Bye Bye Lumia...

Status
Not open for further replies.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
My GS3 international lasts about 2 days on stand by and at the very minimum a day and a half. The Note 2 is said to last way longer according to reviews and my HTC 8x is lucky to last until 1am, sometimes it won't even make 11pm, which is more than enough for me but it still pales in comparison to the Android phone you guys like to laugh about.

Also, the Note 2 doesn't try to be a smaller phone like the Lumia 920 does. As long as it is smaller than the LG Optimus Vu and Original Note, it passes the size test with lying colors. The Lumia 920 however, fails the size test hard considering most 4.7 and 4.8 inch phones are much, much easier to handle and pocket.

Android Central is right over there ----------->

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why some people can't believe there may an issue with their beloved Lumia 920s. I am on my second one and will probably return it for an 8x.

That's not what this is about. It's about people who post a few times and it's all about how they are trading their Windows Phone back in after 2 days and going back to Android/iPhone. That is completely pointless.

Coming here to post about legitimate problems in hopes of finding a solution is completely different.

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
If you love Samsung so much why are you on this forum ?? .. my phone is the shizz and not an expensive piece of lousy feeling plastic .. try running the note over with a car and see what happens

I have both. Probably wouldn't try to run any phone over with the car, so I'm not sure what the point of that was.

smackbo

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Cause this is totally what I base buying decisions on...

So what are u going to do spend 250 on a giant phone that's kinda flimsy running on a notoriously buggy OS and a stylist that gets lost in a month and then have to upgrade in a year anyway or spend 99 get a well built phone with great specs that's going to last and enjoy your phone then upgrade I mean Android is good and all but there is a reason the batteries are all removable .. its because at least once a week it freezes and the only way to restart it is to remove the battery .. believe me I've been there .. if you like Android great but please go tell people that give a sh!! On the Android forums .. Haha seriously why waste your time on this website If your in love with Android right ?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
So what are u going to do spend 250 on a giant phone that's kinda flimsy running on a notoriously buggy OS and a stylist that gets lost in a month and then have to upgrade in a year anyway or spend 99 get a well built phone with great specs that's going to last and enjoy your phone then upgrade I mean Android is good and all but there is a reason the batteries are all removable .. its because at least once a week it freezes and the only way to restart it is to remove the battery .. believe me I've been there .. if you like Android great but please go tell people that give a sh!! On the Android forums .. Haha seriously why waste your time on this website If your in love with Android right ?

Amen.

DallasFann

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
That's not what this is about. It's about people who post a few times and it's all about how they are trading their Windows Phone back in after 2 days and going back to Android/iPhone. That is completely pointless.

Coming here to post about legitimate problems in hopes of finding a solution is completely different.

Exactly. The L920 isn't for everyone nor is the 8X. All phones have problems in some way or another. It gets very old seeing these new forums started by what appear to be iOS or Android fans just to turn up the heat on WP. It is very easy to go to either the 920 or 8X forums and see an overwhelmingly large number of negative forums that have started by Andoid or iOS fans and most of them gave the device 2 days or less without even knowing about the devices they were buying.

Most of us haven't had any major issues with our devices or are willing to ride it out while they get fixed with firmware updates or os updates. WP8 is still a brand new OS after all.

smackbo

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have both. Probably wouldn't try to run any phone over with the car, so I'm not sure what he point of that was.

I'm just saying that my $99 phone is built much better than your $250 phone .. so if I accidentally drop mine I'm not completely screwed ..

smackbo

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Exactly .. so leave the Windows phone discussions to the people that use it and take your jealous propaganda elsewhere

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
I'm just saying that my $99 phone is built much better than your $250 phone .. so if I accidentally drop mine I'm not completely screwed ..

