Is glove typing even useful?

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Tried with relatively thick gloves, and worked perfectly. I wouldn't take it out when snowing, but it's a great feature to have during normal cold days without rain or snow.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's just a novelty feature to make the phone stand out from the crowd. If it really was needed it would have been implemented long ago. It's nothing revolutionary.

Pretty obvious you disn't read the posts above yours, where members described real-world use of this feature.

Gadgetman110

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
One of the main reasons I wanted this phone (besides the bonus of Windows 8 and Nokia awesomness) is because I ride a Harley and wanted to be able to use the phone for GPS navigation. I did this in the past with my old EVO but could not see the screen in the sunlight. Well THIS phone I can see the screen in direct sunlight just fine! And being able to push the screen and it respond with my gloves on is an added bonus!

si49

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Do you feel the phone is more prone to being dropped with gloves on? Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but seems relevant. My 900 without cases seems to slip out of my hand all the time and that's without gloves

Tyresian

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I love it. And I don't know if you guys have noticed, but compare using the 8X to the 920. With the super sensitivity turned on the 920 just feels better and faster to use.

Currently I use gloves that had capacitive thumbs and forefingers. It worked well with my previous phones but not 100% of the time. With the 920 they are amazing. Though in thinking of getting better insulated leaver gloves instead now that this phone will work with that. It is currently 20(F) degrees here and colder with windchill. With winter still coming it will be colder. This feature is very important to me. I hope this can become more standard on phones.

corsica

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I know I am being an ass here:

"Is Siri even useful?
I mean I can see that it's nice to show off and everything, but I hardly ever use it and If I do it diesn't understand me correctly half the time. Many people I know use it once to demonstrate and then never again..."
etc.

is glove typing useful? in some cases yes, in some cases no. Similar to Siri

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I know I am being an ass here:

"Is Siri even useful?
I mean I can see that it's nice to show off and everything, but I hardly ever use it and If I do it diesn't understand me correctly half the time. Many people I know use it once to demonstrate and then never again..."
etc.

is glove typing useful? in some cases yes, in some cases no. Similar to Siri

Not really.

Glove typing has more real practical usage in cold weather. The alternative is removing your gloves in the bitter cold just so you can press a few keys. It's so inconvenient that many just choose not to use their phones until they are indoors.

hahabowen

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's super useful especially when it comes winter time! i use it with gloves for browsing, gaming(like mirror's edge, pes2012,etc.), switching music...basically anything i normally use my 920 of. Typing is the trickiest part for me.. i use only my index finger to type and with the aid of the suggesting words, i've managed to type pretty fast, i'd say =] this is definitely one of the many many cool and useful features that L920 and only 920 allow me to do!! i've never been so pleased with my experience of new phones (like 1000x happier than those days i got my new iphone4).

SZRimaging

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
The dexterity, that someone else mentioned is a problem I wear thinner gloves when I'm not skiing (currently some North Face with touch material in them) and the dexterity isn't bad. I'm looking forward to being able to use glove liners, so I can just slide off my shells then use the phone. When it's 10F or below, any extra cloth on the hand is nice to have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss