy your phone from? Was it at&t, best buy or someone else. The reason I ask is you mention nokia will be sending you another one. I bought mine at best buy and an waiting for their stock to replenish but if I can go direct through Nokia that might be better.

So far all of mine have come from AT&T. They refused to give me another exchange. I didn't think to go through Nokia either until someone suggested it to me. I sent an email to Stephen Elop, he sent me a short email and made sure someone contacted me on the matter. Hopefully it will get worked out over the phone tomorrow.

peterpphoto

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So far all of mine have come from AT&T. They refused to give me another exchange. I didn't think to go through Nokia either until someone suggested it to me. I sent an email to Stephen Elop, he sent me a short email and made sure someone contacted me on the matter. Hopefully it will get worked out over the phone tomorrow.

Went to best buy today to exchange my phone and 2 of the phones I looked at had the creaking issue near the sim but the 3rd on I looked at was good. Also on my new one the flash seems to work better and the front camera isn't as grainy and color shifty in lower light. Hopefully it holds. Still experiencing some battery issues but my last one got better after a hard reset, bricked phone repair and a week of charging so I have high hopes for this one.

joshredraider

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, thought I got lucky with my red 920, but noticed yesterday and today dust particles accumulating in my front facing camera, then looked closer and there is a definite gap that seems to be slowly growing between the screen housing and the polycarbonate body. It only seems to be happening at the top of the phone. I can now slide a business card in the gap at the top, but at the bottom and sides it is still tight. I know the battery is located towards the top of the phone, which is where it heats up when the battery is being taxed. Curious if this is causing the separation.

I have only had the phone since last Friday. If the dust gets too bad, I am taking it back on Monday to exchange it for another unit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720