Pretty sure there's an extensive thread about the tops of peoples phones creaking and flexing (mine does and so did every display in the store). Another about dust in the FFC. Don't be 100% sold on the "built much better" notion. Gorgeous device though, no doubt.

smackbo

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure there's an extensive thread about the tops of peoples phones creaking and flexing (mine does and so did every display in the store). Another about dust in the FFC. Don't be 100% sold on the "built much better" notion. Gorgeous device though, no doubt.
Yeah I read that thread and its the sim card door that's kinda loose wow ... And when you push on it .. it moves a little .. and dust is dust it gets everywhere you just have to take care of your stuff .. but I'm glad you like the phone I like the note but for the price and reliability of Android .. I feel that the lumia 920 was the best deal .. seeing how any phone you buy now days is obsolete in 6 months anyway

Raduc78

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My lumia was getting horrible battery life when I first got it. This lasted for 3 days, after that I?ve been amaze with the battery on this phone. I have an ATT unlimited data plan and as a test I stream music from Xbox music for 3.5 hours over LTE, and I only lost 15% of my battery, and music was not the only thing I was doing, I didn't turn anything off except for the Wi-Fi (don?t need it); emails, notifications, live tiles, everything is running on default settings, and I only lost 10% my old one X is usually showed closed to a 40% drainage by the same time with only 2 hour of streaming.

Then I heard that people loosing up to 40% of battery life when recording video in 1080P after just 4 min of recording. Well I took my lumia for a drive and started recording. I recorded 10 something min of 1080p footage and only lost 7% percent battery. During the honeymoon period with the phone my phone got off the charger at 5:00am and back to it around 10:00pm with 35% to 40% of its charge and now with just regular use am almost always above 50%.

Seeing so many people report problems with the battery tells me that there?s definitely something going on with it, but I know from first hand than when the phone works like is supposed to work, is an amazing piece of hardware.

If Nokia manages to fix the camera before Apple and anyone from camp Google get its next generation of hardware out and Microsoft manages to persuade more developers to develop for the platform, this phone will be untouchable, and that?s coming from someone that have used both IOS and Android.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Some people around these forums crack me up with their RAWR GTFO mentality. I sometimes get the feeling that they are offended that someone else didn't like their smartphone/device of choice. What works for you might not work for the next person. If that was the case, we would all be running around with the same exact phone if there was a clear winner. Be mad at something else other than things like this. There is a whole world that could use some of that anger put towards a good cause. Grow the He!! up.

Ha ha, you should go to the Apple forums if you think it's bad here! These posts are mild in comparison. I will never understand how some folks get an almost 'religious fevor' over their OS/tech of choice. It's almost like their self-esteem is tied to their gadgets. I suppose for some it is.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ha ha, you should go to the Apple forums if you think it's bad here! These posts are mild in comparison. I will never understand how some folks get an almost 'religious fevor' over their OS/tech of choice. It's almost like their self-esteem is tied to their gadgets. I suppose for some it is.

Most people don't care about what OS you use. It's "Bye bye lumia" posts that get people angry.

kenstervf

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I had my phone for 7 days before returning it to the Microsoft store. Didn't want to wait until the 13th or 14th day where they may make it difficult on me to get my $450 back. I really like the phone. Wished I didn't have to return it. I'm a Microsoft fan. Love my Surface btw.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Most people don't care about what OS you use. It's "Bye bye lumia" posts that get people angry.

I've been reading/posting on forums for many, many years and I find that there is a subset of people on each and every one who are absolutely over the top about their OS of choice. To the point of being obnoxious. You're right, the sane people don't care about what OS someone else uses but there are some who are really nasty to those who pick something different.

And why even get angry about a 'bye, bye' post. If you don't like them, don't read them. I find that some are actually informative as to the problems a gadget may or not have. What I hate is a forum that's just full of how great a gadget is. That tells me nothing when I'm researching my purchases. The OP posted why he decided to return his phone. His choice. It doesn't work for him, whatever the reasons. No reason to flame him. Post some solutions for his problems that others may find useful and let it go.

I'm 61 years old and I have found that the world is too small and life is too short to get angry over something as silly as this.

leftturney

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's 4:30 in the P.M. here, time since last charge shows 9 hours ago. 75% remaining battery, estimated 22 hours remaining. 4 email accounts syncing, 2 syncing as items arrive. Wifi is always on, bluetooth is always on. 35 tiles on my home screen, 13 of which are live tiles. I have rec'd 41 emails since going off charger, sent 4 and rec'd 3 txts, posted on facebook twice and commented 4 pics, and streamed bluetooth for 1 hour in the car this morning. That's not exactly pushing the phone hard but on my old phone I would easily be at 50% remaining, before streaming 1 hour of music.

Anonymous7532479

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Some people around these forums crack me up with their RAWR GTFO mentality. I sometimes get the feeling that they are offended that someone else didn't like their smartphone/device of choice. What works for you might not work for the next person. If that was the case, we would all be running around with the same exact phone if there was a clear winner. Be mad at something else other than things like this. There is a whole world that could use some of that anger put towards a good cause. Grow the He!! up.
I agree. I lurk on various forums for Android, iOS, WP, etc - and each has their own set of rabid, foaming "fans". It's comical, yet attempting to sift through the West Side Story rivalries is definitely tiring. I assume we all come on here because we enjoy following smartphone technology? I'm not sure why some people get so defensive? You should be able to recognize the pros and cons of each phone/OS, or you're probably not being honest with us (and yourself). Okay, so someone doesn't like "your" phone? I...apologize? You'll be okay, I promise ;)

I've owned a handful of Blackberries, the iPhone 3GS and 5, a ton of Androids, and now I'm on my first Windows Phone. Some were horrible, some fantastic, and some were blah. I have various opinions, but try to remain disloyal to any particular company.

I'm hoping that a lot of the ****** mentality has to do with age? I remember being a frothing ****** for other hobbies when I was a teenager - but then I grew up, started facing real-life s***, and eventually I gained some perspective and calmed down. Unless you designed the product, or had to assemble them in some Chinese sweatshop yourself, why bother getting so caught up?

Anyway, to bring this back to the thread topic: I'm on the Lumia 822 now, and I generally get at least 24 hours of moderate to heavy use (a lot of social networking, texting, and web browsing - don't spend much time streaming media, fwiw). It's a fantastic device, I never thought I'd be saying that about a Windows product (never really been a huge fan of the OS, until now). The OP mentioned switching to the Note 2? That looks like a great device too! I would love to try one. I have upgrades available, but I'd rather spend a few months getting to know WP8 instead of shelling out $300 for another phone.

-mcskipp

kenstervf

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It's 4:30 in the P.M. here, time since last charge shows 9 hours ago. 75% remaining battery, estimated 22 hours remaining. 4 email accounts syncing, 2 syncing as items arrive. Wifi is always on, bluetooth is always on. 35 tiles on my home screen, 13 of which are live tiles. I have rec'd 41 emails since going off charger, sent 4 and rec'd 3 txts, posted on facebook twice and commented 4 pics, and streamed bluetooth for 1 hour in the car this morning. That's not exactly pushing the phone hard but on my old phone I would easily be at 50% remaining, before streaming 1 hour of music.

If you are getting such great battery life then it must be the defective hardware/battery that I had. I don't see how software update will fix other people's battery life since your is working amazingly well.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Back to the Microsoft Store he went. Really liked Windows Phone 8 OS though. Battery life is my main issue, which averaged about 10hrs. Others have claimed to have lasted 15+ hrs. I didn't want to wait and see if the battery life will improve over time.

Waiting for my Samsung Note 2 to arrive.
I just can't understand what people are doing to get poor battery life. I use my phone heavily and I can easily get 20 hours before getting to 20%. My wife's phone is the same way. Plain and simply, the L920 has the longest battery life I've ever seen in a smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss